Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you think TB will allow CH to spend big on players this summer

Will TB let CH spend big money this summer?

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Much is being made of who we need to get shot of, but how confident are you that CH will be given a war chest big enough to replace these players with players who will be an improvement?

I am not at all convinced we will be spending any more than we did this season as we have been told this is the highest paid team we have ever had.

Taking into account the lack of income from outgoing players this year, what makes you think TB is suddenly going to splash the cash on the playing front

I think we'll be marking time and trying to stay in this division until the academy produces.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
But spending was never really the issue was it? It was the fact we left our recruitment team to their own devices without the guidance of a manager who knew what he wanted. CH is a manager who will have had time to asses what we've got and will (hopefully) know exactly what he wants.

Assuming we stay up, I'd say we're in a far better position than we were last year even if we spend the same.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Whilst the correct answer should be it's more complicated than that, I believe Tony will give Hughton the resources he wants. Following the departure of Sami and the restructuring of the backroom staff I think the club, and Tony in particular, realise we cannot have a repeat of last summer. First order of business a striker that actually scores.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
. First order of business a striker that actually scores.

I am pretty certain that will involve spending big unless we get really lucky and given our track record with cheap and loan strikers that is pretty unlikely. Worryingly ( for me) CH seems/seemed to think Leon Best may be the answer, which really doesn't inspire confidence in me, as he looks worse than what we already have on what I've seen of him.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
It is more complicated.

Personally, I think upper/mid-table is all we can expect for a couple of seasons now as we wait for the first crop of academy players to come through the system and either break into the team or be sold on (probably see the former "and" the latter, rather than "or", for most!).

I think there will be some "Ulloa Money" made available, but other than that, FFP prohibits a huge war chest being available (which I think was the case in Jan, it just wasn't a buyer's market!). Tony won't gamble on busting the budget in the hope of making it to the PL - long term financial stability is more important than that.

I can't see any "big name" signings or huge wages bills being added to the existing budget - strictly "one in, one out" and the final budget will be pretty much what we have now - we will just be seeking better value for money.
Kayal is the perfect example of a "bargain" player who has come into the side and demonstrated instantly that he is more than worth what he cost us. I expect 3/4 similarly priced/paid players coming in, but all will be relatively unheard of.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
But spending was never really the issue was it? It was the fact we left our recruitment team to their own devices without the guidance of a manager who knew what he wanted. CH is a manager who will have had time to asses what we've got and will (hopefully) know exactly what he wants.

Assuming we stay up, I'd say we're in a far better position than we were last year even if we spend the same.

This, we spent money in the Summer it was just spent very badly by a faltering recruitment team and a relative rookie manager (who turned out to not be a very good manager).

Staying up and having a Summer fee of drama with spending to match previous seasons (and players like Kemy off our books) should put us in a reasonably good position.

I doubt we will be splashing £10 million on a Championship winning squad but I'm sure we will assemble a solid upper mid table squad, with a chance of the playoffs if things go our way. And that's good enough for me considering this season.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
It is more complicated.

Personally, I think upper/mid-table is all we can expect for a couple of seasons now as we wait for the first crop of academy players to come through the system and either break into the team or be sold on (probably see the former "and" the latter, rather than "or", for most!).

I think there will be some "Ulloa Money" made available, but other than that, FFP prohibits a huge war chest being available (which I think was the case in Jan, it just wasn't a buyer's market!). Tony won't gamble on busting the budget in the hope of making it to the PL - long term financial stability is more important than that.

I can't see any "big name" signings or huge wages bills being added to the existing budget - strictly "one in, one out" and the final budget will be pretty much what we have now - we will just be seeking better value for money.
Kayal is the perfect example of a "bargain" player who has come into the side and demonstrated instantly that he is more than worth what he cost us. I expect 3/4 similarly priced/paid players coming in, but all will be relatively unheard of.
Ulloa. Given his age I would not want to spend over £3m.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
It is more complicated.

Aren't the FFP losses going to be calculated over three years instead of one - so you could spend a bit more in the first year but leave the pot empty for years two and three.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
how confident are you that CH will be given a war chest big enough to replace these players with players who will be an improvement?

Will TB give Hughton a playing budget thats big enough to compete in the Champ ? Yes. In fact TB did this year. As you say. Biggest playing budget in history of club.
Will Hughton and the recruitment team buy players that are an improvement ? Signs are good given recruitement of promising Kayal but who knows and TB has sacked Burke and replaced recruitment team in light of this seasons relative failure so he's obvious aware of issues in previous windows.
Will Hughton be able to turn that squad into a competitive team capable of top 10 / top 6 form ? He's not far off doing that already with existing squad.

Of course all this is dependent on us staying up. Still need 3 wins out of 9....

NB: Wrong to judge Hughton on emergency loans. That market is notoriously difficult given availability and strikers even more so. Sure Best had other offers for example but good sign that Hughton can attract players due to his champ experience/contacts. .

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Aren't the FFP losses going to be calculated over three years instead of one - so you could spend a bit more in the first year but leave the pot empty for years two and three.

We could! But how p*ssed off would we all be if Tony & Chris blew it all in year one, missed and had to have a fire sale in Jan '18 to balance the books.
Professional gamblers do anything but gamble, it's a game of numbers for them and I just can't see Tony putting his money behind a "one-off" shot at the top flight... slow & steady until the academy starts to deliver the turn over of transfer fees and players that makes us as close to self-sufficient as we can get.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It's far more complicated. Fulham spent 'big' by splashing out £10.5 million on McCormack from Leeds, and they are below us in the table.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Whilst the correct answer should be it's more complicated than that, I believe Tony will give Hughton the resources he wants. Following the departure of Sami and the restructuring of the backroom staff I think the club, and Tony in particular, realise we cannot have a repeat of last summer. First order of business a striker that actually scores.
I'm not sure this is true actually. With the exception of Dunk, our defenders are all about 40 years old!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It doesnt need to be big spending on names taking Kayal and Stephens as examples rather than McCormack to Fulham but players that can do the job. Our CBs are all getting old we need to bring on Glen Rea but it will be some time probably about 3 - 5 years, before any player emerges from the academy for the first team. Can we stand still for that time, I hope not at my age.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here