Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Words to Sussex by the Sea going up on the big screens!!!

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
The club have announced that the words to Sussex by the Sea are going up on the big screens tomorrow on a trial. Firstly, I would like to thank the club for listening to the supporters, and thank the 76.43% who voted in favour of this.

[Tweet]576396769040461824[/Tweet]

I've already seen the inevitable moans and groans about it! :lolol: But it was a majority decision!!!

I'm just hoping now that my small campaign a few weeks ago leads to something great tomorrow. I'm pleading that everyone gets behind it and sings the words to create a fantastic atmosphere for the team!!!

The club want to know people's opinions after the game. I'm sure lots will be quick to complain as it's new, so lets get a load of positive ones in! :wink:

Looking forward to an improved pre-match atmosphere tomorrow, Come on everyone, Altogether now...!

:albion2::albion2::albion2:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Which version btw?

The original version of GOSBTS which we have never sung at matches?
Or one where the lyrics are nearer to one of the many football related versions that we have sung over the decades? - If so, which one?

(how long before a Palace thread on BBS taking the mickey out of us for not knowing the words to our own anthem to such an extent that we need this?)

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
Fingers crossed you don't get too much abuse as it is bound to divide opinion. Personally I'm not bothered either way but if it helps with creating an atmosphere then I guess it's a good thing. I will still be proud to support the Albion regardless of suggestions of being "tinpot".

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Don't understand the views that it might be tinpot. For those unaware of the correct words, it will be considerably better than the out of sync 'der der der der' and clapping.

Good thing imho.

A little more detailed lyrically than 'Hi-Ho Sheffield Wednesday' and not as well known as 'Sweet Caroline'.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Good idea, as most fans seem unable to to actually learn the words themselves. Give it a few game and hopefully the teleprompting will be redundant. Would be nice if people sang the actual song rather than the Der Der der version.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I know all the words, but to get my 12 year old to go on to youtube and learn the words to a first world war regimental march is not going to happen. She will be very grateful for the words on the screen tomorrow. I am sure if the players came out to some tacky pop song that had no relationship to the club, then the words would not be necessary.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Any nimrod pretending to be offended by this needs to take a reality check.

The simple fact is the fans don't know the words and this is the only way they'll learn.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
While it is a BIT tin pot, the fact that most fans don't know the words is FAR MORE tin pot. let's do it.

And the fact that they think it's called GOSBTS

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
If we want people to sing it, this is the only way. There are loads of different versions and there is only one verse and chorus played before a game, so even those that know it wouldn't necessarily be singing the same verse.

If we have to choose I'd want the second verse. Although I would like the F-off to homphobes that would be given by the home fans singing 'Let your hearts be gay' from the first verse, the second ends with 'You can tell them all that we'll stand or fall' which is my favourite bit of the song. Given that everyone is going to sing 'Going up to win the cup' come the chorus, the second verse gives the best of both worlds.

Now can we have the Johnny Cash version of 'Ring of Fire' back?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here