Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do we deserve 4 champions league places?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Watching Barcelona V Man City.

It's a bit like watching a premier league team v a championship side.

Looking at the performances of our qualifying teams this season, do we deserve 4 entries next season?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
It's a broken record I know, but it should be the Champions of each country only in that competition, as well as the previous seasons winners.

As for this game, it is dire, someone said they were watching Barcelona, someone else quipped, "so are Man City". Then again, there have been quite a few poor games in this years CL, perhaps it's just a tired format, in need of a major overhaul. It's too big, there's too much emphasis on its 'importance', and I think it's damaged domestic competition, which after all is what the fans (real fans who go to games) want.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
The commentators were trying so hard to make that sound like City had a chance, when it was patently obvious that Barca were basically in cruise control because there was no need for them to go all out. Even then, but for a superb performance from Joe Hart it would have been a far more comfortable winning margin on the night.

As far as the original question, on the evidence of this season you'd have to say no.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Of course not.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think over the course of the last few seasons, we still have enough credits in the bank to merit 4 competitors in the competition.

In the last 10 years we've provided 8 finalists with 3 winners.

We had 1 semi finalist last season, a winner in 2012, finalist in 2011.

It is a tough competition, but our record still stands up against the Germans, Spanish, French and Italians, especially when you consider our finalists have come from 4 different clubs with 3 different winners in the last decade.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I think over the course of the last few seasons, we still have enough credits in the bank to merit 4 competitors in the competition.

It is a tough competition, but our record still stands up against the Germans, Spanish, French and Italians, especially when you consider our finalists have come from 4 different clubs with 3 different winners in the last decade.
That's an oligopoly. They need to re brand the tournament.

el punal

Having the misfortune to watch the Chelsea v PSG tie last week, which over a two hour period showed everything that is wrong in football, I would prefer it if we returned to the original format. That is, a straight forward knock-out tournament involving ONLY the league champions of each country plus the European Cup holders.

It would never happen of course, the fat cats would make sure of that.

Harry H

Comfortably numb.
Aug 11, 2010
Unfortunately,the stupid seeding system saw City and Liverpool who finished First and Second......unseeded,and therefore given harder qualification.
While Chelsea and Arsenal who finished Third and Fourth were seeded and got easy groups.

Watching Barcelona play football on the floor with skill,pace and great technique showed how archaic the British game is.

Chelsea are going to win the Premiership playing little decent football,but by bullying the oppo into submission.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.

Thanks bold because up till i read your post the shine had really come off the Prem for me

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Having the misfortune to watch the Chelsea v PSG tie last week, which over a two hour period showed everything that is wrong in football, I would prefer it if we returned to the original format. That is, a straight forward knock-out tournament involving ONLY the league champions of each country plus the European Cup holders.

It would never happen of course, the fat cats would make sure of that.

We play differently to Spain, always have and probably always will. Same as the Germans play different to the Italians and they different to the Spanish. Look at the stats and of the last 10 finals, according to Bold, we have won 30% of the finals. Of the 20 finalists, we have 40% of them.

We currently deserve 4 places because that is what the system states. Obviously if we continue to fall then only a country that currently has fewer places could pinch one of ours.

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/

As you can see, we are currently ranked 2nd.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
I know it is fashionable to bash the Premier League, but the fact we had nearly a 1/4 of the representatives of the round of 16 suggests that yes, we do deserve four

Germany, England and Spain are the three best leagues in Europe so with the current format and the presmise that it is the best clubs in Europe competing against each other, it is right they are the leagues allocated the four spots.

Where else could a Premier League spot go? Italy who could only get their completely dominant champions out of the group stage, France who were likewise thanks to the financial might of PSG and Monaco (and even if the Monaco owner has scaled back, they still have a good side), or Holland who got nobody out of the groups?

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
One per country plus previous winner. We are heading slowly towards a european league

Let them go away and get on with it.

Football is terrible these days. Realistically only 3 teams can win the Premier League and maybe 4 or 5 can win the Champions League.

We'll never see the days of Nottingham Forest or Aston Villa winning either again. It's a cartel.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Let's do the maths

Last 16 of this years champions league contained

3 Spanish

Barcelona
Real Madrid
Athletico Madrid

4 Germans

Munich
Dortmund
Shalke
Leverkusen

3 English

Man city
Chelsea
Arsenal

2 French

PSG
Monaco

1 Portuguese

Porto

1 Swiss

Basel

Ukraine 1

Donetsk

Italy 1

Juventus

So out of 4 teams we had 3 in the knockout stages.
France had 2
Italy 1
Portugal 1

Whilst I think our stock is falling I think we are still deserving of the 4 spots for the next few years.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here