Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

feedback from those who spent their hard earned cash on a trip to Reading last night.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
isn't very flattering is it....??? some of the lads need to get a pair apparently , are we a team of nancy boys after all , and no i'm not :fishing:........give greer a rest , he's way off the boil.......if only we had splashed out on the dutch lad that went to celtic......!!! ince and jfc ...?? is it a matter of inexperience .....perhaps a summer of core strength training would benefit the team rather than the customary jaunt to europe to play freindlies......are we out of the shyte yet...?? with performances like that , obviously not......:shrug::shrug:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I think last night exposed the thinness of the squad. The recent home performances showed that we are capable of putting in a good performance but ultimately we are far more limited than we have been in recent seasons.

Agree re Greer, not on his game at all, Dunk was again very poor. I think both are knackered after a very hard season.

The Baldock injury has hurt us a lot more than we would like to admit, poor old Cog was left high and dry last night.

Hughton's worst day at the office, but at least it should balst any notion of complacency away.

We have a lot of work to do in the summer.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Was it a Stockdale masterclass with the defender's letting him down? Was is it another game where he had a bit of a mare? Was it neither of these because it always seems to be one or the other, depending on your stance re Stockdale, when we lose?

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
* Was just one of those 'cr@p' nights * Could not believe how many (of all age groups) were stood around tweeting all game * Comment of the night was the fan telling his mate he was going to 'smack the fat, full kit w@nker' * For the umpteenth time it created a considerably better atmosphere when the vocal element of the home fans are directly adjacent to the away congregation * Could not believe how empty the opposite end was, including the brass and percussion section * Got home surprisingly quickly, before midnight so not all bad * Roll on Millwall *.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I think last night exposed the thinness of the squad. The recent home performances showed that we are capable of putting in a good performance but ultimately we are far more limited than we have been in recent seasons.

Agree re Greer, not on his game at all, Dunk was again very poor. I think both are knackered after a very hard season.

The Baldock injury has hurt us a lot more than we would like to admit, poor old Cog was left high and dry last night.

Hughton's worst day at the office, but at least it should balst any notion of complacency away.

We have a lot of work to do in the summer.

This.. apart from Greer comments - I thought he held the poor defence together single-handed.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
It couldn't have been more drab in the first half, both sets of players were at walking pace as if it was a pre-season game. I'm convinced it would've been a 0-0 had it not been for Stockdale/Ince's balls-up.

O'Grady didn't win much against their CB's, rendering the long ball game completely pointless considering he was the only one up there until 'Best' came on. Ledesma and Kaz didn't get into the game at all and we missed Teixeira's creativity. JFC was completely anonymous in the middle, though Kayal wasn't much more effective.

Greer and Dunk were both sloppy, Halford didn't work at RB. Not a good showing at all.

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
Quite possibly the worst game of football I have seen!!!

Full Kit Wanker was a laugh though...

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
a very poor performance, which got slightly better in the second half.I think the 4-1-4-1 formation was part of the problem after the success of 4-2-3-1 in recent weeks. With only Ince holding we were left exposed at times. Also both JFC and Kayal were not in the game, and probably Kayal's least effective performance for us to date.

With Ledesma always cutting inside, probably needed either Bruno or Calderon to provide width from full back rather than Halford.

However the problem that we seem to have over and over again, which we have yet corrected is the amount of times that we concede a goal within 5 minutes or so of scoring ourselves. We need to get back to the Poyet era of when scoring first that usually meant that we usually went on to win the game.

Need a far better performance at Millwall next week.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
After the first 25 minutes when we tried to give Reading four goals, before ACTUALLY giving them a ****ing goal, CH should have been warming up a RED HOT poker to stick up the Albion team's collective arse. Then he should have made a couple of substitutions at half-time and got Calde and Bruno on the pitch. Our right side was shocking. Halford and Ledesma looked like strangers because THEY ARE - in a competitive (relegation six-pointer) football match like this. And Please, please CH can you be the manager who finally stops Gordon Greer being the Albion's ****ing play-maker out from the back. He hasn't been up to it for four seasons now. It was OK when he had Bridcutt to give the ball to all the time - but more often than not he tries to 'ping' an inaccurate, slicing, drifting ball into the opposing centre half or full back. It was a bad day at the office but I'm unusually pissed off about it.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The team which started haven't played as a team before and it looked like they were the 11 kids in the playground that nobody picked so had to play together. For the first couple of minutes it wasn't actually that bad we had a lot of space and a better bounce would have seen Kaz score from a long throw. But that was really the highlight of the game other than a very good penalty from OGrady.

