Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Puppy training with a clicker

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Has anyone tried this?

Seems a bit of a gimmick, but with 10 week El Poochie joining the household I'm keen to get him into good habits ASAP.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Puppy mats sounded like a gimmick but they really work. It's a great way to get puppy to do his business somewhere it won't wreck the carpet. My six month old pup got into the habit within weeks, and now he's six months old and completely house trained.

Praise and treats also helped him learn sit, lie down and roll over. Not sure a clicker is really necessary tbh,

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We had a repellent aerosol spray to stop our less than intelligent dog from eating everything.
In theory you gave it a short sharp blast in his face when doing something unpleasant.

In practise it ended up with the dog running off carrying a dead rabbit, the wife chasing the dog, luzzing said can at the dog.

Gotta love training, esp when training an absolute feckin idiot..

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
What variety is El Poochie?

English Setter

image.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's a real shame you couldn't get a really, really cute puppy. :lolol:

He doesn't look like he'll be any trouble at all. :lolol:

He certainly won't rule over your next 15 years :lolol:

One upside is you'll never drop food on the kitchen floor, ever again.
Having become dog free recently I was amazed just how many scraps fell to the floor.
Previously they just 'disappeared' on the way down.

Godstar

Jan 18, 2012
Sodom..or is it Gomorrah!
Has anyone tried this?

Seems a bit of a gimmick, but with 10 week El Poochie joining the household I'm keen to get him into good habits ASAP.

We've got a 6 month old Boston Terrier & were told by a trainer to use a clicker & it has worked wonders. Everything from tricks to walking on a loose lead we clicked (although most things were/are rewarded with a treat, but they are getting fewer & fewer). Have now progressed to using it on the 10yr old son but it might take a bit longer, he's not as bright as the pooch!!

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

The Rattler

NSC Patreon
Jun 30, 2010
Dullsville, Herts
Excellent thread - has single-handedly changed 'her indoors' view of NSC which is suddenly not a complete waste of my time.

Now all I need is a thread titled "Why Dave is a good name for a 6-week old Cockapoo" and I'm sorted...

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Puppy mats sounded like a gimmick but they really work. It's a great way to get puppy to do his business somewhere it won't wreck the carpet. My six month old pup got into the habit within weeks, and now he's six months old and completely house trained.

Praise and treats also helped him learn sit, lie down and roll over. Not sure a clicker is really necessary tbh,

What are puppy mats? Newspaper is the standard way of house training, reducing the amount of paper over time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Now all I need is a thread titled "Why Dave is a good name for a 6-week old Cockapoo" and I'm sorted...
Not a lot wrong with Dave.

Although my judgement might be questionable as this air-headed show pony was called ...

Albion pets 005.jpg

...Lionel.

(Still terribly missed)

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
He looks pretty miserable to me...I only have to mention training and my dog legs it. I can throw a treat on the floor, he looks at me, guesses trouble and he's off. Yes I have a clicker but he's never been close enough to hear it! and it cost £3!! No the clicker.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Has anyone tried this?

When I had a dog I could click my fingers for his attention. I don't understand why anyone would buy a clicker when we have them attached to our hands :shrug:

What happens when you lose, misplace or forget your clicker ???

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Our little westie pup is 14 weeks old now, been going out regularly down the park with our other westie who is 2yrs but the pup is still going toilet indoors.
How long you think before she stops shitting indoors?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here