Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Derby season ticket renewals - we could learn a lot

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
Derby have released the following statement and pricing structure for next season...

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/secure-your-seat-for-the-201516-season-2252871.aspx
http://www.wearederby.com/buy-tickets/season-tickets-prices-information/

Couple of ideas we'd do well to look at:
1) Early bird discounts = extra incentive
2) No mention of a rise should they get promotion = i.e. fans not feeling like theyre being mugged off
3) Reduced price for those renewing, further reduction on those renewing after more than 1 year = increased loyalty, extra incentive for those thinking twice about renewing

I think point 3 especially would be nice to see at the Albion. There are season ticket holders from the Gillingham and Withdean days who pay exactly the same price as someone who just walks in off the street. Pretty poor.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Ticket prices frozen - check
New discount bracket for under 21's - check
Subsidised travel extended - check
Still people complaining - check

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Derby have released the following statement and pricing structure for next season...

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/secure-your-seat-for-the-201516-season-2252871.aspx

Most of our season ticket holders pay by interest free Direct Debit, Derby are charging 7% for people paying via that method. Early bird discounts do not really work under those circumstances.

2) No mention of a rise should they get promotion = i.e. fans not feeling like theyre being mugged off

Agreed here, I have always been surprised by the number of our fans who seem happy to pay extra for premier League football when the club would be earning an extra £80m per year.

3) Reduced price for those renewing, further reduction on those renewing after more than 1 year = increased loyalty, extra incentive for those thinking twice about renewing

I think point 3 especially would be nice to see at the Albion. There are season ticket holders from the Gillingham and Withdean days who pay exactly the same price as someone who just walks in off the street. Pretty poor.

See above, our direct debit option is better than any of these early bird/loyalty savings, in my opinion.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Hard to offer an early bird discount when pretty much everyone pays over 12 months interest free but I guess for the very few who do pay up front.......

Extra discount for withdean or Gillingham STH's........."I'm a better fan than you"........ How long does this carry on for?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

If I paid £20 to see a band play 10 years ago and tickets for their current tour are £40, should I expect to pay less than people who didn't see them 10 years ago?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Ok - fair enough.

If ST prices are lower for those people who have held a ST for longer then either:

a) total revenue is lower than it currently is (unless you're arguing that more current ST would renew if the price was dropped a bit). The most likely part of the cost structure to be hit in order to keep the loss at the same level is the playing budget. OR...

b) the price of "new" ST would have to increase above the current levels in order to keep total revenues the same. This might mean fewer "new" people signing up.

How do you think the relative prices should pan out, and would you be happy for total revenue to drop?

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
Hard to offer an early bird discount when pretty much everyone pays over 12 months interest free but I guess for the very few who do pay up front.......

Extra discount for withdean or Gillingham STH's........."I'm a better fan than you"........ How long does this carry on for?

Would be interesting to see the stats. All the STHs I know pay up front.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
b) the price of "new" ST would have to increase above the current levels in order to keep total revenues the same. This might mean fewer "new" people signing up.

When of course, lots of retail industries have learnt that the exact opposite maximises revenue. Discount "new" season tickets and we would increase the take up among new supporters, many of whom would start to pay "full price" in subsequent seasons.

The only downsides are a game of musical chairs as fans cancel existing tickets and buy new, pretending to be a "new" supporter; and p*ssing off the remaining season ticket holders who don't want to move but will actually end up renewing at the higher price anyway.

Win/win for the club, but thankfully a step too far even for ours!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here