Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Concert Ticket Prices

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
This is just getting silly now, £100 to see David Gilmour, now Paul McCartney has added a second date at the O2. Price for a seat on the arena floor £125 + booking fees, etc a further £15, so £140 per ticket.

This follows on from the last Stones tour where the prices were just silly.

But who pays this amount of money for an evening out?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Way back (I think around the early 2000s) Bowie explained this growing phenomena, he'd identified the situation with file sharing and pirating of CDs was going to lead to a downturn in artists earnings from music sales, and that artists were going to have to play ever more elaborate and larger tours so as to earn as much as they may have become used to from successful record sales. I recall him talking about (I think it was Donna Summer) who had ramped up the prices for some shows in Paris and the ticket sales had been a disaster due to poor reviews of previous shows, thus explaining the importance of making the shows something special, rather than just going through the back catalogue and expecting people to lap it up, and pay high prices for the shows.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
McCartney. I paid £120 something plus £25 parking plus £50 meal plus £5 pint & £7 glass of wine at O2 a few winters back. Worth every penny for a 3 hour show with mostly Beatles stuff.
Looked up Michael McIntyre (£38) and John Bishop (£28) at Brighton Centre, both seem reasonable.
BUT why have the back seats sold out first, is this ticket master selling them first on the automatic 'best seat' system? Meaning booking later gets you better seats.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
£140 to hear McCartney crack out Hey Jude for the thousandth time in the last five years?

I'm prepared to face some stick for this, but...here goes....I don't actually think his singing voice is all that. There. Argue with me :)

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
these poor souls have to make their money some how!

Too right. McCartney must be down to his last two hundred million, what with the divorce payments and all :ohmy:

The Legend that IS Lawro

It's 'canard' Del
May 8, 2013
Burgess Hill
£140 to hear McCartney crack out Hey Jude for the thousandth time in the last five years?

I'm prepared to face some stick for this, but...here goes....I don't actually think his singing voice is all that. There. Argue with me :)

Agree, would rather listen to Shaun Keaveny and his rather good impression

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton

Here comes the stick. I'm at that age where a bucket list exists and to see Macca was on the list. No regrets. And the show was very good although will agree his voice is going.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

I was thinking the same thing yesterday, he was the weekend's "featured artist" on Absolute radio so they kept playing Beatles songs along with his solo stuff and a few from Wings (the band the Beatles could have been). Apart from some of the Beatles songs, it all sounded pretty terrible, he should have given up singing years ago and just carried on as a songwriter.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Here comes the stick. I'm at that age where a bucket list exists and to see Macca was on the list. No regrets. And the show was very good although will agree his voice is going.

Totally understand where you're coming from :thumbsup:

Having not been around for Beatlemania etc, my experience is limited to his recent stuff. And the Frog Chorus (which was EXCELLENT).

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I was thinking the same thing yesterday, he was the weekend's "featured artist" on Absolute radio so they kept playing Beatles songs along with his solo stuff and a few from Wings (the band the Beatles could have been). Apart from some of the Beatles songs, it all sounded pretty terrible, he should have given up singing years ago and just carried on as a songwriter.

Is the dial on your radio broken?

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
It would have to be something pretty special for me to pay those sort of prices. Fortunately none of the bands I would go and see don't play anywhere much bigger than the concorde.

It always staggers me how much things have increased.

It always amuses me to see the ads for the Brighton Centre in our old programmes most of which can be seen at Uncle Hineys excellent website http://www.seagullsprogrammes.co.uk/

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This is just getting silly now, £100 to see David Gilmour, now Paul McCartney has added a second date at the O2. Price for a seat on the arena floor £125 + booking fees, etc a further £15, so £140 per ticket.

It's the booking fees I have more of an issue with. I especially find it difficult to understand why I have to pay a euro to print my own ticket.

Apr 12, 2011

I do agree with what you say although it is true that with the trend of people acquiring music for free they have to make their money somehow.

I got a standing Gilmour ticket for £65 though, where were you looking?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'd never pay anywhere near that to see anyone. Even those once broken and now reformed bands. It's just not worth it. The girlfriend's only gig each year is Depeche Mode and that costs about £60 a time. I don't go, thankfully as it's a her and her sister thing. I generally don't spend more than about a tenner, and would pretty much never go above £30 at the max. An all-dayer then possibly £50, but I want to see about 4 bands I like for that much.
Although, I would pay more than £30 for a night seeing the Chuckle Brothers version of Macbeth.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Most I ever paid was £125 a ticket for Led Zep at the O2. Not even sure why now, other than the crack of entering a ballot with 20 million other people with zero expectation of winning. Was pretty gobsmacked to come back from Withdean after a midweek match, a bit pissed, to find a mail in me junkmail telling me I'd been selected 'on a first come first served basis' to purchase two tickets for the most eagerly anticipated gig on the planet. Naturally assumed that it would be some sort of scam, but heigh-ho with drink taken, sent them me credit card details anyway. And - blimey! - turned out to be genuine! :ohmy:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Compare it to football and all of a sudden football appears cheap.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here