Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Hippodrome

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Noticing a picture from a friend on Facebook of the old Hippodrome in Brighton that said a thousand words I wondered why buildings like this have to go through this. The Dome in Worthing struggled for years before people realised what was actually there.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
referring to the on/off development of the site? they go through this because of the conflict between those who want anything historic preserved in aspic what ever the consequences, and those that want to reuse or redevelop out of date buildings that are no longer fit for purpose (or purpose gone). in between the to-and-fro time takes its toll and the place falls further into disrepair.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
I hope it can be used again but think the ones trying to save it against developers are the ones that will kill it in the end. The time has passed for what it was built for. I like how the Music Library has been transformed by Cote. The Corn Exchange and Stables have been adapted for other uses, time to move on. I'm afraid those most wanting to preserve it will kill it in the end with misplaced kindness.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I hope it can be used again but think the ones trying to save it against developers are the ones that will kill it in the end. The time has passed for what it was built for. I like how the Music Library has been transformed by Cote. The Corn Exchange and Stables have been adapted for other uses, time to move on. I'm afraid those most wanting to preserve it will kill it in the end with misplaced kindness.
It's a good point with the Dome - lovely building, but we didn't need a stable in the middle of town and it's 'new' use as a concert hall is far better. Sadly we don't really need variety theatres in the 21st century and no amount of wishing or pretending is going to alter that fact.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Noticing a picture from a friend on Facebook of the old Hippodrome in Brighton that said a thousand words I wondered why buildings like this have to go through this. The Dome in Worthing struggled for years before people realised what was actually there.

Forsoothe ! ye should live your liffe in Stratford-upon-Avon and come ye not in to the future

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
We have the Dome, the Theatre Royal, Brighton Centre and more cinemas than you can shake a stick at. It's a shame because the Hippodrome is part of many Brighton lives and an iconic building of its time. Sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and say that there is little constructive use for the building and it's going to have to go. Bit like the West Pier - there was just no way it was going to get replaced - just not viable in the 21st century. I still have serious doubts ove the i360 though. I fear City tax payers have been put at risk by this project.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Is there not a gap in the market for a live music venue of about that size? I don't get to gigs much anymore, but I seem to recall that often Brighton misses out on those bands that are too big to play the Concorde but not big enough for the Brighton Centre (and for some reason the Dome doesn't really seem to pick up many rock gigs). Basically an "Academy"-style venue.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
Is there not a gap in the market for a live music venue of about that size? I don't get to gigs much anymore, but I seem to recall that often Brighton misses out on those bands that are too big to play the Concorde but not big enough for the Brighton Centre (and for some reason the Dome doesn't really seem to pick up many rock gigs). Basically an "Academy"-style venue.

Spot on. More bands playing Worthing Pier now as they are too big for the Concorde but could not fill out the Dome or Centre.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Is there not a gap in the market for a live music venue of about that size?

cant install necessary sound insulation. well at least not without damaging or covering the decor. see, people move into the centre of towns to be near the hussle and bussle, grow old and decide that noisey establishments need to be restricted. and the people, too much hussle and bussle you see.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

It's in a residential area, and there are planning laws covering that.

Same issues as with the Astoria in Gloucester Place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here