Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Some people just shouldn't use social media

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
The judge should tweet him the sentence.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
As time moves on it would seem that devolution is actually a part of evolution.
There seems to be a lot more stupid people around than I used to remember there being, or, is social media a new means for exposing themselves!

Camicus

As time moves on it would seem that devolution is actually a part of evolution.
There seems to be a lot more stupid people around than I used to remember there being, or, is social media a new means for exposing themselves!
There are exactly the same amount of stupid people around . Your exposure to them is just greater

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
There are exactly the same amount of stupid people around . Your exposure to them is just greater

I have to disagree I'm afraid, I'm in my 50's and can confidently say that the amount of common sense instilled in younger generations is decreasing at an alarming rate.
Everything has become so controlled over the years that they seem to be left lacking in the skills for decision making processes.
It looks like the elite percentage in the world is getting cleverer, but smaller in number and the rest are getting stupider and increasing in numbers.
I can see it, in the not distant future, as being the top 0.01 % telling the rest what to do.
Technology makes things easier but also gets rid of the need to learn the basic principles of learning.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
If you are going to make sweeping statements: Have you seen people in their 50s trying to use new technology? It is like an ape gawping at a stick!
Also, the education and common sense instilled into younger generations is the job of the elder generations, so maybe the older generations should look closer to home before shitting on the younger generations.

Most of the people I know, including myself, although mystified at first with the technology quite quickly pick it up.
Us oldun's always try and instill these lessons and values into the youngun's, is it our fault that they just refuse to listen, or just won't act on the pearls of wisdom before them.
The only thing that they seem to understand is, minimum effort for maximum return.
They don't seem to be interested in anything long term, suppose that's what being young is all about.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Unfortunately I think that is just what the current system teaches you. Make the most money with the least effort and screw everyone else.
For what it is worth I hate it. But people are generally a product of their environment and we are all to blame for that.

It usually ends up as minimum effort with minimum return for most, with only the exceptional breaking that rule.
I think all this computerisation and especially the internet have a lot to answer for, when I take the dog for walks I pass loads of empty parks and sports fields.
My kids are constantly glued to them, sometimes more than one at a time!

If you are going to make sweeping statements: Have you seen people in their 50s trying to use new technology? It is like an ape gawping at a stick!
Also, the education and common sense instilled into younger generations is the job of the elder generations, so maybe the older generations should look closer to home before shitting on the younger generations.

:facepalm: ...So how come that this over 50 has to be the "support desk" for every digital device in the house for all the other Pottings - bit of a sweeping statement there I feel.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I have to disagree I'm afraid, I'm in my 50's and can confidently say that the amount of common sense instilled in younger generations is decreasing at an alarming rate.
Everything has become so controlled over the years that they seem to be left lacking in the skills for decision making processes.
It looks like the elite percentage in the world is getting cleverer, but smaller in number and the rest are getting stupider and increasing in numbers.
I can see it, in the not distant future, as being the top 0.01 % telling the rest what to do.
Technology makes things easier but also gets rid of the need to learn the basic principles of learning.

Completely agree, especially your last sentence.

Here's a little theory of mine:

School project 35 years ago:
Go to school or local library
Find encyclopedia or reference book on subject
Copy most of encyclopedia or reference book into your school book

School project since about 10 years ago:
Log on to t'internet
Google subject
Open Word
Copy and paste from google
Save word doc
Email to teacher

Whilst both methods are not dissimilar, at least when we copied stuff from an encyclopedia to an exercise book, the information had to go through our brain, and some of it usually stuck.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton

You have seen the future,the zombie like youngsters slaves to their tablets,smart phones etc will pass on this attitude to their children who will at an early age become even more controlled by Facebook/Twitter,already lives are being ruined by online bullies yet cant exit these areas

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
You have seen the future,the zombie like youngsters slaves to their tablets,smart phones etc will pass on this attitude to their children who will at an early age become even more controlled by Facebook/Twitter,already lives are being ruined by online bullies yet cant exit these areas

I can remember when calculators were banned from exams. In fact, I can remember taking exams when calculators hadn't been invented. This makes me very old!

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
More serious consequences this one, but thankfully putting it up on the net was his downfall.

"Police arrested Moffat on Tuesday, after piecing together evidence from the videos of the rape the man had uploaded to the internet site Mocospace, a mobile game community. Through their investigation, they were also able to identify the victim
Read more at http://universalfreepress.com/father-shows-up-at-daughters-rapists-house-goes-beast-mode/

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I can remember when calculators were banned from exams. In fact, I can remember taking exams when calculators hadn't been invented. This makes me very old!

While the Apollo missions had on board computers (the combined power of which were approximately the same as a current-day chicken nugget), their back up systems were a piece of paper, a pencil and a slide rule. The latter assertion is true. Brave or stupid? Or both?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here