I was astounded Hughton didn't bring on a sub until 75 minutes, people moaned about the lack of passion Sami showed, all Hughton did was stand in the box, surely he saw it wasn't working after 10 minutes and try and change things.

Ince was crap except for a couple of time when we won the ball back, but had he not given it away in the first place he wouldn't have had too. Our team passing stats for the game must show we made more passes to those in blue and white than black and red.

Reading were a very poor team and their time wasting at the end was embarrassing, the worst I think I have ever seen on a football pitch and the ref ignored 95% of it, 6 minutes injury time was given and the ball was in play for a maximum of 90 seconds. Even when the ref gave a yellow card for delaying a free kick he ignored the player who stood juggling the ball for a further 15 seconds.

Complete and utter waste of time and energy for every supporter who went.

The only thing I have come away being thankful for is I am not a Reading fan. Everything about the Majeski experience is wrong. The only good thing about the ground is you can be back on the motorway within 5 minutes of leaving the ground.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
...The only thing I have come away being thankful for is I am not a Reading fan. Everything about the Majeski experience is wrong. The only good thing about the ground is you can be back on the motorway within 5 minutes of leaving the ground.

and the stands behind the goal are a decent size, with a nice steep rake so the view is OK'ish. Pity the opposite end was empty but it did help just a little having the few vocal fans that they do have next to us - it was something to do when the football was awful... which was most of the time.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
I am actually incensed about what happened last night.

Several players are in the form of their lives, and Hughton “rests” them. It was bad enough that Calderon and Teixeira did not start the game, but Hughton did not even send them on when we needed to save the game. We had two right-backs on the bench and a centre-back at right-back. When we are chasing the game, Hughton sends on one of the right-backs…to play in midfield. Stephens is one of our few “game-changers”, but is left out of the match-day squad entirely.

None of that makes any kind of sense to me…but then I’m just a simple fan who knows nothing about the game.

Steve Clarke now owes Chris Hughton a favour.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
What struck me most about last night was the body language of just about every player from the first whistle for the whole first half. Ledesma and Lua Lua could barely break into a trot, Halford didn't seem interested, Dunk and Greer's shoulders were down and JFC and Kayal were anonymous. O'Grady, Bennett, Ince and Stockdale were fairly poor but at least looked up for it. It was evident just before the game when Stockdale went round every player revving them up - Halford and Ledesma especially looked like they'd rather be anywhere than out on the pitch.
Second half was better - Kayal and Ledesma especially perked up and Stockdale made a great couple of saves and we gave it a little bit of a go even if we were mostly awful. I can live with being rubbish but I'm not amused when I travel for a game and the players don't seem to be bothered. That said, we've had a good few weeks so hopefully this is just a blip.
And, agree with all that's been said about Reading - tinpot - from goal music, to the band, to the full kit wanker, to the ridiculous "handball" chants (hint - the sarcastic nature of that chant is supposed to be done when the opposition repeatedly shout for handball, not just after one appeal.)

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I am actually incensed about what happened last night.

Several players are in the form of their lives, and Hughton “rests” them. It was bad enough that Calderon and Teixeira did not start the game, but Hughton did not even send them on when we needed to save the game. We had two right-backs on the bench and a centre-back at right-back. When we are chasing the game, Hughton sends on one of the right-backs…to play in midfield. Stephens is one of our few “game-changers”, but is left out of the match-day squad entirely.

None of that makes any kind of sense to me…but then I’m just a simple fan who knows nothing about the game.

Steve Clarke now owes Chris Hughton a favour.

It was an odd selection and I can understand rotation and Hughton wanting a look at the whole squad but the team he sent out should have done much much better with a bit of effort. Stephens was injured according to CH though.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
It couldn't have been more drab in the first half, both sets of players were at walking pace as if it was a pre-season game. I'm convinced it would've been a 0-0 had it not been for Stockdale/Ince's balls-up.

O'Grady didn't win much against their CB's, rendering the long ball game completely pointless considering he was the only one up there until 'Best' came on. Ledesma and Kaz didn't get into the game at all and we missed Teixeira's creativity. JFC was completely anonymous in the middle, though Kayal wasn't much more effective.

Greer and Dunk were both sloppy, Halford didn't work at RB. Not a good showing at all.

More or less this

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
and the stands behind the goal are a decent size, with a nice steep rake so the view is OK'ish. Pity the opposite end was empty but it did help just a little having the few vocal fans that they do have next to us - it was something to do when the football was awful... which was most of the time.

The corners need to be better as well and sweep round rather than being angular.

One of the funniest things I thought was the fact that the Reading fans clearly didn't understand the handball joke.

Oh and hearing a conversation between Reading fans about how fantastic it is for a little club like Reading to be going to Wembley :facepalm:

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here