Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stewart Lee at the Ropetackle

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I love Stewart lee, saw him at the Dome a few weeks ago. It was good but not brilliant. I think he's better in small venues, when you can see the sarcastic smerk and subtle looks. It should be great.

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
"A Bill Hicks tribute act with the funny bits taken out" have to agree, have watched a lot of Stewart Lee recently and don't understand why people find him funny.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
"A Bill Hicks tribute act with the funny bits taken out" have to agree, have watched a lot of Stewart Lee recently and don't understand why people find him funny.

Probably best to stop watching him then :shrug:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

I once tried for several minutes the same thing with Ricky Gervais, I failed miserably.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

I don't know where that quotation is from, but it is a glib and ill informed sound bite.

I've no problem with anyone slagging off what Stewart Lee does, he admits its not for everyone, but it bears little relation to what Bill Hicks did. Hicks was a very clever and funny stand up, but his act was very joke based in the tradition of US stand-ups. A Hicks tribute act would presumably take an outsider stance and make sarcastic jokes about the establishment's persecution of the little guy. You don't even need to imagine it, because Denis Leary has already done it. (And he was very funny doing it).

Lee's influences are far more esoteric and whilst he admits the influence of Ted Chippington, Simon Munnery, the Native American Clown tradition, German stand-up and free form jazz, he is copying no-one.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I don't know where that quotation is from, but it is a glib and ill informed sound bite.

I've no problem with anyone slagging off what Stewart Lee does, he admits its not for everyone, but it bears little relation to what Bill Hicks did. Hicks was a very clever and funny stand up, but his act was very joke based in the tradition of US stand-ups. A Hicks tribute act would presumably take an outsider stance and make sarcastic jokes about the establishment's persecution of the little guy. You don't even need to imagine it, because Denis Leary has already done it. (And he was very funny doing it).

Lee's influences are far more esoteric and whilst he admits the influence of Ted Chippington, Simon Munnery, the Native American Clown tradition, German stand-up and free form jazz, he is copying no-one.

Exactly. He deconstructs his own act like no one else does or possibly could.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I like both Hicks and Lee. However they are not similar in style whatsoever.

I could quite happily sit and watch Stewart Lee talk all day.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
He's funny in small doses. I think a whole evening of him could be quite tedious in places.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here