Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst Brighton Manager of all time.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Speaking to a client at work today around the disaster that was Sami and I offered the opinion that Sami Hyypia would be a contender of worst Brighton manager of all time.

I'm not sure if many of you would agree, however with the facilities, money spent on the team and where we finished the season before Sami has to at least be a contender.

Obviously you also have, Wood, Case, Hinshlewood giving him a run for his money (In my Lifetime).

But after a few months reflection, would it be fair to say Sami tops that list?

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Taken into account the resources available and despite FFP and useless recruitment, I would have to say Sami is the worst I've seen.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Martin Hinshelwood lost 10 games in a row.

Hyypia's problem was that we drew too many. That's why of all the teams near the bottom of the Championship, we have a 'good' goal difference.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Hyypia had signs of hope, just never worked out, confidence dropped and never really recovered. Hinslewood's run was so poor, albiet with not a lot to work with. tie for me (dont really know the details of Wood or Case tenures).

oh, wait, what about Mickey Adams part II. so bad we erase it from memory? he broke things that had been working, brought in some woeful players and wasted others (Virgo...)

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast

Hyypia's problem was that we drew too many. That's why of all the teams near the bottom of the Championship, we have a 'good' goal difference.

Indeed. It would be ironic in the extreme if Albion actually still found themselves in the bottom three at the end but with a "plus" goal difference. I bet that has never happened though in the League's history. It would need Albion to win a couple of games 5-0 or so and lose the rest by a single-goal margin.

Having said that wasn't there a season where Albion nearly got in the play-off places with a negative GD? Sometime in the 1990's?

Aug 23, 2011
I feel he was an unlucky manager. There were a number of games where we created a lot of good chances to score and didn't either due to poor finishing or keepers playing a blinder. The trouble is we only drew those and then started to concede and lose a few games so confidence dropped and it became a vicious cycle.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Hinshelwood just shades it as the worst, over Sami for me - who slightly redeemed himself by falling on his sword.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Case and Hinshelwood had relegation quality players. Hyypia had the players to be a mid table team as Hughton is proving, but was totally and utterly clueless. He was also the dullest most uninspiring manager from this fan's viewpoint. Definitely gets my nomination for the worst manager in my time watching the Albion.

There is some bollocks in today's Argus about us being the 2nd most unfortunate team in Europe during Hyypia's tenure which is why the club wanted to stick with him.

Edit - Beorhthelm has just jogged my memory. I do believe Adams Mk2 might just pip Hyypia. I fell out of love with football completely under him second time around. "Players need a hug" indeed :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
With Hinsh he was hampered by Zamora's early season injury and lack of replacement, and of the 10 games he lost 6 were by the odd goal and the rest by two goals. I don't know the extent to which the weak squad was down to him, but overnight Coppell brought in Rodger, Ingimarsson, Blackwell and there were useful cameos from Rougier Sidwell, plus the Kitson comedy sideshow.

As for Sami, he had all the things Hinsh didn't have - the crowd, the players, the training facilities and we were still in the relegation places. So, yes, Sami IS the worst.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Hard to make a call on this as none of us were around the squad on a day to day basis, attended the briefings, listened to the team talks etc. So we can only go on team performances and media appearances, plus whatever gossip we choose to believe.

My impression was that Hyypia was a long, long way out of his depth and lost confidence as the months wore on. The players looked confused and our performances and results got worse. Other managers have presided over poor periods in our history but few had the resources available to Sami, even though we did lose some important players in the summer.

Long way of saying he may well have been the worst. But I have a strange admiration for the guy, just as I have an irrational desire to see Poyet slip up.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
No doubt in my mind. During my time supporting the club it has to be George Curtis, responsible for consecutive relegations. I can't think of another manager you could put that honour down to.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004

With a MASSIVE injury crisis.
Very unfair to bring Martin into the equation.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
No doubt in my mind. During my time supporting the club it has to be George Curtis, responsible for consecutive relegations. I can't think of another manager you could put that honour down to.

This is what I was looking for, Something outside of my knowledge of the Albion, a double relegation is a fine achievement as you just wouldnt see it happen this day and age.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Tommy Cook? Only in charge for 20 games and lost 12 of them: that's far worse than Sami

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
This is what I was looking for, Something outside of my knowledge of the Albion, a double relegation is a fine achievement as you just wouldnt see it happen this day and age.

To be fair he was not here at the time that the second relegation was finalised, as he was sacked in February. but we had reached the point of no return. We were 4 points ahead of the relegation positions having played 4 to 6 games more than anyone else. We ended the season 4 points from safety and third from bottom, when 4 clubs were relegated.

Last edited:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
There is some bollocks in today's Argus about us being the 2nd most unfortunate team in Europe during Hyypia's tenure which is why the club wanted to stick with him.

Edit - Beorhthelm has just jogged my memory. I do believe Adams Mk2 might just pip Hyypia. I fell out of love with football completely under him second time around. "Players need a hug" indeed :rolleyes:

Adams Mk II by a long shot. We were seriously poor. He stocked the team with terrible journeymen (Hawkins) and disengaged loanees (Savage) and WIlkins' young, promising team was ripped apart. Added to that, Virgo on the wing!! I was so depressed watching us that season.

On the "Players need a hug" nonsense. Adams Mk I would literally never have said that. He had gone soft when he returned and seemed completely broken by the experience.

Hyypia was a poor manager but was let down all ends up by the board, the recruitment team and the squad.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Re Hinsh: ANY manager would have struggled with that Albion team, wracked by injuries and without its ace striker. Even with them, we would have been mid table at best.

Technically, it's about the worst manager, not managerial spell, and for that matter we must discount Adams.

It has to be Hyppia - and I don't really buy into the 'unlucky' tag, despite the impressive goal difference. Success is built on points accrued, not goal difference (well, very rarely) or the number of gallant draws.

We didn't look like a work in progress heading in the right direction. More like a rudderless ship heading for the sandbank...and the murky depths of League 1.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here