Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Student Questionnaire: Working Class Game: Upper Class Prices

leedsbeckett

Mar 2, 2015
As a Student Leeds Beckett University, i am currently doing a research study into the motivations of football fans to attend live matches and whether the price of ticket influences their decision to attend. I would appreciate it greatly if as many of you as possible click on the link and carry out the questionnaire. The data will be analysed and used in a case study for my dissertation. Thank you.

https://docs.google.com/a/student.l...-BrzeWXEcrm5eeo4v9--ELxfGl6yeHWmhmIk/viewform

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Utterly stupid title so I won't be completing it - really give up on the pathetic idea that your class ( if you really have one ) has some connection to your income. Typical student hyper-bollocks.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Like other posters, I'm not taking part on the basis that the concept is flawed. The idea of classes, in the way that the OP is intending them, do not exist. Society has become a lot more transient than that.

If you were examining solely the debate around what has more bearing on attendance figures - prices or success on the pitch - that would be a more interesting idea.

The odd thing is that none of the questions are designed to draw out any inferences about class. I've not completed the questionnaire on the grounds that questionnaires are useless research tools for anyone who wants to do quality sociological research.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Utterly stupid title so I won't be completing it - really give up on the pathetic idea that your class ( if you really have one ) has some connection to your income. Typical student hyper-bollocks.

This.

Football stopped being a "working class game" sometime shortly after the second world war! The middle (and indeed some upper) classes have been attending for a very long time! The only significant change has been that football itself has, since the influx of TV cash and the demise of widespread hooliganism, become more "professional" (corporate if you want) and it needs to pitch itself so as to appeal to the "average person" to maximise its income.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Give the lad a break, he's not exactly conducting research for Cambridge is he.

Yes, but he is trying to pass a degree. And even if he collects and presents huge amounts of data with really cool graphs, if his hypothesis is fundamentally flawed (which it is!) then his conclusions will be too and he will get a sh*t grade.

Unless this is a *tiny* subsection of his dissertation, this is headed at a third at best.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Unless this is a *tiny* subsection of his dissertation, this is headed at a third at best.

I don't agree. If you put in the work you'll get a 2:2/2:1 regardless of how bad your hypothesis is.

People are being unnecessarily harsh because he's touched the 'class' nerve.

Last edited:

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I don't agree. If you put in the work you'll get a 2:2/2:1 regardless of how bad your hypothesis is.

People are being unnecessarily harsh because he's touched the 'class' nerve.

I think that may have been true a few years ago (it was certainly true when I got mine - just turning up was enough for a 2.2 - which explains why I have a third!). From the graduates I deal with now, it seems that you actually have to be good at the subject matter as well as the presentation to distinguish yourself these days.

As for class... I consider myself "second generation middle".... always have. I personally don't feel at all precious about that. I do think that, while 40 years ago, everyone wanted to be middle class, it seems very trendy be "downwardly mobile" and to label yourself as working class now despite living a very middle class life!

Last edited:

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I think that may have been true a few years ago (it was certainly true when I got mine - just turning up was enough for a 2.2 - which explains why I have a third!). From the graduates I deal with now, it seems that you actually have to be good at the subject matter as well as the presentation to distinguish yourself these days.

Considering that they need to be competitive these days with the increased fees and reduced funding, the last thing they want to do is be doing is dishing out rubbish grades for silly reasons.

I graduated last year and my dissertation was deeply flawed. But it was still enough to get a 2:1.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
One of the questions appears to be asking the bleeding obvious:

Have you ever avoided attending a home match due to the price of a ticket? [Yes/No]

If yes, why? [add comment]

:dunce:

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Considering that they need to be competitive these days with the increased fees and reduced funding, the last thing they want to do is be doing is dishing out rubbish grades for silly reasons.

I graduated last year and my dissertation was deeply flawed. But it was still enough to get a 2:1.

Then you should be ashamed and should hand it back immediately. :wrong:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here