Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

6 string vs 12 string.

6 string guitar or 12 string guitar?

• 6 string

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • 12 string

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Fence and/or "FFS! carteater this isn't a music forum you little priiiiiick!!!

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Depends what you want it for, you can get a fuller sound with a 12 string but if you want to pick and pluck you are better off with a 6 string. If you are recording then you can flesh out the sound of your 6 string by double tracking etc after you have recorded.

I would love a 12 string but only as an extra. If it is your first guitar i would go 6, if it is an extra and you have a nice 6 string already a 12 sting would be niiicee.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
Depends what you want it for, you can get a fuller sound with a 12 string but if you want to pick and pluck you are better off with a 6 string. If you are recording then you can flesh out the sound of your 6 string by double tracking etc after you have recorded.

I would love a 12 string but only as an extra. If it is your first guitar i would go 6, if it is an extra and you have a nice 6 string already a 12 sting would be niiicee.

it is an extra, as I have a nice 6 string already, I'm torn between getting a better 6 string or going for a 12 string.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
As Badfish says it depends what you want out of it. I've never played a 12 string properly but I hear they can be a bit of a nightmare to keep in tune. I'd go for a new 6 string personally but again, it depends what style you play and what sound you're looking for. Have you got any models in mind?

Bucky

Nov 29, 2014
Give Pantera's 'Suicide Note,Part1' a listen with Dimebag playing a 12 string also Alice In Chains 'I Stay Away' with Gerry Cantrell on one. I don't have a 12 but play on 6 and 7 stringers.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
6 string is more versatile, also a bit pokier at the bass end. 12 strings sound lovely, but they are a bit limited. If you're willing to lug more than one guitar around (or you have a roadie!) you might want to use a 12 string for a couple of songs for a bit of variety.

If you can't make up your mind, you can always buy a 12 string, but just keep 6 strings on it - that works perfectly well. I did it for years, until I could afford to buy a 6 string as well.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
As Badfish says it depends what you want out of it. I've never played a 12 string properly but I hear they can be a bit of a nightmare to keep in tune.
Bit of an urban myth, that. Especially now with electronic tuners they're no bother to tune (just a few more strings to deal with!) and once tuned, they are no more likely to go out of tune than a six string guitar of similar quality.

allystrat

Dec 19, 2011
I have a Paul Brett Vintage 12 string guitar that I have hardly ever played as I tend to play electric and six string acoustic. I thought I would get more use out of it but it sits in its case unplayed. Will probably sell it.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I own a 6 string US fender '91 strat, a cheap 6 string acoustic, which i've owned since i was 20, a tanglewood 6 string electro-acoustic & i've just invested in a '71 Kay dreadnought 12 string acoustic. Truth be told, they all sound f'ing awesome when 'I' play them... ahem... the Kay is f'ing awesome, it's a gibson dove copy, pre lawsuit, & it's a thing of pure beauty.

Kosh

SockMonster

Oct 12, 2007
Brighton
Talking of tuning has anyone seen the latest model Gibsons. Most come with automatic tuning built into the guitar. watched a demo the other day. So what do we think? Not for the purest etc?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here