Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cash Only

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Did anyone else think it strange that nearly all tills at the Amex are now cash only with only a handful accepting cards. Also a member of staff told me the sign 'cash only' means cash AND e cash. How stupid is that? I thought the contact less payment was supposed to speed things up. Instead they've changed from taking cards at all tills to taking almost none. Out of 12 tills in the east upper only 2 were accepting cards. Barber can spin things however he wants but Sodexo are cocking it up. Was it the same in other stands?

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Your not the only one to bring this up (http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?319789-Cash-Only) I agree that having cash only is limiting those, myself included, who didn't go to cashpoint before the game. Where I was in the WSU all the kiosks post match were cash only. I had to go to next block of kiosks to use card. Not biggest problem in the world, but I and others could easily have thought cards were not accepted anywhere, left, and spend money elsewhere.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
For the first time in ages I stayed post match to meet two Wolves fans in the away end, do they always sell the food half-price post-match ?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
How many supporters are mind readers. In my world cash is cash is notes and coins. Ecash is a card, which I'm sure many others would assume. I just thought that the move to very few card tills was to ensure that ecash was phased out without any protest by giving the impression that very few still used it.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I heard this too. Also if you have 10pound or less on your card you can not get it back. So I've been told.

I don't think that's true. Why would you not have just spent it now anyway? If the card balance isn't enough to buy something, you can just use the card balance to whatever amount it is, and pay for the rest of your bill with cash or a bank card.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I am in a minority of people who rarely carry cash. For footy I would take my ST knowing that I was sorted. This stopped pre Christmas when my card failed for months to auto top up. Had to use credit card except my usual desk did not take said card. So I now have to remember to locate a £20 note from home before going to game. Pain. And then yesterday I knew I had to use my ST to use up the £6 stuck on it, but the desk did not take e-cash!

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I am in a minority of people who rarely carry cash. For footy I would take my ST knowing that I was sorted. This stopped pre Christmas when my card failed for months to auto top up. Had to use credit card except my usual desk did not take said card. So I now have to remember to locate a £20 note from home before going to game. Pain. And then yesterday I knew I had to use my ST to use up the £6 stuck on it, but the desk did not take e-cash!

Pathetic, I always carry hundreds & have no issues ever

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
E cash is not going to be used after 31st March. If you have more than £10, then it will be refunded to you by cheque.

I've used up the odd ecash that I had last week, by paying the balance by cash (£1.90 on my ecard and the rest cash)

There are plenty of card readers, as the majority are going to be contactless payments which is easier for me, as I had difficulties topping up my ecash account having had to reset the password several times. The cashback discounts had all buy disappeared anyway.
So instead of your st card, just bring your debit card.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I don't think that's true. Why would you not have just spent it now anyway? If the card balance isn't enough to buy something, you can just use the card balance to whatever amount it is, and pay for the rest of your bill with cash or a bank card.

Wasnt there a post a few weeks ago where somebody had trouble doing this as the operator or the till couldnt accept a combination without a supervisors clearance of the transaction.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
E cash is not going to be used after 31st March. If you have more than £10, then it will be refunded to you by cheque.

I've used up the odd ecash that I had last week, by paying the balance by cash (£1.90 on my ecard and the rest cash)

There are plenty of card readers, as the majority are going to be contactless payments which is easier for me, as I had difficulties topping up my ecash account having had to reset the password several times. The cashback discounts had all buy disappeared anyway.
So instead of your st card, just bring your debit card.

Saying that eCash is not going to be used is a bit misleading. You won't be able to top up and 'Auto top-up' will be deactivated, but you'll be able to use eCash for the remainder of the season. As has been pointed out, there isn't another game at home this month.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Saying that eCash is not going to be used is a bit misleading. You won't be able to top up and 'Auto top-up' will be deactivated, but you'll be able to use eCash for the remainder of the season. As has been pointed out, there isn't another game at home this month.

Apologies, but the news has also been out there for a couple of weeks, at least.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

That seems more logical to enable supporters to use any small amount they may have, like my £6.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Wasnt there a post a few weeks ago where somebody had trouble doing this as the operator or the till couldnt accept a combination without a supervisors clearance of the transaction.

I didn't have any trouble at all, and it didn't need a supervisor's clearance or approval.

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing

i was only saying because it might come to the end of this month and people still have money left on the card. i have 3 pound left on mine. But i can add some more money on and then get it back or just buy something and use the remaining 3 pound on the card. it's a shame they are getting rid of the e-cash.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here