Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sunderland appoint Advocaat

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
That really was quick. They must have been up all night drawing up a shortlist, reviewing the speculative applications, contacting potential candidates or their agents, arranging interviews, holding interviews with the shortlist, making a decision, getting the Board to ratify the decision, negotiating terms, drawing up a contract and getting it signed. If only we could move that fast when a manager left our employment; they'd have a pre-season to work with.

That, or they had done all the above before firing GP, of course. Something that we don't seem to do. There's a very strong ethical argument for not recruiting a replacement before firing/losing the incumbent, but I'm not at all convinced there's a strong football argument for not so doing.

KLF

Albion Boleh!
Oct 27, 2004
Living next door to Gully
It's the polar opposite of what happened with us. I guess the lure of the Premiership money and ensuring they maintain their status is too much to faff around in finding a replacement.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
That really was quick. They must have been up all night drawing up a shortlist, reviewing the speculative applications, contacting potential candidates or their agents, arranging interviews, holding interviews with the shortlist, making a decision, getting the Board to ratify the decision, negotiating terms, drawing up a contract and getting it signed. If only we could move that fast when a manager left our employment; they'd have a pre-season to work with.

That, or they had done all the above before firing GP, of course. Something that we don't seem to do. There's a very strong ethical argument for not recruiting a replacement before firing/losing the incumbent, but I'm not at all convinced there's a strong football argument for not so doing.
Someone must have known about it on Sunday:

Screen Shot 2015-03-17 at 08.44.43.png

16/1 into 6/4 with BetVictor (the only book open then).
Marked the card for the other layers who opened up earhole or shorter yesterday.

Still 4/5 (ATOW) on the machine if you think it's a done deal.
EDIT: Betfair rules are different so that market won't be settled anytime soon.

Last edited:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Football is no longer ethical. Contracts mean nothing to players/managers/agents so it shouldn't come as a surprise to see the clubs acting differently these days. The only difference appears to be that when a club gets rid they have to pay off the contract whereas when players and managers walk out a different set of rules apply.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Football is no longer ethical. Contracts mean nothing to players/managers/agents so it shouldn't come as a surprise to see the clubs acting differently these days. The only difference appears to be that when a club gets rid they have to pay off the contract whereas when players and managers walk out a different set of rules apply.

I agree - except when it comes to BHAFC. I think that TB wishes to behave ethically, and generally (always) does so - to our likely detriment.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm not sure I'd consider scouting out possible replacement managers is unethical.

In any other form of business it would be considered prudent to be prepared should a key employee either leave or under-perform to the detriment of the entire organisation. It's not quite 'succession planning' but it's not far away.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
I'm not sure I'd consider scouting out possible replacement managers is unethical.

In any other form of business it would be considered prudent to be prepared should a key employee either leave or under-perform to the detriment of the entire organisation. It's not quite 'succession planning' but it's not far away.

A business continuity plan.

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
He's only got the job till the end of the season.With luck he'll get our shower of pampered wasters to bother trying in enough of the remaining matches to stay up.
If not it will serve the club right. The sacking of Di Canio eighteen months ago was a disgrace and led inevitably to Saturday's humiliation. Poyet was just the latest mug to make the mistake of taking the manager/head coach job here, though none are mourning his departure.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
And I thought Chris Hughton was too old ....

Country Seagull

Jan 11, 2013

Well as our last two managers resined (Oscar's resignation was supposedly a surprise to everyone) I don't think it's fair to be too critical about how long it took to replace ether of them. Gus' dismissal (from BHA) was different as he was being legally removed due to gross misconduct and bringing in a new manager during the investigation could have been used by his lawyers to claim constructive dismissal and sue.

I suppose Sunderland have been planning to give Gus the boot for a while now, but waited until Advocatt was lined up in order to avoid the situation that Wolves had when poor old Terry Connor had to manage because nobody else wanted to.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
He's only got the job till the end of the season.With luck he'll get our shower of pampered wasters to bother trying in enough of the remaining matches to stay up.
If not it will serve the club right. The sacking of Di Canio eighteen months ago was a disgrace

I know that Di Canio was widely treated as a joke appointment but when he laid into the players and their unprofessional attitude, it looks like he wasn't too wide of the mark. Wonder what would have happened if the club had had the balls to back him. He's still too much of a loose cannon for my taste but he may have been what the club needed

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
I know that Di Canio was widely treated as a joke appointment but when he laid into the players and their unprofessional attitude, it looks like he wasn't too wide of the mark. Wonder what would have happened if the club had had the balls to back him. He's still too much of a loose cannon for my taste but he may have been what the club needed

He was. Ellis Short needed to stand four-square behind the manager he'd appointed but he caved in when the players whined because Di Canio had the temerity to demand they behave like disciplined professional footballers. Instead Di Canio was sacked after a mere dozen matches in charge. The players had their power confirmed and Saturday's disgrace was the inevitable result.
That's why I can't put too much of the blame on Poyet. He's done great harm to his reputation, which had already suffered from the way he departed The AMEX. He has appeared clueless, particularly in the last few weeks. But he's been working with a poisonous group of players, who have seen off a lot more experienced managers than Gus or Paolo.
I feel particularly sorry for Di Canio. As you say his appointment was widely treated as a joke. Pundits and journalists lined up to throw insults and ridicule at him. He hasn't worked in the eighteen months since Sunderland sacked him. But I believe there is a very good manager inside him and when he arrived with his loyal five-man backroom team I believed, and still believe, we had the opportunity to revolutionise our club and change the losing mentality once and for all.
But Short proved to be a man of straw I'm afraid.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here