Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ipswich Town bans young fans over 'flying balls' fear

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
"Young football fans are being banned from the lower tiers of Ipswich Town's ground after children were hit by "flying balls", the club said.

The Championship club said for "safety reasons" all under fives visiting Portman Road next season would have to sit higher up in the stands.

The move would only affect a "very small number" of people, the club said.

Supporter Richard Moss, who goes to the ground with four children, said being forced to move was "disappointing".

Ipswich said it had become concerned after seeing babies at matches."

A good idea (which might lead to an improved atmosphere some way) or saftey gone mad?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Bit like Charlton two years ago when they left the practice nets up giving half the away crowd a crap view because a ball might hit a disabled supporter

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Can't remember if fans stand at Portman Road? If so, not good for youngsters pushed to the back.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I accept that I'm an old dinosaur, but this can be added to the "I hate football" thread as another reason why me and the modern game are just about finished. I WAS hit in the face by a ball as a child (it was admittedly watching the amateurs at Lancing rather than the pro's but it still hurt!) and in those days (1960s) everybody just laughed - although the bloke who did it did come over to see if I was alright. And do you know what? Surprise, surprise, apart from a bit of stinging, I was.

What are the ramifications if this 'safety' measure is adopted by other clubs and organisations? Ban kids from grounds where they can't be housed out of harm's way?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Compensation!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There was an old bloke in a flat cap in the North Stand earlier this season who appeared to be near-CONCUSSED when an inflatable football happened to bounce off his bonce. Multi-tasking steward then had to fetch him a (plastic) glass of water while attempting to maintain a straight face! :lol:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Move all pensioners to higher tiers due to slow reactions. But as they may not be able to manage the stairs move them to lower tiers, can't due to stray football's. Ban them. Seriously how many times has anyone watching the Albion actually touched the matchball let alone be hit by it. Utter madness.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
If it isn't safe for the kids, how can it possibly be safe for the players.

What next, Golf, Cricket, Tennis all going to follow suit?

Babies at football, I ask you. How hard can it be to organise a babysitter for 3 hours on a saturday afternoon.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Against Derby, the ball came into the crowd heading straight for someone a few rows infront of me, unfortunately they had weak wrists and could only palm the ball directly towards my face, luckily I have the reactions of a cat and flicked it over my head. the only problem the lady behind caught a face full of ball. Probably not for the first time, she looks a bit dirty.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
"First they came for the Under Fives..."

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
There was an old bloke in a flat cap in the North Stand earlier this season who appeared to be near-CONCUSSED when an inflatable football happened to bounce off his bonce. Multi-tasking steward then had to fetch him a (plastic) glass of water while attempting to maintain a straight face! :lol:

I hope the plastic container didn't have a cap on it.. :ohmy:

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
When my now grown-up lads started to go to football at the age of 4 or so, the only way they could see the game from the terraces was by standing by the wall on the front (or sitting on it if allowed). (Cr@p view for me, but I was only allowed to go if I took them.) Back then, being hit by any ball was just a natural risk, and being hit by, or touching the actual match ball, was an honour!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
One Nsc'er was knocked out by the ball at a pre-season friendly at Whitehawk. He was returning to his seat with drinks and went out cold.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here