Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stability has been the key to our upturn, says skipper Greer [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Gordon Greer has hailed a return to stability at Albion under Chris Hughton as a starting point for the club’s recovery.
Hughton is the fourth manager Greer has played under during his time as captain.
Gus Poyet lasted three-and-a-half seasons, Oscar Garcia one and Sami Hyypia half a season.
Greer is looking forward to a strong finish to the season with Hughton and a first summer in three without managerial upheaval in the bid to turn the Seagulls back from relegation candidates into promotion contenders.
Greer told The Argus: “The ambition of the club has never changed. They want to get in the Premier League, it’s built now for the Premier League with a great stadium and fantastic training facility.
“It’s all about the players now to get us going up there. There have been a lot of changes at the club but now we’ve got stability and we can push forward and hopefully we can push next year for where rightfully the club should be.
“Every manager has got his own beliefs in how they want the team to play. To be able to go into the season with the same manager again will be fantastic. It’s continuity that we need.
“You are not learning a new system in the summer. It’s not an excuse, we have not been good enough consistently this season, but it all plays its part. It will be great to have stability now and push forward.”

Albion’s 1-1 draw away to today’s Amex visitors Wolves, missed by centre-half Greer through injury, proved to be Hyypia’s last game in charge. The Finn resigned 48 hours later with the Seagulls in the relegation zone, four points adrift of safety.There has been a lot of soul-searching about Albion’s awful first half of the season, which they have put behind them under caretaker Nathan Jones for two games and now Hughton to be nine points clear of danger.
Where does the blame lie for the shortcomings by the midway point of the campaign, which the Seagulls have been battling ever since to overcome?
Scotland international Greer said: “It’s a tough question to answer. As individuals we are all self-motivated and we are really critical of ourselves as well, so the first port of call is to look at yourself.
“Everybody will do that naturally. Did I do well enough? Could I have done more? The whole club sort of did that but since then the new manager has come in and we’re just looking forward.
“We’ve been really good at home in certain games and we’ve struggled away but it’s about finishing the season as well as we can with a view to next year and hopefully everything goes smoothly over the summer and we keep players and the manager and the club is on a stable footing and we push on next year.”
Greer was awarded a one-year contract extension in early December ahead of his 34th birthday, keeping him at the club for a sixth season. Others, like team-mate Inigo Calderon, await their contract fates with ten games still to go.
Greer said: “I’m delighted I love it here. When the club offered me a new contract I was happy to sign it straight away. It’s a great club and I love playing for them.
“It’s not great coming to the end of the season if you are out of contract. Every player in that situation will be desperate to get on the field so they can prove to the manager they are worth another contract or, if not, to get something else because at the end of the day it’s people’s livelihoods.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here