Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Barber - a thoroughly likeable guy actually

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
He gets a lot of stick on here, where people essentially make him out to be the fall guy for everything and anything people dislike about the club, off, or even on, the field these days. Then, every now and again, I read someone offering a contrary view once they have had dealings with him. Today, that has included me, so here goes.

Background. I've been emailing the club fairly regularly, without response, about my plans to NOT renew, and my wishes for a couple of my friends to transfer into our seats. On my 4th attempt today, I cc'd Paul Barber. BANG, I get a response today, not much more than an hour after I send mine. It appears my emails were going into SPAM, but clearly Paul checks that, which is credit to him. Initially, my heckles were slightly up as he admonished me for one of my emails being rather terse, brusque even (my words, not his). But we got past that, and he probably did have a point - I was getting frustrated by the silence.

Not only has everything been progressed regarding my request but we have also been locked into a very enjoyable email conversation throughout the day. As anyone who has noticed my frothy ramblings on here will testify, I can go on a bit when I get typing. A couple of times I did ping across a reply to him and thought "meh, that went on too long, he'll never read all that." Nope, read, clearly digested it, and an equally lengthy response would come back. Not only that, but his lengthy replies were from his phone, so he's obviously staying in touch while dashing between meetings or similar. He's certainly not just sat at his desk tapping out the emails.

I won't divulge the exact email, I won't post them on here, not because they were especially personal, or private in their content, but simply because it's none of your business! LOL. But suffice to say he came across as someone very much like me as far as a football fan is concerned. Similar age, same sort of footballing background and experiences, albeit with a bigger club and therefore bigger occasions. Scratch the surface, and he is a very regular bloke, who has the business understanding to run our football club, and the football fan background to understand the wider picture.

I didn't come into today with a strong view of him either way, but I have to say, I'm now very impressed.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Anyone with half a brain will know that Barber is doing exactly the job he is paid to do and doing it very well. I still think what he earns is a bit excessive but that's another issue.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Anyone with half a brain will know that Barber is doing exactly the job he is paid to do and doing very well. I still think what he earns is a bit excessive bit that's another issue.

It's not just whether he's doing a good job or not, it's only when I had dealings with him today that it showed what a genuinely decent fella he is, with a proper football fan background. Hard to explain why that should be important, but I think it is, and it doesn't always come across.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Paul Barber is being well paid and seems to be doing a good job. He also seems to be a "nice" bloke and his chosen method of replying to e-mails seems like a decent idea to me. My guess is that he works very hard and long hours in order to be able to offer a way above normal level of communication (obviously in addition to doing everything else that he needs to get done).

Most of the "Barber Out" comments on here are tongue in cheek.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
It's not just whether he's doing a good job or not, it's only when I had dealings with him today that it showed what a genuinely decent fella he is, with a proper football fan background. Hard to explain why that should be important, but I think it is, and it doesn't always come across.
He was superb for me a couple of years ago in sorting out the stewards who had banned my son and his friend from kicking a ball about after the game outside the ground... he said that one of the things he liked about The Amex matchday was seeing the number of kids around and some "street football" going on...

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Anyone with half a brain will know that Barber is doing exactly the job he is paid to do and doing it very well. I still think what he earns is a bit excessive but that's another issue.

I actually emailed TB, last year asking questions about where the club was going.
I received a very nice response from PB, explaining in great detail all that was going on, obviously this was during the circus events that was Hyypia.
But it was great to receive a response :)

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

If, during his tenure, we actually turn a corner and actually make a profit (which, I honestly think will happen if the Tony/Paul combination continues).... I think you should retract that last comment. Otherwise, I completely agree. There is occasionally something the club does that I don't agree with but I can see why they have been done and trust the reasoning behind them was sound.

Personally I think PB is the best signing the club has made in recent years. He has done an excellent job ensuring that we never return to the dark days of the club being on the edge of extinction. Which, regardless of who the Director of Football is, who the caterers are, what the playing budget is or whether we have to suffer goal music, should be the single most important thing for every BHA fan. We can ride out the highs and lows of play offs, promotions and relegations so long as we never, ever risk losing the club again.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
Just before Christmas my son (aged 11) decided to send in a letter and his "C.V" in an attempt to apply for the then vacant manager's job. He had been saying all season that if Hyypia went he would apply! It was all his own work (quick bit of proof reading from myself!) and off it went. Not knowing what sought I reply we would get we waited in a bit of trepidation.
Well we received just the most amazing 2 page response from Paul Barber - he detailed exactly why "unfortunately" he hadn't been successful this time - and stated that it wasn't the fact he was 11 years old but that he needed a bit more coaching experience. He then detailed some really useful suggestions of how to improve his CV. On top of that he invited my son, his football team, the team's managers and myself and my wife as guests of the club to the home game against Forest. There was also a lovely article in the match day programme about my son (with photo). He greeted us on the day and we were able to go pitch side before the match - the boys got to sit in the dugout and watch the players come out to warm up. Just the most amazing gift for any 11 year old (and 40 year old!!).
It has certainly fired up my son's ambitions and on the back of this he is now helping out with caching the under 8 team at his club (means even more driving him around at weekends!!)

I am massively impressed with the time and care Paul Barber took, especially considering how much must be on his plate at this time. So yes he is a thoroughly likeable and decent person

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
He gets a lot of stick on here, where people essentially make him out to be the fall guy for everything and anything people dislike about the club, off, or even on, the field these days. Then, every now and again, I read someone offering a contrary view once they have had dealings with him. Today, that has included me, so here goes.

