Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet and Bridcutt

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Without wishing this to be a "He's gone, can't everyone move on" thread, I can't believe there's no mention of either or both of them on here this morning (unless I've missed it).

Gus' antics with the water bottles and 'altercation' with Steve Bruce? Then getting sent to the stands, and the "Tha' football blah blah blah..." after the game.

I was driving back from the airport last night so couldn't make the Derby game (and out of range for Radio Sussex), so I was listening to Talksport. Apart from saying that Sunderland were getting ripped apart for the entire first half, Michael Gray stated that "Liam Bridcutt is not good enough for the Premier League". Says he's watched him six or seven times and couldn't believe that Wickham was on the bench, while the likes of Liam were getting starts. Pretty scathing stuff.

So is this what people expected of these two when they moved from the Albion, or do you think they would have fared better?

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Without wishing this to be a "He's gone, can't everyone move on" thread, I can't believe there's no mention of either or both of them on here this morning (unless I've missed it).

Gus' antics with the water bottles and 'altercation' with Steve Bruce? Then getting sent to the stands, and the "Tha' football blah blah blah..." after the game.

I was driving back from the airport last night so couldn't make the Derby game (and out of range for Radio Sussex), so I was listening to Talksport. Apart from saying that Sunderland were getting ripped apart for the entire first half, Michael Gray stated that "Liam Bridcutt is not good enough for the Premier League". Says he's watched him six or seven times and couldn't believe that Wickham was on the bench, while the likes of Liam were getting starts. Pretty scathing stuff.

So is this what people expected of these two when they moved from the Albion, or do you think they would have fared better?

.... :yawn:

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
About as expected, I am genuinely surprised Poyet's done as well as he has with Sunderland, although there is a real element of luck in the manner he's kept them up the last 2 years. The only surprise of any kind with Bridcutt is that he continues to get starts, because everyone knows he is rubbish. Obviously he has Poyet's ego to thank for that.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

Michael Gray wants Wickham starting in the middle of midfield, I'm sure that will work!

To be honest, I don't feel sorry for Bridcutt I would have liked to have seen him do well but its not worked out for him, I cant see him being given a chance by another Prem club either. Once Gus is sacked I'm sure he will be out the door.

As for Gus, he took the first job that come up, the Sunderland job has always been a tough Premier League role to fill. A lot of expectation from the fans, however previous managers pay out big money on a lot of the time, very average players.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Can't be arsed with these types of threads about Poyet or Bridders but when they were here i loved football and going. Great days. What happens elsewhere with them both i couldn't careless.

Maybe Liam is having trouble focusing.

Hope the little shit fails badly, glad he's being found out at that level.

Not that I'm bitter at all though.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
He's gone, can't everyone move on.

I set them up... :thumbsup:

Michael Gray wants Wickham starting in the middle of midfield, I'm sure that will work!

To be honest, I don't feel sorry for Bridcutt I would have liked to have seen him do well but its not worked out for him, I cant see him being given a chance by another Prem club either. Once Gus is sacked I'm sure he will be out the door.

As for Gus, he took the first job that come up, the Sunderland job has always been a tough Premier League role to fill. A lot of expectation from the fans, however previous managers pay out big money on a lot of the time, very average players.

I think it was more about expressing the difference in (perceived) quality, by MG, and how Gus was using the squad.

byf1

Mar 22, 2012
Never really understood the Poyet haters or those that wish him bad now, all seems a bit sad really, it's like wishing your ex gf nothing but misfortune after you split. Poyet gave us 3/4 incredible seasons which involved staying up, winning a league, a great first season at the Amex and then the playoff season that turned sour on the back of the Palace defeat.

The Poyet era involved us playing a brand of football that at times was a step ahead of most teams we played and we had an aura about us, the Amex was rocking at times under Poyet and we certainly haven't seen anything like the gates or anywhere near the atmospheres, take lastnight for example, it's borderline embarrassing how quiet that place is with the tiny exception of a couple of songs once we've scored.

Last edited:

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I wouldn't take Bridcutt back. In Ince and Kayal, we've got players that I'm far more excited about. That's not sour grapes at all, but I'm not convinced LB would necessarily fit so well into the style of play that CH is trying to implement.

I'd have Buckers back in a heartbeat, though.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I wouldn't take Bridcutt back because he seemed to lose it a few months before he left, and clearly hasn't found it since.

I wouldn't take Gus back either. He was great for most of his time here, but you should never go back. And regardless of his success here, it's clear that he's a bit of a nob. I wouldn't exactly be pleased, but I'd be chuckling heartily if Sunderland went down this season. There is no way he can say it isn't his team.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
He'll be useful for them in the Championship if they go down. He'll be one of the players left when their "stars" leave after relegation. He's a perfectly adequate division 2 midfielder.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Bit silly trying to start a fight with Brucey , Gus would have been SPLATTERED all over Humberside if Steve had caught up with him

don't think he would though ............catch him up that is

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

as i stated b4 , Bridcutt is not big enough for a prem midfielder ............skilled yes , savvy yes , bottle yes , just too small for the prem...!! the other bloke , whilst i loved him to bits while he was here has just proved himself to be far too eager to climb the ladder and blame others when his shit falls apart .......would i have him back...?? only if Houghton departs for whatever reason.....results like last nights just bring back the glory days for me .....feckin' love it.....

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
as i stated b4 , Bridcutt is not big enough for a prem midfielder ............skilled yes , savvy yes , bottle yes , just too small for the prem...!! the other bloke , whilst i loved him to bits while he was here has just proved himself to be far too eager to climb the ladder and blame others when his shit falls apart .......would i have him back...?? only if Houghton departs for whatever reason.....results like last nights just bring back the glory days for me .....feckin' love it.....

Although its always handy if you could be 6'4'' whilst retaining your technique and coordination capabilities, I really do not see Bridcutt size as relevant, he is tough, dynamic and a willing worker.

If you want to write off his Premiership qualities, fine, but just based on size isnt the answer, there are plenty of 'his stamp' playing topfilght football, plenty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here