Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What a marvellous family

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Dead Syria fighters' brother, 16, banned from travel
Rebel fighters in a village north of Aleppo in Syria The boy's brothers were killed fighting in Syria's civil war

A 16-year-old boy whose two elder brothers were killed fighting in Syria's civil war has been barred from travelling abroad.

Mr Justice Hayden made the boy a ward of court, which bars him from leaving the jurisdiction of England and Wales.

The judge made the ruling in the Family Division of the High Court in London after social services raised fears he could travel to Syria.

He said the teenager could not be named.

But he said the local authority which had applied for the teenager to be made a ward of court was Brighton and Hove City Council.

Lawyers said it was thought to be the first time a family court judge had been asked to take such an approach to prevent a boy going to fight in Syria.
'Extraordinary family'

The court heard staff at the local authority had learned family members were making plans for the teenager to go on a trip to Dubai during the Easter holiday.

The judge said he was concerned to "keep this lad alive" and an order which barred him from travelling abroad was proportionate.

"(The teenager) is a vulnerable young person," he said.

"He has grown up in modern Britain in an extraordinary family - a family where the male members are patently committed to waging jihad in war-torn Syria."

A lawyer representing the council, barrister Martin Downs, said the boy had an uncle who had been held in United States' detention camp in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

He said three of the boy's brothers had gone to fight for the al-Nusra Front - a group with links to al-Qaeda.

Two had died when both in their teens, while the third had been wounded but was still fighting in Syria.

A friend of the teenager had also been killed in fighting.

The judge, who said the four fighters could not be named, added: "The local authority's anxiety here is that (the teenager) may wish to follow the path which his brothers have walked."

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
Difficult one... obviously there is a duty of care as he is only a boy. But then another part of me thinks that if he isn't going to be swayed from radicalism then better he's over there than here...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
"Family members were making plans for the teenager to go on a trip to Dubai during the Easter holiday." So allow them, then restrict the passport. I don't believe duty of care exists in this circumstance, the boy is rational enough to know what is going on out in Syria and Iraq and the internet has provided more than enough of the type of atrocities being committed by all sides.

More so, if he continues to maintain that desire to fight that indicates a very worrying state of mind which may indicate the boy may turn to low-level/tech terrorism in this country like the Rigby murderers. Dangerous game to keep these people in the country when we're doing so much to try and keep many out.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
"Family members were making plans for the teenager to go on a trip to Dubai during the Easter holiday." So allow them, then restrict the passport. I don't believe duty of care exists in this circumstance, the boy is rational enough to know what is going on out in Syria and Iraq and the internet has provided more than enough of the type of atrocities being committed by all sides.

More so, if he continues to maintain that desire to fight that indicates a very worrying state of mind which may indicate the boy may turn to low-level/tech terrorism in this country like the Rigby murderers. Dangerous game to keep these people in the country when we're doing so much to try and keep many out.

I'm pretty certain I know exactly who this is and even though he is 16 has yet to officially pass the school leaving age. Therefore, there is a duty of care.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I'm pretty certain I know exactly who this is and even though he is 16 has yet to officially pass the school leaving age. Therefore, there is a duty of care.

Obviously it is beyond his parents ability to have a 'duty of care'.

matbha

Apr 13, 2014
Difficult one... obviously there is a duty of care as he is only a boy. But then another part of me thinks that if he isn't going to be swayed from radicalism then better he's over there than here...

Let the ****er go ,fed up with this ,when hes gone don't let him back ,simple!!!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Obviously it is beyond his parents ability to have a 'duty of care'.

There are many British families who have children who join our forces and within a year or so are fighting some pointless war in foreign lands. Try stopping them if they want to go.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
For whatever reason, despite the Albion playing in less than 15 minutes, you decide to peddle your Islamophobic nonsense on here by swapping it with the word "marvellous" which is so obviously suggestive. Leave it out [MENTION=4790]cjd[/MENTION].

OP.

"Leave it out".....WTF ?

It is a news story ( 3rd on the BBC site) concerning a family from Brighton.

As for your "Islamophobic nonsense" jibe towards me, I make no secret of the fact that I have no sympathies with Muslim terrorists. I don't regard that as "Islamophobic nonsense".

The majority of this board are well aware of where your sympathies lie.....Mustafa.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
The article uses the word "extraordinary" - which is appropriate.

For whatever reason, despite the Albion playing in less than 15 minutes, you decide to peddle your Islamophobic nonsense on here by swapping it with the word "marvellous" which is so obviously suggestive. Leave it out [MENTION=4790]cjd[/MENTION].

Radicalisation of minority groups in times of extreme conflict is not unknown by any means. It is the result of over a decade of violence against a certain demographic, which has resulted in the marginalisation of those groups all around the world which has in turn exacerbated radicalisation. Whilst it's all so very tragic, your motives are pernicious OP.

Still talking bollox Muzzy

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Let the ****er go ,fed up with this ,when hes gone don't let him back ,simple!!!

Quite. Like you, I really couldn't give a toss whether he goes or not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here