Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Midfield 3 - Kayal, Ince & Stephens

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I thought Dale did very well on his full return yeasterday especially as he was playing out of position. Next season, I can see this trio working very well....

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
That's a strong central midfield with adequate back up with Holla & JFC.

Lua Lua wide left is a dangerous weapon but we need someone wide right ivo March's injury problems and of course a striker capable of a minimum of 15 goals.

The age of the defence bar Dunk and Bennett (would be a good signing) concern me so yes plenty of rebuilding but this central 3 should be some of the first names on the team sheet.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
That's a strong central midfield with adequate back up with Holla & JFC.

Lua Lua wide left is a dangerous weapon but we need someone wide right ivo March's injury problems and of course a striker capable of a minimum of 15 goals.

The age of the defence bar Dunk and Bennett (would be a good signing) concern me so yes plenty of rebuilding but this central 3 should be some of the first names on the team sheet.

Yes I agree although I don't know if Holla or JFC are good enough even as baxk up. Id love Crofts back but can't see it happening

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
understand why Chris went with tex in the centre
as he is more creative than these 3
for me Stephens out wide left did not work
would have preferred tex and Lua Lua
out wide with these 3 in the centre
but Chris has been playing more 4411 than433
tried 2 wingers at reading and that went badly
so not too surprising he went back to tex as the pivot of
a 44 1 1 but for me especially at home Lua Lua to start ahead
of Stephens on the left in this set up

Stumpy Tim

Rubbish poem. Doesn't even rhyme

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Agree. Pros and cons but understand why Tex was the middle point.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
On three occasions in the second half yesterday Calde popped up in the box as a centre forward. The ball only reached him once and we scored from the rebound (again). His mobility and positional sense in his new free role is exceptional. It has to be accommodated.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm still ambivalent about Stephens.

I know my 'judgement' is clouded by my preference for Crofts.
Stephens also isn't helped by that position being so crucial to how the team plays.

But as yet I still don't really see him as 'strong' enough.
Being in front of 2 means he has to box to box, tackle, pass quickly and accurately, and weigh in with 10+ goals.

For me he's almost good enough and may well get there, but since he arrived I think he just falls short.
(Obviously the injury didn't help)

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I'm still ambivalent about Stephens.

I know my 'judgement' is clouded by my preference for Crofts.
Stephens also isn't helped by that position being so crucial to how the team plays.

But as yet I still don't really see him as 'strong' enough.
Being in front of 2 means he has to box to box, tackle, pass quickly and accurately, and weigh in with 10+ goals.

For me he's almost good enough and may well get there, but since he arrived I think he just falls short.
(Obviously the injury didn't help)

Disagree about Stephens. I thought he had an excellent game yesterday and is nearly back to his best. IMO he did 3 out of the four things you identify. He hasn't had the chance to score goals this season for obvious reasons. As stated on another thread, a midfield based on Kayal, Ince and Stephens is going to be up there with the best in the Championship next year. As far as Crofts is concerned I would dearly love him to come back next season at his best but I fear the injuries he has suffered may mitigate against this.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Disagree about Stephens. I thought he had an excellent game yesterday and is nearly back to his best. IMO he did 3 out of the four things you identify. He hasn't had the chance to score goals this season for obvious reasons. As stated on another thread, a midfield based on Kayal, Ince and Stephens is going to be up there with the best in the Championship next year. As far as Crofts is concerned I would dearly love him to come back next season at his best but I fear the injuries he has suffered may mitigate against this.
I didn't see excellence from Stephens yesterday, granted he was out of position.
I'm certainly not JFCesque slating him either.

I'm just not seeing any of the decisiveness, at the moment.

He's always stuck me as a player coming from the Dean Hammond school of midfield.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I too thought Stephens had a good game, lots of one touch accurate passing, plenty of chasing back and making thing difficult for the opposition. Quality player who will get better.

I was really concerned when he was chopped down late in the 2nd half and stayed down for a while. That was a fecking disgusting challenge and it was unbelivable that both the ref and the lino in direct line missed it. More worthy of a booking than any other tackle during the game.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Yes I agree although I don't know if Holla or JFC are good enough even as baxk up. Id love Crofts back but can't see it happening

I think Holla will leave in the summer - far too slow for me but does take a decent set piece tbf, JFC simply isn't good enough so I would loan him out for a full season, Crofts I would release

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Big fan of Stephens, has a lot to his game, as does Kayal (and then some). Whether those two will work well with Ince in a trio is difficult to know, for starters it'd likely be at the expense of a more out and out attacking mid/winger as was the case yesterday. Also, finding the right balance in that area is never as simple as merely sticking in the three best midfielders.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
I thought Dale did very well on his full return yeasterday especially as he was playing out of position. Next season, I can see this trio working very well....

100% agree. For me this our best central three. A great mix of power, quality, pace, energy and goals. I can't wait to see these three play together.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Stephens was utterly wasted yesterday. I completely got the logic of playing him wide left to try and replicate what Calderon does on the right (and what Baldock was doing on the left) of using his movement to get into the box and support CMS but it simply didn't work because he doesn't have the pace, mobility or skill to play that role.

For me he has impressed in the sub performances in the last few games where he has been able to come on, win tackles and get into the box with clever movement, which is a trait none of our other orthodox central midfielders do. I'd be starting him but as a box-to-box midfielder. He should never be wide left again as it negated the whole side of that pitch today.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
On three occasions in the second half yesterday Calde popped up in the box as a centre forward. The ball only reached him once and we scored from the rebound (again). His mobility and positional sense in his new free role is exceptional. It has to be accommodated.

Sorry I have to disagree as I feel next season he should be the first name after Walton kn the subs bench to fill in whereever required but I would sooner sign an orthodox wide right sided player. 2 names come to mind not sure if either are possible Elliott Bennett of Norwich and Jed Wallace of Portsmouth.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here