Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dreadful news about Putin.

He has the support of 60% of the Russian people. The closest opposition is 17%, the Communists, remember them? The opposition politicians the western newspapers are fond of quoting have next to no support, barely single figures.

We can hate Putin, there are plenty of good reasons to, him being a war criminal n all.

But we have to find a better way of dealing with him than pretending he's a Bond villain. We need to listen to the concerns of the 60% of Russian people that support Putin's political bloc. AT THE VERY LEAST the expansion of Nato eastwards has to stop, it's just simply scaring the Russians into supporting Putin all day long.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I have to agree with [MENTION=1483]London Irish[/MENTION] again.

We have spent two decades eating into the Russian sphere of influence, then acting all surprised when a boorish, aggressive leader like Putin decides enough is enough. It's astonishing that the corridors of power in Western countries aren't more understanding of Russian culture.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Can only imagine the sort of chaos Russia would be in with a pussy type president. Russian leaders need to be strong. He is strong with a lot of support in Russia. Theres quite a few even on NSC who hate him with a passion, mostly based on western information.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
He has the support of 60% of the Russian people. The closest opposition is 17%, the Communists, remember them? The opposition politicians the western newspapers are fond of quoting have next to no support, barely single figures.

We can hate Putin, there are plenty of good reasons to, him being a war criminal n all.

But we have to find a better way of dealing with him than pretending he's a Bond villain. We need to listen to the concerns of the 60% of Russian people that support Putin's political bloc. AT THE VERY LEAST the expansion of Nato eastwards has to stop, it's just simply scaring the Russians into supporting Putin all day long.

The thing is every time an opposition leader seems to be gathering support they die in mysterious circumstances or are found to be corrupt by the fair and even handed Russian judicial system.. Putin meanwhile maintians his support by crude nationalism, playing up the Mother Russia victim narrative and bribing ( sorry convincing legitimately) international sporting cartels to take their jamborees to his fiefdoms.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I ve had a bit of a problem with our support for the present Ukrainian government. They achieved power through a coup against a legitimately elected government, and then when the Crimea decided to leave, and return to Russian rule (which the latest Ukrainian polls show a
93% approval rating), the West start imposing sanctions etc against the Russins.
Had it been a pro Russian coup against a western allie, , I think we might have behaved with a lot less restraint than Putin

Last edited:

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

Couldnt agree more, apart from the fact it is EU expansionism that is the problem,

NATO did not forment the distablisation of the Ukraine, it was Ashton et al.

I guess the UK and wider EU electorates need to vote for political parties in the UK (and EU) willing to do that......................

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The thing is every time an opposition leader seems to be gathering support they die in mysterious circumstances or are found to be corrupt by the fair and even handed Russian judicial system.. Putin meanwhile maintians his support by crude nationalism, playing up the Mother Russia victim narrative and bribing ( sorry convincing legitimately) international sporting cartels to take their jamborees to his fiefdoms.

I agree, and have big doubts about the Putin popularity polls.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

I expect the vast majority of Germans supported Hitler too, so I'm not sure it's a particularly important statistic. One of my friends was dating a Russian girl and she said while she was over here that no-one was allowed to say anything against Putin for fear of getting shot. She couldn't get used to the free speech that we have in this country.

You may have spotted her running along Western Rd shouting "Putin is a ****"

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm surprised its only 60% of the population supporting Putin He needs to shoot a few more opposition politicians,if there are any left ? That would get him more support, Russians are not stupid.

Stumpy Tim

Putin's an odd one. Funny thing is, when it comes to big foreign policy decisions he's made plenty of right calls. He was both anti-Iraq war and anti-Syrian invasion - in fact he managed to stop the proposed invasion into Syria. He also proposed talking to Iran instead of bombing them, which Obama came round to.

Strangely he's more aggressive to his European neighbours

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I expect the vast majority of Germans supported Hitler too, so I'm not sure it's a particularly important statistic. One of my friends was dating a Russian girl and she said while she was over here that no-one was allowed to say anything against Putin for fear of getting shot. She couldn't get used to the free speech that we have in this country.

You may have spotted her running along Western Rd shouting "Putin is a ****"
I expect the vast majority of North Koreans support their gaffa until they get the chance to escape.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
putin%20dog.jpg

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I expect the vast majority of North Koreans support their gaffa until they get the chance to escape.

Indeed, to quote a oft misused football term, the North Koreans support their leader 110%, and that's a fact.

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
2 invasions from European neighbours probably lies at the bottom of it

Living in Prague you'll have plenty of neighbours who know all about being invaded and in their lifetimes, unlike the imperialist bully Putin.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
lol@imperial bully ..theatrical.

Yes, the people in CZ have been invaded.. they were invaded by the Germans, and liberated by the Soviet and American forces..and in Prague specifically the Ukrainians
who fought for the Nazis, and changed sides to liberate Prague.

Last edited:

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
I ve had a bit of a problem with our support for the present Ukrainian government. They achieved power through a coup against a legitimately elected government, and then when the Crimea decided to leave, and return to Russian rule (which the latest Ukrainian polls show a
93% approval rating), the West start imposing sanctions etc against the Russins.
Had it been a pro Russian coup against a western allie, , I think we might have behaved with a lot less restraint than Putin

Agreed !

And I guess Putin's popularity rate is surprisingly high to Westerners is that they do not receive the media propaganda that the west gets .

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
He didn't seem well though, did he ?

Could still be on his way out.

The trouble is that it's 50 / 50 whether the next guy is better or worse.

Heaven help us if they end up with the Chechen psychopath Ramzan Kadyrov in charge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here