Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Errrrrmm.... No it's not.

image.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And after all the abuse I got last year when simply asking what everyone was doing to celebrate EU Day (May 9th if you're wondering) it's a firm no from me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I take it the OP means November 20th, which is St Edmund Day, to some the true Patron Saint of England.

Isn't the support of St Edmund just another tired vehicle for xenophobia?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I have to say regardless whether your the type to get excited about St Georges Day I didn't see many plastics out in Brighton yesterday, reckon that's had its day....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
To be fair, those Guinness hats aside, I don't have an issue with St Patrick's day.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

No, the opposite. It'll never happen but it is amusing pointing out to the "Damn PC liberals won't let us celebrate St George's Day!" lot that St George was actually a FOREIGNER whereas St Edmund is a TRIED and TESTED English saint. So get your foreign saint out of our country!

I've no doubt though that some xenophobes support the 'St Edmund for England' campaign. Similarly I'd long wanted the wyvern standard (that Harold fought under at Hastings) to be the English flag, and I'm slightly preturbed to see it's now become a sort-of right wing emblem. Oh well.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Saints == Catholic Church :tosser:

No, C of E has saints too.

Interestingly, there are two Saint Edmunds, both English and both with feast days in November. Edmund the Martyr is indeed 20 Nov, while St Edmund Rich is on 16 November - I knew about the former, but not the latter,

Brovion is right: we need a TRIED and TESTED English saint - it's curious to note that of the four patron saints of the British Isles, only David is from the country he represents

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
No, C of E has saints too.

Interestingly, there are two Saint Edmunds, both English and both with feast days in November. Edmund the Martyr is indeed 20 Nov, while St Edmund Rich is on 16 November - I knew about the former, but not the latter,

Brovion is right: we need a TRIED and TESTED English saint - it's curious to note that of the four patron saints of the British Isles, only David is from the country he represents

Same diff.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

If you say so, never mind you living in Germany means you don't have to worry about who is and is not celebrated. Those that want to celebrate whichever patron Saint are free to do so imo. You shove whatever cliche you want in....from miles away.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If you say so, never mind you living in Germany means you don't have to worry about who is and is not celebrated. Those that want to celebrate whichever patron Saint are free to do so imo. You shove whatever cliche you want in....from miles away.

What is wrong with St George then?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here