Friday, March 20, 2015 at 9:30 AM
Global Type: Total Solar Eclipse

Brighton: Partial Solar Eclipse

Begins: Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 8:24 AM
Maximum: Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 9:30 AM
Ends: Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 10:40 AM

Duration: 2 hours, 17 minutes

http://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/uk/brighton

It will definitely be something special.

Partial solar eclipse will test resilience of Germany's renewable-heavy power grid
Experts say the country's electricity grid, which relies increasingly on renewable energy, faces a crucial test on the morning of March 20, when the moon will pass in front of the sun and block up to 82 percent of its light across Germany.

This partial eclipse will cause a sudden drop and then a surge in solar-generated power that will have to be balanced out to avoid instability in the grid, Germany's Fraunhofer Institute for Solar Energy Systems said Friday.

Scientists at the Freiburg-based institute ran simulations showing that conventional power plants and hydroelectricity pump-storage facilities should be able to cushion the impact of the eclipse.

They found that the strain on the grid would be greatest on a sunny day — such as March 20, 2014 — when the drop and subsequent rebound would be strongest. Grid operators have likened the effect to 12 large power plants being switched off and 19 being switched on in a short space of time.

If the weather is overcast, the impact should be negligible, the Fraunhofer institute found.
http://www.usnews.com/news/business...r-eclipse-will-test-germanys-green-power-grid

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Looking forward to this. I'll be at my gaff in Cornwall near Penzance where the best views can be had. Should be brilliant from anywhere though. I remember the last solar eclipse, 1999 I think? Loads of us on Shoreham beach, was get otherworldly, especially when all the seagulls got spooked then fell silent.
However I fear there is going to be a lot of cloud cover.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I was in France when it was a total eclipse about fifteen years ago. Went a bit dark and then light again. Nothing special to be honest. Freaked the birds out as they thought it was their bedtime.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here