Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pretentious food/ways to present food...

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I had the "burger on a wooden chopping board" experience recently, in the Nelson on Trafalgar Street. I think the chips came in a miniature bucket too (whoever makes them must be RAKING it in from "trendy" pubs).

I also had food served on a SLATE once, I can't remember where it was though.

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
Got served a meal on a slate in London once. It didn't help us to commune in pleasancy.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I wonder about the hygiene when food is served on wood or slate. At least with plates, you know they should have gone through a very hot dishwasher.

I hate when food is served in a tower, ie each ingredient piled on top of the other. It's another way of serving very small portions for the same price as a regular meal.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A smear across the plate which looks as though somebody has run their tongue over your plate, doubt you can get more pretentious than that. Although Heston Blumenthal giving you a set of headphones so that you can eat listening to the sounds he thinks enhance your food also takes some beating, as well as being ****ing unsociable.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
A smear across the plate which looks as though somebody has run their tongue over your plate, doubt you can get more pretentious than that.

Untitled.jpg

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
I'm always intrigued by new ways of serving chips with a meal, the fashion is to be in some kind of side container, like a wire basket or something.

Tudor Lodge in Ferring serves them in a used tin can. Strange, but to be fair it kept them nice and warm.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
And slates can f--k right off, especially with cutlery, it's like nails down a blackboard.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
what is wrong with these places. i can just about accept the wood board, but as we see its the thin end of the wedge opening up a world of tarty bollocks.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
img_8805.jpg

This comes as one of 3 courses at £175 pp at The Square, Mayfair.

I'd literally gobble it up in one bite and feel extremely disappointed afterwards.

I'd probably sit there waiting for them to bring the vegetables round.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
img_8805.jpg

This comes as one of 3 courses at £175 pp at The Square, Mayfair.

I'd literally gobble it up in one bite and feel extremely disappointed afterwards.

Three courses are £90 at The Square.

The tasting menu is 9 courses for £115, or £185 with wine pairings.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Rice? No. That's a confit of albiono rat droppings.

Indeed, and that's not sauce it's "jus" (calling it this entitles you to charge three times as much).

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I'm always intrigued by new ways of serving chips with a meal, the fashion is to be in some kind of side container, like a wire basket or something.

Tudor Lodge in Ferring serves them in a used tin can. Strange, but to be fair it kept them nice and warm.

The only acceptable occasion of serving an item in a separate container is with a full english, serving the baked beans in a ramekin, thus avoiding the tomato sauce/egg yolk mix.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The only acceptable occasion of serving an item in a separate container is with a full english, serving the baked beans in a ramekin, thus avoiding the tomato sauce/egg yolk mix.

Sorry, epic fail, 'ramekin' sounds like something an elf or pixie would eat out of. Has no business being linked with the honest unpretentious baked bean.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Sorry, epic fail, 'ramekin' sounds like something an elf or pixie would eat out of. Has no business being linked with the honest unpretentious baked bean.

You're absolutely right, sorry, so middle class of me. :lolol:

The only acceptable occasion of serving an item in a separate container is with a full english, serving the baked beans in a dish, thus avoiding the tomato sauce/egg yolk mix.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here