Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dental Brace information and a bit of a rant

Oldest Potting is excited because we visited the orthodontist today and she was told that she may need a brace (do they ever say, "your teeth are fine, you can go away"?). These seem to be the latest "must have", can't think why as I recall that they were very rare in my day and my view is that they come under the "First World Problem" category! When we visited the orthodontist a year or so back there was a notice that one of the "consultants" was on a 3 month sabbatical in the Alps ski-ing FFS!

I am sitting down so any of you out there with young teenagers who apparently need these things to make their life complete able to advise me of likely cost of a typical brace and multitudinous visits the fiendishly cackling and wiping his backside with fivers orthodontist? I belive you can get these things on the NHS but only in extreme circumstances.

tomfitz12

CTRL+W to change this
Nov 25, 2012
southwick
doesn't have to be extreme in the slightest- im 17 and got my brace off a few months ago. in no way were my teeth terrible and soon corrected themselves.

if not on the nhs then it will cost around £2000 I think??? but chances are, if you have been referred through your dentist then you'll get covered by the nhs. once she does get them, as long as she avoids hard things such as apples, snickers bars etc then she'll be fine. they say not too have high sugar foods but im pretty sure this is just to improve dental hygiene as I know of no one left with marks on their teeth regardless of how poor their diet was.

any more questions feel free to ask

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I think that as dental healthcare has improved from childhood due to flouride etc, the dental profession has had to find ways to make a buck.

As a child I had loads of extractions and fillings. But our boys had no fillings at all!

If your daughter is concerned, then it must be done. If the dentist is casting doubts, then don't bother.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Its free to children under 16, or still in full time education I think.
My daughter had a brace fitted and all the additional visits to adjust, tighten etc were free of charge,
The orthodontist recommended doing it then, because after she was sixteen it would have been chargable, but then he would cos he probably makes a fortune claiming his fees back off the state.
Most of the time I believe they are fitted to correct overbites, so basically it is cosmetic and to pull all the teeth into line.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Both my kids have had them, but only because 1. My daughters teeth were slightly goofy now perfect BTW and 2. My son had what I called it shark teeth, one tooth growing behind the main teeth. All free. Sorry this doesn't help on what it would cost.

Jul 7, 2003
Son is due braces soon which will need some extractions first (same thing I had as a kid). Standard braces are free through the NHS but if you want 'vanity' ones you have to pay. For example, if your child needs the 'train track' style brace, the NHS black and silkver one is free but if you want the 'invisible' ones then they have to come out your own pocket.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
You only get them free if your teeth are deemed bad enough... And the guidelines are getting stricter as it's deemed cosmetic rather than nessecary work.... My son was borderline and they denied him free braces.... So we had to go private as it were.... Get ready to part with 4k if you want them done.....

Ken Newbury

Feb 6, 2006
1/2 mile from LDC country
You only get them free if your teeth are deemed bad enough... And the guidelines are getting stricter as it's deemed cosmetic rather than nessecary work.... My son was borderline and they denied him free braces.... So we had to go private as it were.... Get ready to part with 4k if you want them done.....

Both my sons currently have braces fitted on the NHS, very slight overbite in both cases so probably more cosmetic than necessary, no apparent strictness noted on behalf of the NHS, our dentist referred them both to the NHS and they were seen and treatment started without question.

To the OP, if your child's orthodontist says they need braces then get them to refer your child to the NHS and get them done for free. In Brighton the appointments are up at the Royal Alex kids hospital behind the Sussex County.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
Orthodontics is very heavily regulated on the nhs.
Your off spring has to be u18 and fit into a predetermined minimum category - the iotn scale ( index of orthodontic treatment needs )
Basically your out of line teeth are graded occording to over bite /over jet /sticky out canines etc.
if you are ' bad ' enough - you get it on the nhs. If not it costs. (3 k+)
Hospitals and orthodontists with nhs contracts will stick to this religiously as if caught bending the rules ( there are spot checks from record cards/ models); they get into alot of trouble with local pct.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Going off at a slight tangent but still footie related. My old job was investigating NHS dentists and later my role was checking claims by patients for exemption from NHS charges. Imagine my surprise when a Bristol dentist submitted claims that had Liam and Leroy Rosenior on Income Support! He was taking the payment and then also getting the NHS fee. And that was in conjunction with the odd claim for patients who had died!

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I had a brace in the early 70's to resolve being goofy.

40 years on and it's coming back to bite me [pardon the pun].
My upper right 1 & 2 have become loose [I can't bite into an apple anymore] and the dentist has confirmed this will get progressively worse and they will eventually fall out.
"Did you have a brace when you were younger?"
"Yes"
"Ah, well, research tells us that this weakens the root joint and cartilage into the jaw which often results in early tooth loss".

Sure, maybe brace technology has improved now - but I would encourage you ask the question.
Guess it also depends just how much corrective movement is required too.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here