Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I hate football

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
But I love the Albion. If I didn't, I'd be out of football for good.

Just watched David Luiz simulate having been head-butted by Costa. This is the same Luiz that professes to love God. Watch FIFA's corrupt hierarchy persist with the Qatar games. I watch people like Platini curry favour here and there to climb up the greasy pole. The FA charges BHA £90k for a financial irregularity, whilst racism gets half that fine. I watched a joker like Leon Best strutt around a pitch thinking he is God's gift to football on Tuesday (and get paid for it) whilst hard working people can't hope to earn annually what he earns in a month.

I really hate football. I have no respect for 99% of footballers (the Calde's out there are in a massive minority), and no respect for our governing bodies.

Depressing.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I have to agree, the whole thing is corrupt but it doesn't stop us going..

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I prefer Rugby and Cricket. But the Albion is an addiction. After a poor 1-0 victory at home I often ask myself while I slavishly watch this sport, but on the bus I find myself looking forward to the next away trip. Who will release me from this slavish addiction ? Well, you have to want to be cured first, but an unfathomable part of me will not allow it.

seagull1981

Blue & White Forever
Aug 8, 2010
I've been thinking the same recently since the Qatar announcement! I defintely love The Albion, just not neccerssarily modern football... As much as that goes against itself.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

Just watched David Luiz simulate having been head-butted by Costa. This is the same Luiz that professes to love God. Watch FIFA's corrupt hierarchy persist with the Qatar games. I watch people like Platini curry favour here and there to climb up the greasy pole. The FA charges BHA £90k for a financial irregularity, whilst racism gets half that fine. I watched a joker like Leon Best strutt around a pitch thinking he is God's gift to football on Tuesday (and get paid for it) whilst hard working people can't hope to earn annually what he earns in a month.

I really hate football. I have no respect for 99% of footballers (the Calde's out there are in a massive minority), and no respect for our governing bodies.

Depressing.

I've given up on football. The only thing that keeps me quasi interested is my attachment to Brighton. It's a mean and ugly sport.

seagull1981

Blue & White Forever
Aug 8, 2010
Going to spend a day at the cricket ground at hove in the sun with nice food, a group of friends and ticket ranging from free to no more than £10 (through my local team) is muc better than 90 minutes with David Luiz on the pitch. Thank god there are Calde's in the world.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Add FIFA corruption, an endless stringe of sexual assault cases and other crimes by arrogant footballers, increasing use of 'time management' by teams leading in running down the clock with slow throw-ins etc, and vast, accelerating pay to these players and their agents.

Yes, football is losing its shine.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
One of football's ultimate snides. Nasty piece of work who just carries on raking it in like his country's 7-1 humiliation v Germany was nothing to do with him.

Apparently v popular with journalists and those who work with him.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Going to spend a day at the cricket ground at hove in the sun with nice food, a group of friends and ticket ranging from free to no more than £10

Couldn't believe it the first time I went to cricket. A tenner to get in for a whole day's play, friendly stewards welcoming you into the ground like you're their new best mate. Bring beers, bring a picnic, eat and drink in full view of the pitch. Nobody in officialdom scowling at you like you were a criminal the whole time you're there. Planet Football it ain't.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I loved football all through the 70s and 80s, I would watch anyone if I couldn't get to an Albion game, the hoolies, the terrible conditions of a lot of grounds, some of the more agricultural styles of football, the police who were just as bad as some of the hoolies,none of it put me off. Then, the F.A.s treatment of our problem, the starting of the Premier League, Sky, and the real cynicism that came with it. The big clubs not giving a toss about the smaller clubs, money becoming more important than the glory and traditions of great competitions,greedy players, agents ,managers and club owners, it has got to the stage where most of the time, I won't even bother watching televised games, and certainly wouldn't spend the thick end of forty quid to watch a team I don't support

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Sorry, not having this. There isn't much wrong with football that a handful of changes couldn't fix. Bin FIFA, enforce respect for the ref and opponents with proper punishments and you'd have the greatest game ever invented on your hands once again.

