Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

help for a sick person.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My neighbour is in her 70s and looks very ill she is waiting to see a consultant but I can see the signs and look my mum showed when shd was diagnosed with cancer. She is only able to eat or drink foods like Complan but she is fed up with the chicken one which is the only savory one they make. Has anybody experienced the same with a friend or relative and could perhaps point me in the direction of a similar product. I have tried to google it with no success.

el_ciddy

Aug 26, 2011
Could just get a healthy soup (low salt/sodium etc) of whatever flavour and add a few things to it, low fat milk powder for extra protein and calcium (or any sort of milk or cream) and mixed frozen veg, or just frozen peas for more minerals and nutrients. Blend it up if necessary. More work of course.

Alternatively just have a look in local health food shop, likely to find something similar.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
She has lost the0will to do much and her husband is blind so cant help much. I tried the local health shops and they suggested a prescription from her doctor but she is very proud and says doctors have their work cut out tending the young and dont need oldies getting in the way.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Thanks for that but they are all sweet she wants savoury or vegetable as she is fed up with Complan chicken and asked me to see if any others are available.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Thanks for that but they are all sweet she wants savoury or vegetable as she is fed up with Complan chicken and asked me to see if any others are available.

If you can, you need to get her to try the sweet ones. Get tough with her if possible - My mother in law is very ill right now and is a bit of a child when it comes to these things, but ill people need to keep their strength up. Good on you for looking out for her, my own mum is in a bit of a state right now (we lost my sister a couple of months back), and there's no family up there so the assistance of neighbours is very much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
The fortisips are not very nice, but they work ok. They made me have them last summer when I had bowel cancer. I was able to eat a few other things, fish mainly, but I had days where all I had was boiled sweets, just to get some sugar. No wonder I lost 2 stone.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
My neighbour is in her 70s and looks very ill she is waiting to see a consultant but I can see the signs and look my mum showed when shd was diagnosed with cancer. She is only able to eat or drink foods like Complan but she is fed up with the chicken one which is the only savory one they make. Has anybody experienced the same with a friend or relative and could perhaps point me in the direction of a similar product. I have tried to google it with no success.
http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/engla...efits_for_people_who_are_sick_or_disabled.htm https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/charitable-grants-for-ill-or-disabled-people

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
My Mum ate mostly white fish, cream potatoes and egg mayonnaise in her last few months. I guess it's easy to chew, swallow and digest. Perhaps your neighbour may try that?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
There are many things I have told her she can get on NHS but she says there are more deserving cases. I spoke to my local chemist and he said there are alternatives to Complan but only available through prescription so I just hope that she contacts her GP ASAP.

I would ge surprised if that is correct about Boots because their phamacist looked at their website and said there were no alternatives.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I asked Boots. I looked it up it is no longer called Build Up it is Meritene Soup and is shown on their website made by Nestle, but the worry is on Amazon all adverts say only a few left. Am going to Boots again in the morning to ask again.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here