Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Of the current squad, who would you be disappointed not to see next season...

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
... in a Brighton shirt?

I only have 3.

Calderon, Teixeira and Walton.

*edit* ... and Kayal.

Last edited:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
... in a Brighton shirt?

I only have 3.

Serious question ....

I tend to agree that Walton seems to be progressing well and with his England status I am hopeful that we have a potentially good keeper, however I just havent seen enough of him to come to any concrete conclusion of where he should be right now.

The club have signed him on a long term deal so they must like him, but beyond that I cannot see how I can form a genuine view of how I might feel about him leaving or staying.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Big Ro, Calde, Dunk, Halford, Joe Bennett, Kaz

Can't wait to see the back of Kemy

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Quite a lot actually, it's not a bad squad, just needs 3 or 4 decent 1st XI signings and a bit of luck with injuries.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I think Ince will be a good player. Stephens maybe, Kayal and Lua Lua.

To be honest I don't feel very connected to any of them

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
... in a Brighton shirt?

I only have 3.

Tex and Calde, and also quite happy to see Stockdale, Dunk, Ince, Kayal and Stephens too - maybe COG and Baldock as well unless we can get a mega-signing striker in (which I don't think is likely). The squad (or more specifically, the team) does need strengthening, but I don't believe a complete change of almost everyone is required - and it ain't going to happen anyway, I don't think; we need to build, with three or four QUALITY signings rather than start all over again.
We've already seen considerable improvements since CH has got things organised (hopefully last night was a blip and he'll have learned from it).

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Agreed there are some "quite happy" candidates... Baldock, Stockdale, Dunk, Ince, Stephens all in that category... but strangely few that would really disappoint me either from a sentimental attachment or a sense of anticipation end excitement at their possible contribution.

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
I wouldn't be that bothered if lost any of our current squad in the summer, I know Dunk, Kayal, Ince are decent players and Walton could be very good in the future but if they wanted to leave let them go, I think Calderon should remain at the club in some capacity.

Maybe Ive just become a bit disllutioned over the last couple of seasons and maybe we have had too many loan players in but there isn't one player I get excited about seeing on the teamsheet anymore, we don't even get the super sub appearances from Lua Lua like last season.

My one hope in the summer is that we try and sort out the squad as soon as possible to give us the best chance of a good start in August, I know good deals will be available at the end of September and I know its not my money to spend but I would rather have 2 or 3 players less than this season and use the money saved to buy some decent players as soon as possible.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I think the squad is starting to show it's worth (last night excepted)

The spine of the team is beginning to establish itself. I agree that it could still be strengthened, but there is never any guarantee that the incoming will be an improvement.
The last couple of years have seen wholesale changes of the squad and I feel we should now start to build on the existing squad rather than chop and change.

For me the key first teamers next year should be:

Stockdale, Dunk, Kayal,Stephens, Ince, O'Grady
Bruno, Kaz, Baldock

It would be good (but possibly unrealistic) to sign up Texeira, Halford and Bennett

Calderon is the heart of the club and I don't believe for one second, that he won't be here next year.

Last edited:

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Definite keeps - Stockdale, Bruno, Ince, Stephens, Kayal, KLL, Baldock, COG, Walton
Keep if we can - Bennett, Texeira
Like to keep - Calderon, Hughes, Holla
Keep but only if they start performing and stop believing the hype - JFC and, I'm afraid to say, Dunk (become too erratic but at least this means he won't be off to a PL side in the summer)
Lots of shopping in other words

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Most of them TBH, but need 3/4 strong additions that are 1st teamers. As above, keeping CH is the critical thing - stability and building the team the way he wants (hope Best was an isolated error on his part)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Agreed there are some "quite happy" candidates... Baldock, Stockdale, Dunk, Ince, Stephens all in that category... but strangely few that would really disappoint me either from a sentimental attachment or a sense of anticipation end excitement at their possible contribution.
OK, perhaps not actually disappointed, but more concerned that once again we'd be getting rid of some of our better players and getting poorer ones in. All the players you mention have been among our better players this season, and have improved under CH. They will probably improve even more if playing in a good side - i.e. one with three or four really good new players to strengthen it. Same as some of the ones we've got rid of in the past have adapted to playing in the PL.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Quite a lot actually, it's not a bad squad, just needs 3 or 4 decent 1st XI signings and a bit of luck with injuries.

I'm with you on this. What we need to do is:
-- extend Ince's contract asap
-- sign up Calde on another year, maybe Casper, possibly even CMS if he'll take a substantial reduction in wages and accept limited game time
-- explore the possibility of extending Tex's loan, or even buying him
-- sign up a left back; I'd be happy with either Bennett or, if Burnley go down, Ward
-- get one or two strikers that we can expect to get 20 goals (or 30 combined)
-- get a rapid wide forward, that can chip in with 5 to 10 goals in a season
-- sign a centre back

I'd much rather we focused on this list, and getting the very best we can (the omens are good with Kayal, and Paul Winstanley spoke sense in that recent programme article).
--

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here