Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Right wing problems (not in the political sense)

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Last night exemplified one of our biggest problems. This problem manifested itself in the form of Dan Harding. In previous seasons it's been a delight playing against him, as we always had someone who gave him a torrid time (Buckley, William) and he'd have a shocker that resulted in bookings, sendings off and prompt substitution.

Last night he got it so, so easy. We had no creative input down that flank. Needs sorting.

Last edited:

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
It does beg the question of why we got Ledesma in on loan to cover March's injury if we're going to just keep playing Calde there.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Calderon may have popped up with the odd goal lately, have nice hair and do lots of charity work but is he a Championship standard right sided midfielder? No

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Seems a waste of a loan.. I hope that we will sign an authentic right sided midfielder during the summer.

I think the intention was to take Ledesma for 93 days not to send him back after the 28 days initial loan runs out. There has to be a contingency plan to cover for players being shuffled about due to suspensions , injuries and dips in form.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
It's both wings, now Baldock is injured Calde is probably our best winger

Based on last night this is true with LuaLua playing more centrally than on the wing.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Calderon may have popped up with the odd goal lately, have nice hair and do lots of charity work but is he a Championship standard right sided midfielder? No

He has been playing well by his standards. So many times he has been in the right position but unable to stop the opponent because of a lack of physical attributes, speed and in the air. God forbid if he plays badly. Reminds me of when I payed football, not being able to keep up with the pacier players, despite my skills being as good in other respects.

I think Lualua should play more centrally (in the absence of Tex) but as CH says there may not have been enough time on the training field. Play the better players where the action is and if a player is as two footed as Lualua is there are much more options for him nearer the centre of the pitch.

As WA says Lualua should push further forward. I know he is not so good unless the ball is in front of him (therefore he tends to drop deeper) but not many of our players are any good at running into space up front, gambling on a pass. Baldock as shown he could do so. He reminds me of Hoskins.

I think Baldock plays better on the right hand side.

Last edited:

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
He had a chance at Reading, and was shocking. Dreadful.

I'm not saying Calde is the answer, so Ledesma certainly isn't - at least on that showing anyway.

Perhaps but Ledesma is a natural wide player and to not have a run in the team when we have no recognised right winger is questionable. I don't expect him to be incredible (if he was he'd be fighting to get in the squad at Middlesbrough) but I am concerned with his lack of apperances and our lack of natural width. Surely it would be prudent to give him a run the team so he can try and develop some form instead of playing a rightback out of position.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Perhaps but Ledesma is a natural wide player and to not have a run in the team when we have no recognised right winger is questionable. I don't expect him to be incredible (if he was he'd be fighting to get in the squad at Middlesbrough) but I am concerned with his lack of apperances and our lack of natural width. Surely it would be prudent to give him a run the team so he can try and develop some form instead of playing a rightback out of position.

Calde played right midfield in Spain before he came to the Albion.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here