Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1988/89 and 1989/90 videos

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I carried on have a poke around in my DVDs, trying to find stuff that isn't already on Seagulls TV and found the DVD I sold containing news reports and highlights from 1988/89 and 1989/90 so onto Youtube they go. Wince as Perry Digweed takes one for the team. Watch David Bobin introduce a feature about Gotsmanov. And much, much more. I'll link as they are ready. First up is 1988/89

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Last but not least, extended highlights of Leeds(h) and Wolves (a) from 1989/90. Don't think the Wolves highlights are anywhere else on the internet. Sadly the end is missing but all 4 of our goals are in the first half anyway.

Enjoy!

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Top work. Nice blunt honesty from Steve Penney!
Haven't seen some of those goals again since being there the first time. Shame Dean Wilkins volley against Wolves in '89 wasn't shown in full as it was a superb goal.

Still desperate to see the goals again from my first ever match against Palace in April 1987 - we won 2-0 (Lloyd's first win) and Danny Wilson and Darren Hughes scored. Not holding my breath...

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Lovely stuff. I missed the game where poor Perry got punted in the plums, but I've heard it said that he sprinted off the pitch at a speed that linesman at Villa Park yesterday would be proud of.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Last but not least, extended highlights of Leeds(h) and Wolves (a) from 1989/90. Don't think the Wolves highlights are anywhere else on the internet. Sadly the end is missing but all 4 of our goals are in the first half anyway.

Enjoy!

Interesting how much John Robinson looks like John Crumplin in the Leeds intro!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
....and Leeds with a shirt sponsor that was an anagram of the word 'Tampon', reflecting that they are a bunch of stuffy twats.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Lovely stuff. I missed the game where poor Perry got punted in the plums, but I've heard it said that he sprinted off the pitch at a speed that linesman at Villa Park yesterday would be proud of.
I was in the South Stand that day and heard him tell the Physio it was 'oozing blood'! :sick::eek:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Great to see, I started '94/95 with the class of Junior McDougald et al, always love looking back at that era. There's some great stuff on YouTube,

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Who is this Robin Codner of whom the television captions speak?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Loving these. This was my heyday when I went to pretty much every game. Shame 88/9 is missing Ipswich away - one of my favourite ever Albion games. The away end and train journey home were insane (we won 3-2 having lost - with the exception of one draw - every away game up to that point).

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Loving these. This was my heyday when I went to pretty much every game. Shame 88/9 is missing Ipswich away - one of my favourite ever Albion games. The away end and train journey home were insane (we won 3-2 having lost - with the exception of one draw - every away game up to that point).
As the search function seems to be working properly now, I found the original thread for this so thanks to Tony Meola's Loan Spell for the videos 9 years ago. Here is the summary of what is on the videos I wrote back then.

OK - I have all the footage ready now so I'll let you know exactly what there is and this will be the last bounce.

I have 27 clips from 1988-89 and 41 clips from 1989-90. Most of these are goals and or highlights from Coast to Coast or BBC. There are 2 features on Sergei Gotsmanov and a feature on an Open Day at the Goldstone with goals from a friendly with Charlton on a new plastic pitch in Worthing.

There are also 2 games with extended highlights. Over 50 minutes of highlights of a 4-2 win at Wolves (Not the best quality, it has to be said) and the same highlights of a 2-2 draw with Leeds I put on the Albion Compilation DVD.

The highlights from the ordinary clips include goals from Gotsmanov (Including the one where he celebrates after rounding the keeper and before scoring), as well as Curbishley, Dublin, Nelson, Bremner, May, Codner, Wilkins and many, many more. Goals against include Booker, Strachan, Ritchie, Jimmy Quinn and the stunner from Neil Adams from 40 yards.

For the more macabre, there are the injuries to both Digweed and Bissett. There is also the infamous 5 penalty game at Palace. And the 4-5 game at Sheff Utd (0-3 to 4-3 to 4-5 for those that don't know)

Lots of memories (Including a couple of Saint & Greavsie moments) and lost of rare footage well worth preserving - including Sergei in his brand new sponsored Lada!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
As the search function seems to be working properly now, I found the original thread for this so thanks to Tony Meola's Loan Spell for the videos 9 years ago. Here is the summary of what is on the videos I wrote back then.

OK - I have all the footage ready now so I'll let you know exactly what there is and this will be the last bounce.

I have 27 clips from 1988-89 and 41 clips from 1989-90. Most of these are goals and or highlights from Coast to Coast or BBC. There are 2 features on Sergei Gotsmanov and a feature on an Open Day at the Goldstone with goals from a friendly with Charlton on a new plastic pitch in Worthing.

There are also 2 games with extended highlights. Over 50 minutes of highlights of a 4-2 win at Wolves (Not the best quality, it has to be said) and the same highlights of a 2-2 draw with Leeds I put on the Albion Compilation DVD.

The highlights from the ordinary clips include goals from Gotsmanov (Including the one where he celebrates after rounding the keeper and before scoring), as well as Curbishley, Dublin, Nelson, Bremner, May, Codner, Wilkins and many, many more. Goals against include Booker, Strachan, Ritchie, Jimmy Quinn and the stunner from Neil Adams from 40 yards.

For the more macabre, there are the injuries to both Digweed and Bissett. There is also the infamous 5 penalty game at Palace. And the 4-5 game at Sheff Utd (0-3 to 4-3 to 4-5 for those that don't know)

Lots of memories (Including a couple of Saint & Greavsie moments) and lost of rare footage well worth preserving - including Sergei in his brand new sponsored Lada!

And thanks for giving them back :thumbsup: [MENTION=12839]Goldstone Rapper[/MENTION] has also benefitted from these as well!!!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

More than a few memories from this one, notably the thrashing of Wolves that's shown in more detail in the other vid - the same night Palace conceded 9 (nine) at Liverpool, and another evening game at Swindon where I may have slept most of the way home in a luggage rack watched by [MENTION=29192]Brighton Lines[/MENTION] and [MENTION=60]Seagulls over Lewes[/MENTION] among others

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Ah, the days when footballers drove round in cars with their names on the side. Only the odd cricketer does that now. I think I remember Garry Nelson saying he had a sponsored Volkswagen in his time here. Or it might have been a Fiat. Imagine the look on a modern day footballer's face- even a mediocre Championship player- if his club said to him they'd offer him a brand new leased Fiat if he signed a new deal?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I'm sorry? HOW many?

1Red Number Nine-256x256.png

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
More than a few memories from this one, notably the thrashing of Wolves that's shown in more detail in the other vid - the same night Palace conceded 9 (nine) at Liverpool, and another evening game at Swindon where I may have slept most of the way home in a luggage rack watched by [MENTION=29192]Brighton Lines[/MENTION] and [MENTION=60]Seagulls over Lewes[/MENTION] among others

I must confess, the luggage rack story is one that I obtained from an eye-witness at the time. I was not at the match itself. These stories grow with benign beauty, especially when the subject was so intoxicated that they have no evidential reasoning to offer in defence..

Naturally, I am familiar with the frustrating sponge of amnesia. Another bottle of Frascati, please love.......

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Love it - Great memories including my first ever game in the 88/89 season the 2-0 win at home to Oldham with Gatting & May scoring just before half time with headers. Shame my second game from that season isn't on there we beat Sunderland 3-0 from memory Penny, Nelson & Chivers with the goals.

I'll watch 89/90 tomorrow for further memories.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here