Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Really worried about Liam

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I'm really worried that Likkle Liam will struggle to maintain his focus, now that his uncle Gus has departed. That might have a negative impact on his chances of winning the 'ballon d'or', which was surely destined for him. Let's hope that the judges focus on his stunning goal for Southampton earlier in the season when deliberating. They will obviously already be familiar with his box to box runs, his ability to ghost past defenders as if they weren't there and his defence splitting pinpoint passing ability. Combine this with his uncanny knack of scoring match winning goals on a regular basis. Is there a more worthy recipient of such a prestigious award?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I'm really worried that Likkle Liam will struggle to maintain his focus, now that his uncle Gus has departed. That might have a negative impact on his chances of winning the 'ballon d'or', which was surely destined for him. Let's hope that the judges focus on his stunning goal for Southampton earlier in the season when deliberating. They will obviously already be familiar with his box to box runs, his ability to ghost past defenders as if they weren't there and his defence splitting pinpoint passing ability. Combine this with his uncanny knack of scoring match winning goals on a regular basis. Is there a more worthy recipient of such a prestigious award?
A step too far for me.

I am delighted by the arrogant and overly self-serving Poyet's downfall as I think a manager can and should be a bit different, but Bridcutt's end of Albion shortcomings I put in the "not great but understandable" category.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
who?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
He'll soon lose focus when Gus gets another job.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Blimey. I wonder if other clubs fans have this obsession with players that have left them and continue with incessant vitriol thrown in their direction.

Certainly on the Huddersfield board, ther tends to be the " ho hum, he's gone" attitude rather than what appears on here.. I.e. How could he possibly have left the best team in the world with the best fans...it's so bad...booohooo!

He has gone...get over it!

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Blimey. I wonder if other clubs fans have this obsession with players that have left them and continue with incessant vitriol thrown in their direction.

Certainly on the Huddersfield board, ther tends to be the " ho hum, he's gone" attitude rather than what appears on here.. I.e. How could he possibly have left the best team in the world with the best fans...it's so bad...booohooo!

You obviously don't look at a lot of other football message boards. Strangely enough this particular aspect of the human condition, called schadenfreude, isn't the sole preserve of people who support Brighton and Hove Albion.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
It is easy to be smug about Poyet and Bridcutt but I do feel a little sad for Liam. His stock had risen hugely under Poyet's time with us.

So when we missed out on promotion and Poyet wanted away it was an interesting test of loyalty for Liam. Stay with the club knowing it was seemingly in the ascendant (at that time) - or opt for a chance to play in the PL and an easy payday under the same manager? What dizzy heights would his career achieve from there?

It was disappointing that he chose the latter but not entirely surprising. For me it was the manner of his departure that was annoying, allowing the distraction to badly affect his playing form. Never mind, we got a few million reasons to move on and was made that bit more acceptable by his collapse in playing form.

The sad thing is that we know he is a better player than that. But he has to live with the consequences of his decisions. Knowing the mix of Poyet, internal politics, pressures and expectations at Sunderland there was always a risk that the wheels could come off. It will be interesting to see where Liam goes from here.

I'm not one of fantasists who would welcome Poyet back in a flash, as he still has far too many questions to answer - plus there will always be a question about his loyalty to be trusted at our Club again. Above all I cannot see Tony rowing back on a dismissal for gross misconduct. But I do think Bridcutt would have something to offer at Championship level, given the right coaching and motivation. It will be interesting to see whether Liam tries to reinvigorate his career or just grubs around at Sunderland.

As someone else suggested it would be interesting to see the Bridcutt of two seasons ago sitting behind a midfield of Kayal, Stephens and Ince etc.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

How many Huddersfield players of the season for two years have gone on strike to get a transfer to the team that the old Huddersfield boss has gone to? I think they may feel differently to "Ho Hum he's gone" then

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
How many Huddersfield players of the season for two years have gone on strike to get a transfer to the team that the old Huddersfield boss has gone to? I think they may feel differently to "Ho Hum he's gone" then

Well Peltier made it clear that he was unhappy and rumours were that he had told the management that he wanted away and there was no point picking him even though he was player of the season...he went very soon after to leeds and then returned after he decided that the grass wasn't greener...then he was farmed out to forest and now he is at Cardiff. There was no real animosity where there could have been. Funnily enough there was only an issue with that chap who was supposed to be coming to us instead choosing middlesboro...but again that died down.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
Why are you worrying about a player that doesn't play for the Albion?

why do you care what people want to discuss on here? as far as the subject is concerned he's a former player of the year who left under a cloud shortly after the manager left under an even bigger cloud who he then followed to the PL. are you really shocked that some still have an opinion on him and want to discuss it? if the answer is yes, i'm going to guess that you've never been to a game or talked football with some fellow fans.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
calde dunk ( new ) (new/bennett)

kayal tex ince ( mccourt sub) stephens

cog...new ........we are , currently, rather pony...!

why do you care what people want to discuss on here? as far as the subject is concerned he's a former player of the year who left under a cloud shortly after the manager left under an even bigger cloud who he then followed to the PL. are you really shocked that some still have an opinion on him and want to discuss it? if the answer is yes, i'm going to guess that you've never been to a game or talked football with some fellow fans.

This.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Quite. It's really quite feeble how some people take great offence at people having an opinion of former employees, especialy if they're negative opinions. It's a message board FFS.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Quite. It's really quite feeble how some people take great offence at people having an opinion of former employees, especialy if they're negative opinions. It's a message board FFS.

Yes. Some people get equally angry about attendance-related discussions (which I happen to find quite fascinating, in a harmless sort of way) or those threads we used to get about how far we've come since the dark days (the implication being we're a Massive Club now and shouldn't settle for anything less than a Champions League spot).

There are plenty of threads that don't interest me on here, and I find the best policy is not to wade in when that's the case.

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
the pitbull can go back to non league football----at least thats what the sunderland fans said when we met them by chance in a manchester pub prior to bolton game, they didnt have anytrhing better to say about gus either !

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Wherever Bridcutt goes to next, I expect he will flourish. It's pretty obvious that Sunderland are a very toxic club and have been under their last 3-4 managers now. Added to which, he happened to be playing in the same position as Lee Cattermole, who despite his obvious limitations as a footballer, is revered up there, so Bridcutt was always going to be compared unfavourably on that score. He's young enough and strong enough to bounce back and do well for whoever he plays for next, possibly a club that is promoted from the Championship or for a club seeking promotion from that division.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here