Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton says we're not safe yet but...

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I reckon he is giving everyone in the squad a run out to see how they show in a competitive match environment and if they are good enough for next season's promotion push. Excluding Fat Boy Kemi of course. I think the only recent picture of him was at the opening of a new all you can eat joint at the Marina!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
More likely Bloom has told him to look at what we've got before he agrees to pay for replacements. Don't forget that TB thinks we brought in players capable of a top six finish...maybe he still feels the same way as he doesn't make mistakes.

solly

Aug 31, 2005
I agree, CH needs to know his preferred squad and where the gaps are or strengthening needed. I think he is an excellent thinking mans manager and just the man for our current position. Just hope he doesnt start overthinking things. This season is pretty much a write off as long as we dont go down, so it seems sensible to run the fringe plaeyrs out.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
More likely Bloom has told him to look at what we've got before he agrees to pay for replacements. Don't forget that TB thinks we brought in players capable of a top six finish...maybe he still feels the same way as he doesn't make mistakes.

This I think. 'Look Tony, I played some of the questionables at Reading and look what happened. Cheque please !'

I reckon he is giving everyone in the squad a run out to see how they show in a competitive match environment and if they are good enough for next season's promotion push. Excluding Fat Boy Kemi of course. I think the only recent picture of him was at the opening of a new all you can eat joint at the Marina!

Last picture I saw of him was last week having just had an operation.

More to this than meets the eye I think.

el punal

This maybe the case, although I think injuries and loss of form affecting the players is probably the reason. We're not out of the woods yet so it would be a hell of a gamble to start experimenting now with "fringe" players. Surely that time should be with five games remaining and a safe cushion between us and the bottom three.

el punal

Maybe we are playing deliberately shit away and better at home to increase ST sales :moo:

Elaborating your point, the classic football strategy - win your home games and play for a draw away, with a hope of sneaking a win. This seems to be the case of late. At home, entertaining wins against Ipswich, Birmingham, Leeds and Derby. Even the Forest match was eventful, although wrong scoreline!

Away, drab draws to Cardiff and Huddersfield, and avoidable defeats to Blackpool, Bolton and Reading, losing by single goal margins.

It will be interesting to see how we perform at Millwall, after all it will be the proverbial "6 pointer".

Sargey

Jan 27, 2006
Portslade
Last picture I saw of him was last week having just had an operation.

More to this than meets the eye I think.

A good friend of mine bumped into him and asked him about the injury etc a week ago....He said it wasnt great, he seemed really down and implied it may lead to him retiring from professional football and doubted he would be signing another contract again!

Personally I doubt he would of been offered another contract with the lack of appearances he has made since he has been with us!!

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
This maybe the case, although I think injuries and loss of form affecting the players is probably the reason. We're not out of the woods yet so it would be a hell of a gamble to start experimenting now with "fringe" players. Surely that time should be with five games remaining and a safe cushion between us and the bottom three.

This would probably be the safest option, but then how much value can you get out of fringe players when all they play in are the dead rubber games at the end of the season? Maybe Houghton is going to rotate a bit more until the end of the season to give everyone a fair crack of the whip? :shrug:

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton

This, Once we are safe then its time to experiment.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009

I think along a similar line. My feeling is that CH thinks the nine point cushion plus what we get from home games will be enough so use the aways to evaluate the fringe players. Hopefully some reserve (sorry DS) players will get their chance later. WhY spend a fortune if we have DS players ready to step up as cover.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here