Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will hipsters save the world?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
"If more of us lived like them [hipsters], the world could be greener, more left-wing and less preoccupied by greed.....and the industries in which they work are driving our economy."

You can't argue with any of that can you?

http://gu.com/p/46aqj

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
I can identify with some of the locals quoted in that article with regard to the Level in Brighton.

Where as once it was a park frequented by a broad cross section of the community, working class parents, Hanover parents, a mix of residents, with a kiosk selling basic items including tea and coffee at 60p and 80p.

The park now has an up market coffee establishment, with prices to match, frequented mainly, by middle class parents with their offspring and cylists, complete with unisex toilets.

Even the park drinkers are deserting the place.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
nope. their work is one of the more resource intensive industries, and most of actual jobs are little more than marketing. its individualism more in sync with thatcherism than anything, just with a youth veneer of left-wing ideals. the industries they work in are globalisised and responsible for transfering jobs overseas, and inflating the property markets of south east and especially London.

i love some of the claims in the article, like making out a round about north of the City has 32000 businesses, when that is on the very edge of ECV1 area, one that homes several company formation/company address businesses.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Here comes The New Thing, same as The Old Thing. It's the dotcom bubble with beards.

I love the Scandinavian porridge bar.

Same as always, posh groovers, one or two roddicks like the hippy capitalists of the 70s will be thrown up but most will fade without a trace.

These right on types are always the most cut throat and dead eyed when it comes to cash, wolves in sheeps clothing. At least you know where you stand with the financial sector, and it's a far more of an equal opportunities employer in truth. Can't imagine the Flat white sector employing normal Essex comprehensively educated kids on multiple 6 figure salaries. Going to be much more of a closed shop.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The dream is over man, I actually saw a Hipster costume in Clinton's fancy dress section.

They're selling hippy wigs in Woolworths.

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
g1324671789126134222.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
nope. their work is one of the more resource intensive industries, and most of actual jobs are little more than marketing. its individualism more in sync with thatcherism than anything, just with a youth veneer of left-wing ideals. the industries they work in are globalisised and responsible for transfering jobs overseas

Er, what? Okay 1) why is all hipster work resource intensive? 2) clearly there is a broad spectrum of jobs hipsters do just like any other social group 3) what jobs are transferred overseas? Have I missed the porridge cafe outsourcing it's work to China?

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
“People are becoming less materially driven and more about experiences." - I have to say this statement resonated with me maybe because it has been harder to buy property for a lot of young people. For myself I gave up the idea of purchasing a flat, apartment or house in my earlier 20's and the idea of spending my money on a experience was much more appealing. Although now ten years on being more financially secure I feel both material possessions and experiences are obtainable.

Fair play to the 'Hipsters' though for making something happen when the economy was on its arse. It was independent enterprise that needed to happen. To have a projected share of 15% of GDP in a few years is pretty impressive.

On a side note: I really enjoy seeing subconscious beard competition/envy that goes on in this sub-culture.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Er, what? Okay 1) why is all hipster work resource intensive? 2) clearly there is a broad spectrum of jobs hipsters do just like any other social group 3) what jobs are transferred overseas? Have I missed the porridge cafe outsourcing it's work to China?

Flying American commercially farmed breakfast cereals half way around the world isn't exactly low impact. Even if they are delicious. Could anything be any more vacuous or unnecessary?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Fair play to the 'Hipsters' though for making something happen when the economy was on its arse. It was independent enterprise that needed to happen. To have a projected share of 15% of GDP in a few years is pretty impressive.

Very good point.

My general overall view is similar. Hipsters seem to do stuff and create stuff, and keep themselves to themselves; what's the issue?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Very good point.

My general overall view is similar. Hipsters seem to do stuff and create stuff, and keep themselves to themselves; what's the issue?

Keeping yourself to yourself until you go public. 20 years ago people were knocking one out over Ben and jerrys and Starbucks. We have a thread on this page about a local right on small business that was eventually sold to the man for eye watering amounts and went on to be a global brand in every shiny resource hungry retail outlet on the planet.

The successful ones will firmly embed themselves into the establishment. Nothing necessarily wrong with that. But presenting this phenomenon (if it really is one at all) as some new age of ethical capitalism is a bit daft.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I love the Scandinavian porridge bar.

Same as always, posh groovers, one or two roddicks like the hippy capitalists of the 70s will be thrown up but most will fade without a trace.

These right on types are always the most cut throat and dead eyed when it comes to cash, wolves in sheeps clothing. At least you know where you stand with the financial sector, and it's a far more of an equal opportunities employer in truth. Can't imagine the Flat white sector employing normal Essex comprehensively educated kids on multiple 6 figure salaries. Going to be much more of a closed shop.

Under every successful hippy and hipster there's a driven reactionary.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Very good point.

Think that IS the issue. UK hipsters appear self-obsessed, over-serious and to see things from the viewpoint only of number one. Certainly don't seem to be on any kind of mission to invite anybody else into their world. Wouldn't happen in Berlin.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Flying American commercially farmed breakfast cereals half way around the world isn't exactly low impact. Even if they are delicious. Could anything be any more vacuous or unnecessary?

True, but the 15% of predicted UK GDP isn't just poncy breakfast cereal cafés. In fact it's just one according to the press.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I don't mind hipsters when they're running their own business or recycle bicycle tires into handbags and belts etc but my good god they are annoying when they are employed in regular service roles. Too cool for school and unwilling to get off their arses and help.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

1. the massive server farms backing the internet business. the apple mac with its long production line of industrialised processes. alot of the large companies are trying to be green to reduce cost, but thats very recent and only a few sites. the idea that hipsters make the world a green place is overlooking the non-green infrastructure they rely on.

2. how does the claims of them increasing gdp by 15% work if they are a broad group? they are predominatly "digital economy" service workers, some designers, some coders, many SEO analyst and marketeers. i see the confusion here by seeing it as a social cult group, but thats not what the article is talking about when refering to the economics. boutique cereal cafes in Shoreditch is not going to revolutionise the economy. which can also be said of...

3. they often are setting up systems and businesses that rely on outsourcing and overseas employment to deliver. Lyst and Asos are using the lower cost of far east manufacture to reduce prices, to increase sales. Cloud solutions transfer technical skills to US/ireland based servers (with suitable based tax avoiding businesss behind the services), while general coding, after design and getting complex stuff working, gets outsourced to India and Philippines. its all good solid capitialism, with our chaps with the beards at the top, directing their service sector businesses on remote control. theres nothing left wing about £3 bowls of porridge, and many of the other traits are about transfering labour and resources "off shore" on a personal level, buying in services instead.

i have nothing against this, i just find it amusing that they or others think they are left wing, thats just a facade. if its jsut about another social/fashion trend, then what i've said doesnt make much sence, but then the economic angle isnt valid either.

Last edited:

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
True, but the 15% of predicted UK GDP isn't just poncy breakfast cereal cafés. In fact it's just one according to the press.

I am quite happy to separate my middle aged disdain/jealousy for/of groovers with better clothes and hairdos than me, from my encouragement of innovation and genuine entrepreneurialism.

Good luck to them, if these people are creating jobs, industry and its a new generation of entrepreneurs, then that's brilliant and should be encouraged, If this isn't really an economic movement merely a reflection on a specific generations economic activities which is in reality niche and very localised, then it's fun to be annoyed by them. It's a win win.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here