I like rugby, cricket, baseball and all sorts - I'm not into bashing other sports - but none of them have the power to grip you or expose the passion to the same level football does, and never ever will.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've been here for a very long time, almost as long as it took me to realise I didn't like football.

After my Mum the Albion is the longest relationship in my life, to that end it's beyond football and is a part of me.
My childhood memories with my late father, my adolescence, away games, drinking, camaraderie, and now starting the whole process again with Junior...The Albion is not just life or death...

But non Albion related football leaves me cold.
Watching the Man Utd v Arsenal could and should have been really good entertainment, but I couldn't get past the money grabbing foreign adverts, the cheating, the intimidation by England's captain.
I soon became distracted by bicycle wheels, the only thing that kept we watching was the funny thread on here relating to the game.

All players are aloof, clubs are myopic (money, money, money) the governing bodies are at the very best corrupt to the point of it being a joke.

I can sit and watch 5 hours of cycling where NOTHING happens and be enthralled by it.
For years I have struggled with more than 5 minutes of non Albion related football, including England.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I also think I am out of love with football. I can't relate to the players. This latest ridiculous payment to the Premier League teams is just the icing on the cake. I love going to Brghton and will keep my season ticket but that's because its my local team and I meet a bunch of mates in the Battle of Trafalgar for beers beforehand

Jan 30, 2008

Depressing.
man up and walk away from all the bollocks ,the more people that "put up with it" the longer it goes on , remember the customer is always right
regards
DR

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Just watched David Luiz simulate having been head-butted by Costa. This is the same Luiz that professes to love God. Watch FIFA's corrupt hierarchy persist with the Qatar games. I watch people like Platini curry favour here and there to climb up the greasy pole. The FA charges BHA £90k for a financial irregularity, whilst racism gets half that fine. I watched a joker like Leon Best strutt around a pitch thinking he is God's gift to football on Tuesday (and get paid for it) whilst hard working people can't hope to earn annually what he earns in a WEEK.

Depressing.

Slight amendment, but I agree with the sentiment.

Sorry, not having this. There isn't much wrong with football that a handful of changes couldn't fix. Bin FIFA, enforce respect for the ref and opponents with proper punishments and you'd have the greatest game ever invented on your hands once again.

I like rugby, cricket, baseball and all sorts - I'm not into bashing other sports - but none of them have the power to grip you or expose the passion to the same level football does, and never ever will.

The trouble is, Simster, that I don't think this is ever likely to happen - even in part-form. The big boys have too much power and the people feeding into them – PL clubs, FL clubs, even, national football associations, and even the fans: "I can't give up my Sky subscription" – are never going to make a stand, as they have too much riding on it. I firmly believe that it's gone too far, and cannot be pulled back. I was reading the other day about footballers getting the bus home from a game, and mixing with fans. I know TB has been seen with Albion fans on trains, but can you imagine any of our PLAYERS doing this, let alone the PL shower? They live in a world surrounded by people who are effectively telling them their every move (agents in dressing rooms, etc).

The same with power the refs have. Look how long it's taken to arm them with a can of shaving foam. Can you see a time in the near future where fans can hear their audio (like rugby), or possess the authority to completely have the respect of the players (again, like rugby)? I certainly can't.

Maybe the size of the professional football world is the problem - given it is so large, compared with rugby, cricket, etc, there are probably a lot of hurdles to getting these measures in place. Unnecessary red tape, possibly. ???

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Blimey, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'm a Sky Sports subscriber, but I never watch Premier League games; indeed I wish they'd hive off football onto 'Sky Football' and just keep the sports channel for decent sports. I also realise I haven't even been to the Amex this season, my sole connection with football is watching Soccer Saturday or reading the 'Official match day' thread on here (great when you don't know the result) and feeling pleased if Brighton win. TBH I could put up with the players if the 'matchday experience' was better and cheaper.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here