Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Google chrome malware

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Was clearing out some old e mails today and opened one from years ago from brother in law about a virus on his computer. Since then every time I open Chrome I get lots of pop ups that fill th screen and its a nightmare.

I have used every known malware software etc including the Google download thing but to no avail and was even surprised you could be infected just by opening an e mail especially as I must have opened it when he originally sent it.

Any suggestions about how to cure my poorly computer would be most welcome

Jan 30, 2008
Was clearing out some old e mails today and opened one from years ago from brother in law about a virus on his computer. Since then every time I open Chrome I get lots of pop ups that fill th screen and its a nightmare.

I have used every known malware software etc including the Google download thing but to no avail and was even surprised you could be infected just by opening an e mail especially as I must have opened it when he originally sent it.

Any suggestions about how to cure my poorly computer would be most welcome
red tube should do the trick:thumbsup:watch out for superfish got a removal tool on AVG last night for lenovo laptops
regards
DR

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Was clearing out some old e mails today and opened one from years ago from brother in law about a virus on his computer. Since then every time I open Chrome I get lots of pop ups that fill th screen and its a nightmare. I have used every known malware software etc including the Google download thing but to no avail and was even surprised you could be infected just by opening an e mail especially as I must have opened it when he originally sent it. Any suggestions about how to cure my poorly computer would be most welcome
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/2765944?hl=en-GB

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Statistically Opera is the safest browser, Internet Explorer second safest. Google is just scary to me now, they are too big, largly unregulated (or self regulated) and taking over all types of tech, making the domination firms like Microsoft and Apple used to have seem pretty innocuous.

Opera, IE and Safari all seem to have better security credentials than Google, with very, very little loss in performance, if any.

http://internet-browser-review.toptenreviews.com

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Malwarebytes free ....is all you need

My mum's laptop had a very similar issue to yours and this is what I tried out (I think, I don't remember exactly). It worked.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Statistically Opera is the safest browser, Internet Explorer second safest. Google is just scary to me now, they are too big, largly unregulated (or self regulated) and taking over all types of tech, making the domination firms like Microsoft and Apple used to have seem pretty innocuous.

Opera, IE and Safari all seem to have better security credentials than Google, with very, very little loss in performance, if any.

http://internet-browser-review.toptenreviews.com

I've used opera for years, it's a tidy little operating system. Their iPad browser is a bit clunky, but for PCs and laptops I wouldn't consider using anything else.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Malwarebytes free ....is all you need

Had already tried that without success. I actually have a paid version of Superantispyware running which has been fine until this little incident. I am still a bit surprised this happened after opening an e mail as there were no attachments involved. Maybe that was just a coincidence and it came from elsewhere.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Google is just scary to me now, they are too big, largly unregulated (or self regulated) and taking over all types of tech, making the domination firms like Microsoft and Apple used to have seem pretty innocuous.

As a matter of interest,what regulations do you think apply to Microsoft and Apple that don't apply to Google?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As a matter of interest,what regulations do you think apply to Microsoft and Apple that don't apply to Google?

The answer is 'none', give or take.

The significant difference, however, between Google (and Facebook for that matter) and Apple (and, Bing aside, Microsoft) is that to Google and Facebook I am the product. They sell me, and what they know about me, to advertisers. The more they know the higher the price they can command for me.

To Apple I am a customer - they sell products to me.

I'm not complaining about Google, BTW, just highlighting the difference. It's the price we pay for choosing free services - Google needs to pay for them somehow.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

I think Bozzas answer below puts what I meant more clearly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here