Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Remind me again why Brighton let Elphick and Cook go ...

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Praise galore from the commentary team for the B'mth centre backs ... and Cook scores a brilliant goal. But they can't be any good really otherwise we would have tried to hang on to both.

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
I have to say, Steve Cook looked a real prospect when he played against Liverpool in the cup that night at The Amex.
At the time he was a fourth choice centre-back behind Greer, El Abd and Dunk.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I seem to remember Cook playing in the 3-0 game v Southampton and being excellent........

Elphick I could kind of understand after his injury but I think selling Cook was an error which should not have been made.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
At the time they were both behind Dunk in the pecking order but the way AFCB play has brought them on and they are both now nearer to a move to a Premier club than Dunk. It remains to be seen how much he progresses.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
image.jpg

:)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... But they can't be any good really otherwise we would have tried to hang on to both.

dont be a plum. noone ever knocked them, they went to get regular games. remember they both dropped a league at the time they left. if we'd known El-abd would leave i dont think we'd have let Elphick go. if Cook hadnt gone and got more game time, would he be as good? thats the way of football.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Cook was let go with reluctance, he was too far down the pecking order here to get the games he needed to progress.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
This season aside, it's fair to say our defence hasn't really suffered for not having them, has it?

They wanted regular football, and Gus had Greer, El-Abd and Dunk.

Plus there was no telling what might happen to players when they move on; some get better, but others can get a lot worse.

Hindsight and all that...

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Praise galore from the commentary team for the B'mth centre backs ... and Cook scores a brilliant goal. But they can't be any good really otherwise we would have tried to hang on to both.

Stupidity?

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
They both had full seasons at a lower level to develop. With the progress Dunk was making at the time and with El Abd and both Greer ahead of them at the time it was a completely logical decison for everyone to allow them to move on. It happens, look at Paul Pogba. Man utd let him go for about 4 million and he's now being mentioned as a 50 million pound player.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
dont be a plum. noone ever knocked them, they went to get regular games. remember they both dropped a league at the time they left. if we'd known El-abd would leave i dont think we'd have let Elphick go. if Cook hadnt gone and got more game time, would he be as good? thats the way of football.

El Abd went to Bristol over 2 years after Elphick was sold. I hardly think that he'd have been kept on for so long, as 4th choice, even if the management (Poyet at the time) had had such an accurate crystal ball.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Because it was years ago and no-one could have predicted (with any degree of certainty) how they would turn out. It's been long enough that they might not even be the players they are now if they'd been here, Bournemouth have brought them on well, we may not have.

Whilst Cook did look useful whilst he was here he was some way (rightly) from the first team and Elphick was deeply unlucky with injuries, with no indication as to how he'd return. Selling them made sense.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Because it was years ago and no-one could have predicted (with any degree of certainty) how they would turn out. It's been long enough that they might not even be the players they are now if they'd been here, Bournemouth have brought them on well, we may not have.

Whilst Cook did look useful whilst he was here he was some way (rightly) from the first team and Elphick was deeply unlucky with injuries, with no indication as to how he'd return. Selling them made sense.

But shouldn't the management and football experts at the club have seen that both had the potential to be a lot better than ElAbd?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
They were both falsely implicated in an unsavoury, and unfounded allegation at the time. Whether that had anything to do with their leaving, who knows?

Don't think this is true. Elphick wasn't ever implicated apart from about 1 day (in the paper maybe?!) and hadn't Cook already left by then. I don't think the case had anything to do with either going...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Don't think this is true. Elphick wasn't ever implicated apart from about 1 day (in the paper maybe?!) and hadn't Cook already left by then. I don't think the case had anything to do with either going...

Correct.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
I may be wrong but didn't we sell them 2 years ago.I don't remember seeing many posts at the time saying what are we doing.I really felt for elphick at the time because he was a local lad who witnessed our fight for falmer first hand & established himself
In the first team during our last season at withdean only to suffer a serious injury at notts county in a meaningless last game of the season.So he never actually played for the Albion at the Amex.

Here is a crazy thought maybe they have just become better players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here