Background. I've been emailing the club fairly regularly, without response, about my plans to NOT renew, and my wishes for a couple of my friends to transfer into our seats. On my 4th attempt today, I cc'd Paul Barber. BANG, I get a response today, not much more than an hour after I send mine. It appears my emails were going into SPAM, but clearly Paul checks that, which is credit to him. Initially, my heckles were slightly up as he admonished me for one of my emails being rather terse, brusque even (my words, not his). But we got past that, and he probably did have a point - I was getting frustrated by the silence.

Not only has everything been progressed regarding my request but we have also been locked into a very enjoyable email conversation throughout the day. As anyone who has noticed my frothy ramblings on here will testify, I can go on a bit when I get typing. A couple of times I did ping across a reply to him and thought "meh, that went on too long, he'll never read all that." Nope, read, clearly digested it, and an equally lengthy response would come back. Not only that, but his lengthy replies were from his phone, so he's obviously staying in touch while dashing between meetings or similar. He's certainly not just sat at his desk tapping out the emails.

I won't divulge the exact email, I won't post them on here, not because they were especially personal, or private in their content, but simply because it's none of your business! LOL. But suffice to say he came across as someone very much like me as far as a football fan is concerned. Similar age, same sort of footballing background and experiences, albeit with a bigger club and therefore bigger occasions. Scratch the surface, and he is a very regular bloke, who has the business understanding to run our football club, and the football fan background to understand the wider picture.

I didn't come into today with a strong view of him either way, but I have to say, I'm now very impressed.

He's not like you at all, he'll be attending regularly in future.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I have learned a lot from Paul Barber in my dealings with him.

At the top of my list of learnings has been to add 'Sent from my iPhone' as the signature on my desktop email client as it turns out by doing so and then sending really long emails people are relatively impressed regardless of what I write.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

At the top of my list of learnings has been to add 'Sent from my iPhone' as the signature on my desktop email client as it turns out by doing so and then sending really long emails people are relatively impressed regardless of what I write.

:lolol:

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
I have had a couple of contacts with Paul Barber and thought him a thoroughly decent and professional person. An excellent signing by Mr Bloom and am very happy that he is at my club.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Not a Barber fan - sorry.

However he comes across on a personal basis (and clearly its quite well), the fact remains that since he's been in charge at the club, performance on the pitch has deteriorated. Poyet and Oscar both left under his watch and even though Burke got the hoof, as CEO he also has to be accountable for the complete hash of last summer where we got the wrong manager and brought in a load of players who have turned out to be not very good. I also find his penny pinching on card points and refreshments irritating and his programme notes have a habit of being condescending.

I know his supporters will say there were extenuating circumstances for all these things, but I'm not convinced by him at all.

Awaits flaming.....

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

Post of the day. Nay, of the week. :lolol:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Heracy!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

However he comes across on a personal basis (and clearly its quite well), the fact remains that since he's been in charge at the club, performance on the pitch has deteriorated. Poyet and Oscar both left under his watch and even though Burke got the hoof, as CEO he also has to be accountable for the complete hash of last summer where we got the wrong manager and brought in a load of players who have turned out to be not very good. I also find his penny pinching on card points and refreshments irritating and his programme notes have a habit of being condescending.

I know his supporters will say there were extenuating circumstances for all these things, but I'm not convinced by him at all.

Awaits flaming.....

No flaming here but I have made a u turn. I don't know what extenuating circumstances you have for that shambles of a summer or for turning a team full of ex-internationals in to one full of Gary Gardner and five foot six strikers. I know these things are not his REMIT but they happened on his watch. FACT. If my company starts performing badly all eyes are on its leaders at directorate level..

However.....

Some things are not in doubt. That he is TBs trusted right hand man. That he has improved the financial results of a club that was heading for Shitsville Arizona sans paddle financially. That he turns up to as many fans forums as possible, talks honestly and takes on feedback. That he'll email you back at 10pm even if he finds what you've written inaccurate and/or annoying. And then the recovery began....

We managed to not have Sami in charge any more without losing a large sum of cash. We treated Nathan Jones in such a way as he got us a couple of cracking results but was then happy to revert to a coaching position. We appointed a GREAT manager, And Kayal looks to be one of the bargain signings of the January window anywhere. We will stay up. What's more the club are trying to sort out the singing section proactively and have played a blinder on season ticket prices. The 18-21 category is exactly what's needed.

There is an anti Barber (and Sami and Burke) rant on my blog. There's a whole series of messages on various media I sent and replied to during and straight after Millwall. I don't regret them because at that precise moment many of us thought the club was off to hell in a handcart (or at least off to League One in a cut price coach). The recovery has been genuinely pleasing. The fans are being listened to, but only when what they ask is reasonable, which is how it should be. I think I was wrong. Sod it, I know I was wrong (though not about Sami and David Burke).

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Poyet and Oscar both left under his watch and even though Burke got the hoof, as CEO he also has to be accountable for the complete hash of last summer where we got the wrong manager and brought in a load of players who have turned out to be not very good.

Out of interest, what are your views on Tony Bloom's accountability for the above?

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

Awaits flaming.....

Burn him at the stake!!!

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Out of interest, what are your views on Tony Bloom's accountability for the above?

I honestly have no idea how hands on Bloom is, but he has a lot more money at stake in the club than Barber. Clearly he pays Barber a lot of money to do something so cannot be immune to criticism.

But it was his money that paid for the Amex so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there

I agree. He'd make someone a lovely PA

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here