Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What was Chris Hughton thinking last night

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
I was going to post this when we reached that mythical 'enough' points to stay up but Chris, last night, forced my hand. So, say we have enough points to stay up what does Chris do?

1. Does he carry on playing his best team and get as many points and confidence as possible for the end of the season? ( No, if last night is anything to go by).
2. Does he stop playing any loan players we have no intention/chance of signing? (Looked possible last night, if Ledesma is a possible, until Best came on. I expect we will try for Halford and Bennett.)
3. Does he play some of the second string and see if they are good enough for the first team/back up/ or look to let them go?(Dare I say JFC much as I think he will make it.)
4. Does he start playing a new system even though he has not bought the players yet to work that system? (Are the hopeful long balls up to COG last night a sign, if so he needs someone up there just in case he ever reaches one of those oh so hopeful punts.)

Personally I hope he does 2,3 and 4 but not until we are safe. I don't think it is unfair on promotion or relegation contenders that we start pre-season when we are safe.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
He was dogshite last night and seriously made himself look a tit...bloody clueless to go so defensive against a poor side and we were truly abysmal throughout.I wanted to go after 30 mins and wish I did now...No passion,no creativity,no interest full stop.I really felt for those who travelled to watch that complete utter trip.

You can safely say that hughton is a very negative manager away from home in which is a big worry...He could've changed things,but made some daft substitutions that if anything made us worse.
JFC...complete trip
Greer... facking embarrasing having him as captain
Best...Can't we send this overpaid **** back?

Truly awful game to watch

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I was going to post this when we reached that mythical 'enough' points to stay up but Chris, last night, forced my hand. So, say we have enough points to stay up what does Chris do?

1. Does he carry on playing his best team and get as many points and confidence as possible for the end of the season? ( No, if last night is anything to go by).
2. Does he stop playing any loan players we have no intention/chance of signing? (Looked possible last night, if Ledesma is a possible, until Best came on. I expect we will try for Halford and Bennett.)
3. Does he play some of the second string and see if they are good enough for the first team/back up/ or look to let them go?(Dare I say JFC much as I think he will make it.)
4. Does he start playing a new system even though he has not bought the players yet to work that system? (Are the hopeful long balls up to COG last night a sign, if so he needs someone up there just in case he ever reaches one of those oh so hopeful punts.)

Personally I hope he does 2,3 and 4 but not until we are safe. I don't think it is unfair on promotion or relegation contenders that we start pre-season when we are safe.

I don't think it's unfair on other teams at all. We are entitled to do whatever suits OUR interests, and like you I hope he does, but only IF and WHEN we are actually safe.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Sounds to me like he's playing the percentages. Don't push the boat out away from home, maybe get a draw if lucky but put the best team out for all home games. Although I do recall him saying we needed start winning some away games??!! I dunno!!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We'll play our top team against Millwall for sure.

I suspect this means resting Kayal on Saturday.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The only thing I can think of is that he decided that Bruno, Calde and Tex needed a rest, and wanted to let Ledesma get a game to see what he was like. Hughton could only take a risk like that away from home. Even so, with 11 professional footballers on the pitch you would still expect the team to be functional, no matter who starts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here