Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blurred Lines v Marvin Gaye

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Was Blurred Lines really a copy Marvin Gaye's "Got to Give it Up"

Yes it is similar in parts, but many songs are influenced by other music and this is just based around the base notes of G & D, with a few standard runs. The vocal melody is completely different.

$7m for this could throw the music industry to its knees.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Did anyone else see the interview with one of Marvin Gaye's daughters outside the court?

"Right now, I feel free. Free from... Pharrell Williams and Robin Thicke's chains and what they tried to keep on us and the lies that were told."

Oh do F*** OFF, you just want to get a nice TIDY settlement for your family. She makes it sound like they kidnapped her.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Was Blurred Lines really a copy Marvin Gaye's "Got to Give it Up"

Yes it is similar in parts, but many songs are influenced by other music and this is just based around the base notes of G & D, with a few standard runs. The vocal melody is completely different.

$7m for this could throw the music industry to its knees.

Undoubtedly, It was admitted he listened to it a lot when younger....

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Did anyone else see the interview with one of Marvin Gaye's daughters outside the court?

"Right now, I feel free. Free from... Pharrell Williams and Robin Thicke's chains and what they tried to keep on us and the lies that were told."

Oh do F*** OFF, you just want to get a nice TIDY settlement for your family. She makes it sound like they kidnapped her.

:lolol: I would feel free with $7m in my pocket.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Blurred Lines is clearly heavily influenced by the Marvin Gaye track, however the reaction of Marvin Gays daughter outside the court makes me hope that the appeals process drags on and on and on and she is never free from Pharrell Williams and Robin Thicke.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I bet they're really HARD UP too

Robin Thicke might do though. His follow up album to Blurred lines sold 530 copies in the UK in its first week, 550 in Canada, & 150 odd copies in Australia :lolol:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Robin Thicke might do though. His follow up album to Blurred lines sold 530 copies in the UK in its first week, 550 in Canada, & 150 odd copies in Australia :lolol:

That is ever so slightly amusing :lolol:

(Although less amusing since you edited it)

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
That is ever so slightly amusing :lolol:

(Although less amusing since you edited it)

Different articles. Didn't want to mislead anyone! The 58 came from an Australian paper. Either way, it's the sort of sales you'd expect from some newly formed local band, not an international singer with a massive hit under his belt & various celebrity collaborators.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
It does sound similar but so do hundreds of songs nowadays, it's only because this song was so popular and made so much dough that they are so pissed about it.
59611091.jpg

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned this...

"Speaking outside the court, the lawyer for Marvin Gaye's family revealed that the case had originally been brought against them."

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
What is the story behind this?

Trying to find it, but I think RT & PW took the Gaye family to court over what they said about the similarity.
Didn't turn out how they expected though.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
https://au.news.yahoo.com/entertain...lines-stars-ordered-to-pay-marvin-gaye-heirs/

The federal lawsuit was originally filed two years ago by the "Blurred Lines" stars as a preemptive legal strike to protect the song from claims that it was derived from the decades-old Gaye hit.

The Gaye family filed counterclaims alleging that Thicke's fascination with the soul icon led to the misappropriation of his work in "Blurred Lines" and in the title track of Thicke's 2011 album "Love After War."

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
First thing i thought of when i heard this earlier was this:
[yt]5pidokakU4I[/yt]

Could lead to loads of law suits :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here