Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Upset about the Trains

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I am very upset about the train service to the Albion matches against Leeds and Derby.

Too crowded and too large queues especially the Derby match, by far the worst I have known.

This will be the single most likely reason out group from Southwick and Shoreham, might not renew our season tickets.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I am very upset about the train service to the Albion matches against Leeds and Derby.

Too crowded and too large queues especially the Derby match, by far the worst I have known.

This will be the single most likely reason out group from Southwick and Shoreham, might not renew our season tickets.

Presumably the number of delays and cancellations after the game was a knock-on effect from the problems in the London area earlier in the evening?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Midweek games are usually more challenging for the trains, and for Derby they were dealing with service disruption on the London line, so less rolling stock was available.

Not sure if there is a financially viable solution available.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Would the bus work as an option? You can get a 25/28/23 /49 from centre of brighton to the ground (well 49 takes you to just by bridge car park) all the above busses run every 5 mins or so and is also free

there is also the park and ride option to Mithras/Racecourse- again free

or then again go to watch West Ham / Tottenham / a match at Wembley and see what post match queuing is all about.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It was accident waiting to happen.

More people are taking the trains now because the alternatives are not any good either.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Dont rely on a 25 if it is getting late as they dont come every 5 mins on match days. We waited 25 mins at St Peters church for one for the last Saturday game at 2.00 and only just made kick off. Apparently, as I was told, they reduce the service to supplement the P & R.

smiler

Jan 12, 2006
Shoreham by Sea

Are you talking about the queues at Falmer or at Brighton after the game going west?
I never have a problem leaving Falmer but it takes ages to get to Portslade as there are no additional trains

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Are you talking about the queues at Falmer or at Brighton after the game going west?
I never have a problem leaving Falmer but it takes ages to get to Portslade as there are no additional trains

Its West Coastway mainly. But for the last two games it was the Brighton to Falmer trains as well. And both ways v Derby.

Going home v Leeds they did put a 12 coach train on which was still crowded. Against Derby after another 20 minute wait there was just a 4 carriage train. It varies somewhat from match to match.

Last edited:

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Dont rely on a 25 if it is getting late as they dont come every 5 mins on match days. We waited 25 mins at St Peters church for one for the last Saturday game at 2.00 and only just made kick off. Apparently, as I was told, they reduce the service to supplement the P & R.

sorry meant between all the services which will get you to the Amex I have never had to wait more than 5 mins

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Contact the transport manager with your concerns.

I've done this before but they redirect the the message to another who fails to understand the problem. It needs a collective complaint.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

This is complete and utter bullshit. I use the same station as you (Southwick). For evening games I catch the 19:05 train, then after standing for approximately 5 minutes at Brighton station I board the Falmer connection, I have NEVER missed kick off.

You're just sulking because you couldn't get the stadium built in your own back yard.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Can you leave Shoreham a bit earlier?

London train is best from Shoreham. But I arrived late for the Leeds match and it was not running for the Derby game.

It is the trains West Coastway being too crowded not just for the football.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
London train is best from Shoreham. But I arrived late for the Leeds match and it was not running for the Derby game.

It is the trains West Coastway being too crowded not just for the football.
The train that goes to Brighton is best from Shoreham, but you know this and continue to ignore it. Again, for evening games I catch the 19:05 from Southwick, I've never missed kick off, there are hundreds of Albion fans on this service. Stop making stuff up to suit your mental agenda.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The only problem last night was the 6.02 from West Worthing was held up going into Hove station where we should have had a 4 minute wait for the connection to Brighton but as we pulled in the connection pulled out.
Coukd they not have held it up to allow passengers to join it. The lady on the platform said it often happens when the train from Brighton to Hove to meet the connecting train from Victoria to Littlehampton often pulls in as tge Littlehampton train is pulling out. With technology and communication as it is they know exactly where a train is so why can they not delay one for 2 mins so the connection can be made.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I left on 86 mins to get back to Bognor by train.
Straight onto Falmer platform and waited about 15 mins. Then waited at Brighton for the 22.14, changed at Hove where we waited in the cold until 22.50 for a train to Bognor that eventually arrived just before midnight.
It took the fun out of the evening and was very frustrating.

Because of the effort needed for midweek games I won't renew my season ticket and will just go to weekend games. It's a case of going soft as I get older (53).
Hats off to all the hardcore fans who travel long distances and get home in the early hours.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here