Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Striker on trial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

Jul 5, 2003
bed
Albion are giving an extended trial to rookie striker Carl Wilson-Denis.

The 20-year-old former Kingstonian front man teamed up with the Seagulls last week for pre-season training.

Wilson-Denis has impressed enough so far for boss Steve Coppell to stretch his stay.

Coppell's assistant Bob Booker said: "He just got recommended to the manager.

"He looks a little bit raw but there is something about him, so we have extended the trial.

"There's no time limit on it. He is just going to stay with us and hopefully we can watch him in a match situation."

The powerfully built Wilson-Denis could be given a run-out in Albion's opening pre-season friendly at Arundel next Wednesday.

The Battersea-born prospect has been playing for Mullingar Town in the Eircom under 21 League in Southern Ireland after featuring in Kingstonian's youth, reserve and first teams.

"I was over there for a season and could have gone back but I wanted to try and see what I can get over here first," he said.

"I am enjoying the training. I just want to try and get a contract down here and see how far I can go.

"I'm good at holding up the ball and holding off defenders. I'm a right-footed player but I'm decent with my left foot as well and I'm quite quick.

"I don't know much about Brighton as a club but I have seen what a good player Bobby Zamora is on the telly and I've heard good things about him. I would love to play with him."

Meanwhile, Booker has revealed the mental battle Dutch No. 1 Michel Kuipers faces to overcome a persistent thigh injury which required surgery and has ruled him out since January.

"He's had a summer of coming in for treatment and getting his strength back," Booker said. "I think a lot of it is still in his head after having a big injury like that.

"It plays on the mind of some players, so he has got to come through that. He's not kicking flat out yet. That is going to be a gradual process through pre-season."

Centre half Dean Blackwell is now expected to have a second scan on his knee injury on Friday.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
"Kitson, i hearby sentence you to 2 years hard labour cracking pebbles on Brighton beach. You will, as requested, be supplied with a spare back. Science has allowed us these manacles that mean you may never remain immobile. If you drop below 5 miles an hour, you will explode, raining a shower of recognisable shite on the fair people of Brighthelmstone.
Now get a f***ing wriggle on you runt!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here