Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

You Be The Ref - Bournemouth's disallowed goal

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Help me settle an online argument.

See the video here:
http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/9765017/controversy-as-bournemouth-goal-disallowed

The rules state:

[12.17 PREVENTING THE GOALKEEPER FROM RELEASING THE BALL INTO PLAY

An opponent may not prevent the goalkeeper from releasing the ball from his hands. While players have a right to maintain a position achieved during the normal course of play, they may not try to block the goalkeeper's movement while he is holding the ball or do anything which hinders, interferes with, or blocks the goalkeeper who is throwing or kicking the ball back into play.]

So the only question is whether he knew he might be in the way of the goalie's planned kick. I believe he did, and I think it's a bit silly to suggest he's someone who's never played football before and has no idea how a right footed keeper kicks a ball.

Therefore I think the ref got it spot on, as in my opinion the player knows exactly what he is doing by standing there in the line with the keeper's planned kick.

Thoughts?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Obstruction , the ref called it right.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If it was a disallowed Bournemouth goal I'm going to call it as spot on, without even looking at the footage :smile:

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Didn't know the referees were allowed to give a controversial decisions against Bournemouth with Eddy in charge. I'm sure the ref must have gone an apologised to him after the match for forgetting.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Had they guy moved into the direction of the kick then I would agree with the ref but he was stood still with his back to the keeper. The keeper has the whole of the area to kick the ball, he knew exactly where the ball was going to end up by kicking it from where he did.

I'd have given the goal

The Rattler

NSC Patreon
Jun 30, 2010
Dullsville, Herts
Talking of referees, anyone else think last night's was incompetent?

i.e. Joe Bennett’s free-kick last night (the one highlight) which hit the bar - ball rebounded to the edge of the box and Bennett headed it - should have been a free-kick to them as nobody else played the ball between his two touches but ref completely missed it.

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
I wouldn't have interpreted that rule as requiring the goal to be disallowed, I must say. Wilson was standing outside the box with his back to goal. The keeper was able freely to release the ball from his hands, and should have taken more care as to where he kicked it. Not really sure how that rule means the only question is whether Wilson knew that he might be in the way of the ball's trajectory, to be honest.

Dec 29, 2011
Just by standing their the striker knew he would force the keeper to go around him, hence he hinders the normal course of what the 'keeper would have done. Having his back turned is neither here nor there IMO, he's still looking at the keeper so he might as well be face on anyway.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Tough one.

Yes, he was standing (side on) well away from the keeper, but as soon as the keeper went to kick it, Wilson turned his back which could be a distraction.
At no point did he make a definite move towards the ball or move from the spot.

Seeing as it's Bournemouth, it's a penalty & red card for the keeper for dangerously kicking the ball at Wilson.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

i.e. Joe Bennett’s free-kick last night (the one highlight) which hit the bar - ball rebounded to the edge of the box and Bennett headed it - should have been a free-kick to them as nobody else played the ball between his two touches but ref completely missed it.

Does necessarily make the ref 'incompetent'? A bit obscure and harsh imo.

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York

I think that would be the case if it was a penalty. There is no problem passing the ball to another player even if the free kick is "direct"?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here