Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John Lewis coming to the old Boots store at Clock Tower.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
John Lewis ends long Brighton search with North Street buy

Property Week has learned the upmarket retailer has bought the Boots site on 129-133 North Street, in the heart of the city, from the BP Pension Fund for around £20m. The purchase, which also includes two further shops, represents an initial yield of around 5%.

John Lewis would not comment on the precise plans it has for the site, but local agents suggested it would build a department store of around 130,000 sq ft, and may seek to add a Waitrose supermarket to the scheme.

The city has been at the top of the John Lewis’ wish list, but the requirement has been difficult to satisfy due to the availability of suitable property and the topography of the city centre.

Boots has six years to run on its lease, and it will not be until the 2021 that John Lewis can redevelop the site and adjacent land.

The purchase is seen as strategic manoeuvre for John Lewis to gain representation in Brighton, with the future development to play a major part in the regeneration of North Street.

Public-realm works are under way in the area to widen the pavement, reduce the number of buses and introduce street furniture, planters and trees as part of West Register’s development of the area fronting North Street and The Lanes.

“North Street currently trades at less than 50% of traditional prime rents in Brighton,” said Rupert Guy of Kitchen La Frenais Morgan, who is about to launch the sale of the adjoining unit on behalf of IGNIS/SLI. The units are let to Sainsbury, Poundland and Sportsdirect, and will go on sale for around £12.5m, reflecting an initial yield of 5%

A John Lewis spokeswoman confirmed the company now owned the North Street property. “This will not impact the current tenants,” she said. “We do have an ambition to eventually have a presence in Brighton, but plans for this are a considerable way off.”

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Good to see the Argus is right up on this major local story...................not!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Good news. Need a Selfridges as well.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I can't see the point of putting a Waitrose in there, very little parking for shoppers so they can only buy what they can carry away. I expect they will sit on this and ramp the rents up.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
That's good new for Brighton. I have John Lewis when I lived In High Wycombe and now in Reading. Very good stores, seem to only stock quality items and if they do stock the same other shops they price match.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I can't see the point of putting a Waitrose in there, very little parking for shoppers so they can only buy what they can carry away. I expect they will sit on this and ramp the rents up.

Isn't this the case anyway? And bigger items get home delivery.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That's good new for Brighton. I have John Lewis when I lived In High Wycombe and now in Reading. Very good stores, seem to only stock quality items and if they do stock the same other shops they price match.

Totally this.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
with click & collect to waitrose, we dont really need a john lewis store - but i would welcome it. but waiting until 2021 seems a long wait

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Isn't this the case anyway? And bigger items get home delivery.

When it comes to groceries you can only carry a couple of full bags any distance, when you look at people shopping these days and you see trolleys loaded with10 litres of milk, 5 loaves of bread... etc etc.... great if you wheel your trolley to the car but not so good staggering to the bus. Besides, they would not put a distribution centre in the centre of town for online sales, that would be in an out of town area with cheaper rents and better road access than North Street.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It says a lot about NSC that this thread has reached two pages in under 30 minutes. Seriously this news is just as exciting as any signing the Albion could have made. I'll be counting the days until 2021 now.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Add the new Brewdog and an Alexander McQueen store and Brighton will be complete.

I don't think Brighton needs a Brewdog anyway, plenty of good pubs already plus a growing number of top quality Micropubs, especially here in Worthing.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
It says a lot about NSC that this thread has reached two pages in under 30 minutes. Seriously this news is just as exciting as any signing the Albion could have made. I'll be counting the days until 2021 now.

When do you think it will be a John Lewis though, 2023?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
with click & collect to waitrose, we dont really need a john lewis store - but i would welcome it. but waiting until 2021 seems a long wait
John Lewis clearly haven't looked into how the local council are desicrating our city centre and by the time they replace the Boots store, there won't be any shoppers left alive under the piles of rubbish that will accumulate by then, even if they could get into town. John Lewis have a great click and collect system - I am surprised not more people use it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here