Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tenant Dilemna

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
We have a dilemna and are not sure what to do.
We have a property (up north) in which we have an existing (single man) tenant. Because it is managed by a letting agent we receive a net amount of £580 per month. The tenant is clean and tidy and wishes to stay until August. Depending on his work contract (he's a doctor) he may wish to stay beyond August.

Someone we know has mentioned that they would like to rent it and would pay £700 pm with no letting agent fees involved. They would want to stay a minimum of 18 months, but possibly longer.

I would feel uncomfortable giving the existing tenant 2 months notice and forcing him to leave 3 months earlier than he wishes.
However, we would be £1440 a year better off.

What do you reckon? Stick or twist?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
We have a property (up north) in which we have an existing (single man) tenant. Because it is managed by a letting agent we receive a net amount of £580 per month. The tenant is clean and tidy and wishes to stay until August. Depending on his work contract (he's a doctor) he may wish to stay beyond August.

Someone we know has mentioned that they would like to rent it and would pay £700 pm with no letting agent fees involved. They would want to stay a minimum of 18 months, but possibly longer.

I would feel uncomfortable giving the existing tenant 2 months notice and forcing him to leave 3 months earlier than he wishes.

If you need the money then there's your answer.

If not, think about how it could impact your current tenant, who is giving you no cause for concern and is unlikely to right up until the point they leave. Is it how you'd want to be treated if you were them?

I'm sure others will say I'm naive or that the money is the important thing but if you already feel uncomfortable thinking about it, doing it is only going to feel worse.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You say it is someone you know, rather than a friend. Can this person rent somewhere else for 6 months, if you promise them your flat after August?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
so you will go running up there if there is a problem ............thats why people use agents , to do the dirty work.
if you have a water leak it could cost you that alone, we live in rented accomodation, land lady lives in Cyprus, so without the agent (who I might say is very good) she would be well and truly snookered.
give it some thought

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

Go with the agent, and stick to something that is legal, rather than with "someone you know". Is this someone reliable -what happens if they decide not to pay -you would have quite a job in removing them. Also, a tenant via an agent would presumably be paying a deposit, which would be payable to you, if they ran off. Stick to what you know works for you. When abroad, we had two flats in Brighton, and went through reputable agents and always had decent furniture for the tenant, writing to them asking if there was anything we could do, as we were determined that they would have what we would take for granted. We never had a problem.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

I have tenants and I wouldn't even consider breaking my agreement with the existing tenant. Presumably when the tenant moved there, the £580.00 a month was sufficient return for you on your property.

Ever heard the saying ..."the grass looks greener on the other side"...?

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
where abouts up north are you talking ?

It's in the north of Scotland, we originally bought it for our son to rent off us, but he's since moved away.
The possible replacement tenants (known to my son) want it as a second home to occasionally be near their children who are boarders at a private school.

Following the above comments I'm leaning towards sticking with our existing tenant although it hurts to miss out on £1440 extra a year, which is the difference between breaking even and making a bit of profit.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I presume you have two properties then? If so then be thankful for that mere fact.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Go with the agent, and stick to something that is legal, rather than with "someone you know". Is this someone reliable -what happens if they decide not to pay -you would have quite a job in removing them. Also, a tenant via an agent would presumably be paying a deposit, which would be payable to you, if they ran off. Stick to what you know works for you. When abroad, we had two flats in Brighton, and went through reputable agents and always had decent furniture for the tenant, writing to them asking if there was anything we could do, as we were determined that they would have what we would take for granted. We never had a problem.

100% this - Friends and family have been mentioned as potential tenants for me, but I do like you, rent properties through a decent agent and try be a decent landlord. It's all at arms length though so there's no emotion or trust involved. I would only let, on a short term basis, to friend or family if they really had some sort of crisis.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010

What sort of contract/agreement have you got with the estate agent? Could you not end that the start saving on costs?

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
As alandlord and parent of three doctors, can see both sides here.

TBH, this is a good example of one reason we do not use agents;we like to talk to our tenants and understand their position and ambitions so we can plan lettings. But as you have an aganet, why not first ask him/her to talk to tenant. If he is pre registar level, he may well have rotations that mean he will be happy to give up the flat, possibly even early - our sons often have periods when they are renting but not occupying.

You dont mention a tenancy agreement. Dont you have a TA in place that terminates at a preset time? If you do, there is nothign you can do legally, but, again, a conversation might elicit whether he wants out.

Communication seems to be the answer...

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

100% agree.

Letting a property to someone you know or friend of a friend is dangerous. having an arm's length tenant and a good agent who you gave good relationships with are far more valuable than a few quid. Doing it yourself only works if you are local and have good relationships with local tradesmen.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Presumably you would be paying more tax on your extra profit also, so wouldnt be £1440 .Friends and business do not mix imo .

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
I've had Problems with tenants before and in my experience, it's better to have a good tenant that you trust looking after the property, my advice would be stick with what you have.
You could always manage the property yourself giving you all the money and cut out the letting agency. That's what I did

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
But the £1440 extra isn't really £1440 is it?

I'm guessing here but could be wrong, if you are able to fund a BTL you're likely a 40% tax payer, so HMRC will take £576 of your extra gain leaving you with £864 after tax.

I've had several BTLs over the years and always managed them myself and [touch wood] never had a defaulter. If your mate says "Sorry, bit skint this month can I miss a month" - the friendship may be jeopardised.

Landlord / Tenant is a commercial arrangement - don't lose sight of that .....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here