Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FAO anyone who supports the 20mph limits..

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Sure. I wasn't in favour until I did a Speed Awareness Course

I did one of them courses in Ealing, very informative indeed.
Did you get a couple of attendees who could not speak a word of the old local lingo?
Some of the course time was taken up in trying to get across to them the purpose of the attendance. :)

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I'm quite happy with 20mph speed limits, and would be happy to cooperate - as long as you're not in too much of a hurry.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
They make sense in certain areas, ie outside schools. But there seems to have been little thought or strategy in implementing them.

Trafalgar Road in Portslade is 20mph. Yet Vale Road, which runs directly off Trafalgar Road, has a school in it. And that's still 30. Gardner Road as well, runs off a 20mph road, has a primary school along it, yet is still 30. Go figure.

I pretty much ignore the 20mph limit, but naturally slow down to around that when passing schools, particularly in the mornings or at turfing out time. Anyone with half a brain can drive to the conditions of the road, you don't have to drive to the maximum limit all the time. Just use some common sense.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
20mph gives everyone a fair chance, whether it is pedestrians crossing the road or other cars pulling out from junctions. There was never any real point in racing to every red light anyway because 20mph doesn’t add to the journey time, it just makes driving more chilled.

Last year I had a young lad of about 7-8 suddenly run out in front of me in Blatchington Road, to get to his brother on the other side, and doing just the 20mph only resulted in the child bursting into tears when I screeched to a halt. I have replayed that scene in my head since then but with me doing 30mph, and it could have been quite messy.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
20mph gives everyone a fair chance, whether it is pedestrians crossing the road or other cars pulling out from junctions. There was never any real point in racing to every red light anyway because 20mph doesn’t add to the journey time, it just makes driving more chilled.

Agree 100%.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003

Last year I had a young lad of about 7-8 suddenly run out in front of me in Blatchington Road, to get to his brother on the other side, and doing just the 20mph only resulted in the child bursting into tears when I screeched to a halt. I have replayed that scene in my head since then but with me doing 30mph, and it could have been quite messy.

If you were doing 10mph you wouldn't have had to "screech to a halt", and if the man with the red flag had been walking in front of you he would have seen him first.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I live in a street & area of 20mph zones. I'm very happy with them. Theres a lot of kids in the area & If it slows the traffic down & makes it safer for them, then I'm all for it.

If people dont slow down & run someone over, I'm glad it means that if at 35mph before they'd have probably got away with it. Whereas now they'll get busted (I hope).

Most of the people I see speeding are commuters passing through taking short cuts & not locals.

For me its like parking permits. Most of those in the zones support it. Its only those outside the zones who feel hard done by - & they don't even live there

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have

Stumpy Tim

I did one of them courses in Ealing, very informative indeed.
Did you get a couple of attendees who could not speak a word of the old local lingo?
Some of the course time was taken up in trying to get across to them the purpose of the attendance. :)

Did mine at Withdean,and it was all very middle class. Quite a few people were there to try to claim they did nothing wrong, but when they explain why things are done it makes perfect sense

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Nope. As an air quality consultant I know that it's killing people needlessly. But the authorities won't tell you that. Nor will the speed awareness courses.

Stumpy Tim

Nope. As an air quality consultant I know that it's killing people needlessly. But the authorities won't tell you that. Nor will the speed awareness courses.

Tell us more.

The thing for me is watching people accelerate up to 30-40 MPH in Brighton, and then stopping at traffic lights for a little longer... the average speed across Brighton is below 20MPH for sure

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here