Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Match of the Day Tonight - Refereeing standards

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I am starting to wonder about the refereeing standards - for me, 3 blatant penalties tonight not given, 2 for Leicester and 1 for Newcastle. Stonewall. Surely the refs have to get more of these calls right than they get wrong?? And yet you see the ones given where no contact has been made at all. Bizarre.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It has ever been thus. Nothing has changed, apart from the scrutiny they're under, thanks to the media.

Believe it or not, they get substantially more right than wrong, pretty much everything they do in a game in fact. But obviously it's only the errors that people will notice.

Dec 29, 2011
900 minutes of football to choose from and you can only think of 3 wrong incidents, this makes me think refereeing standards are ok at the moment.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm impressed that you can watch MOTD in Japan.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Both were against massive clubs at the top of the league, this is not something we should be shocked by anymore. Not saying it's some massive cover up, but it's just the way it is, stonewall pens against United, City, Chelsea just don't happen as often.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Both were against massive clubs at the top of the league, this is not something we should be shocked by anymore. Not saying it's some massive cover up, but it's just the way it is, stonewall pens against United, City, Chelsea just don't happen as often.

This. Saints v Liverpool, Saints could have had 3 penalties including 1 where player was taken out by 2 players & neither touched the ball. Had it been the other way around..

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Ever since Collinni did a presentation about goal line officials I have thought that this is the way forward. Professionals footballers are so quick these days, I think an extra pair of eyes would assist greatly for very little extra cost.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Ever since Collinni did a presentation about goal line officials I have thought that this is the way forward. Professionals footballers are so quick these days, I think an extra pair of eyes would assist greatly for very little extra cost.

I remember the goal line official advising the Ref to send the wrong player off for Fulham in Europa league. So not exactly fool proof. In fact I don't understand the point of them

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
On the other hand the ref in the spurs game played an excellent advantage which lead to a goal.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I remember the goal line official advising the Ref to send the wrong player off for Fulham in Europa league. So not exactly fool proof. In fact I don't understand the point of them
Nothing is foolproof and the more they work together as a team the better they will get.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Nothing is foolproof and the more they work together as a team the better they will get.

Or the more mistakes they will make. Too many cooks & all that. Too much confusion, opinion & more blame to be apportioned

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I have no idea why anyone would want to be a referee now.

In most instances they're given a few seconds to come to a conclusion about a foul, without any of the different angles or replays available to the media. If the call is right, they might get a 'good call' from a pundit but that'll be it. However, if they miss the miniscule contact that was made in the box, that can only be seen at super slow speeds and from one angle they're castigated by all and sundry for not doing the job.

I would imagine the notion of refs getting worse is actually wrong, marginal calls would have existed since the start of the game, but without the tools to analyse afterwards (and least nothing like now) the refs word had to be final.

All the being said, of course big mistakes are going to be made every now and again, they're only human.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'd have more sympathy with supposedly wronged players if they didn't devote so much of their energy to trying to con the referee into thinking they've been fouled, pushed, pulled, elbowed and such when they haven't been touched.

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
On the other hand the ref in the spurs game played an excellent advantage which lead to a goal.

I thought that there was an obvious head injury sustained at the start of that move which I thought the refs were supposed to act upon straight away. In which case he shouldnt have allowed play to continue. There was no return to show treatment of an injury so I suppose he got it right.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
I was more concerned by the fact that Lineker hasnt shaved off the ridiculous moustache/goatee combination yet. What the hell does he think he looks like? In related news, Dietmar Hamann seems to have a better command of the English language than your average Brit.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Had they been for United City and Chelsea would they have been given/ That is the worry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here