Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joe Bennet's booking

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Bennett whacking the ball into the crowd after the whistle had gone, when the Albion had hardly touched the ball and been run completely ragged for 15 mins was the moment the game turned imo. The crowd raised the volume and from then on we seemed to have taken the sting out of them.

I understand Bennett's frustration as Ince had run past him at will time after time, laying on excellent balls that were squandered, missed or desperately cleared by the Albion defence or Stockdale.

I have my doubts about Bennett's qualities as a defensive full back although I really like the attacking part of his game. I think we are going to have to get a better full back for next year tbh if we want to challenge.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Our right back issue is far more pressing...

I would not be dissapointed if we signed Bennett for the right price, but I expect Hughton to bring in 2 new full backs

Both of our full backs seem happy for the ball to be delivered into our box.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Bennett whacking the ball into the crowd after the whistle had gone, when the Albion had hardly touched the ball and been run completely ragged for 15 mins was the moment the game turned imo. The crowd raised the volume and from then on we seemed to have taken the sting out of them.

I understand Bennett's frustration as Ince had run past him at will time after time, laying on excellent balls that were squandered, missed or desperately cleared by the Albion defence or Stockdale.

I have my doubts about Bennett's qualities as a defensive full back although I really like the attacking part of his game. I think we are going to have to get a better full back for next year tbh if we want to challenge.

I think he was more frustrated at the complete ineptitude of the ref and lino combo, as A> The ball had clearly already gone off for our throw about 2 seconds previously, and B> It was given as their throw when it was very obviously ours.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Wasn't he frustrated as he believed we should have had a throw a few seconds before but the decision was not given, play continued and Derby then got the throw?

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I was a bit annoyed about that. It was obvious he would get booked for it and, given how busy he was trying to contain Ince, could have cost him later in the game.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Bennett for me is a difficult one. I stated in a thread a few weeks ago that I don't think he is good enough defensively if we want to be challenging for top 6 next season, he doesn't compare in terms of quality of Ward and Bridge but he is still a relatively young player and he's steadily improved under the current management team. I think he'd be a decent signing if the price is right as it appears Chicksen probably won't make the step up.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think he was more frustrated at the complete ineptitude of the ref and lino combo, as A> The ball had clearly already gone off for our throw about 2 seconds previously, and B> It was given as their throw when it was very obviously ours.

Missed that, my head was reeling with how over run we were at the time

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Bennett has been coming more and more into his own every game. Thought he was very good yesterday, the frustration was due to a poor decision not to award us a throw in a few seconds before.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014

This is the correct answer. That lino was absolute s*it.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I thought last night was one of his best games for us and I think he's massively improved under the current management if I'm honest. He had a dodgy spell for the first 15 minutes of the second half when he was being overloaded but Ince is a class act at this level and with little support he generally coped well.

However, he's also not at the level of Bridge or Ward yet and over the course of the season it has shown.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012

Yes you are right , that is what happened

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I thought he was showing his frustration by trying to kick the ball into the hoardings to bounce back.
.....but missed.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks

I thought the turning point was Stockdale getting the ball changed, whatever was in the replacement worked a treat.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Couldn't agree more.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
A Derby player did exactly the same thing first half when we were awarded the throw and it went unpunished.
I said that at the time what is the difference between kicking the ball away horizontally - yellow card - and kicking it straight up in the air - nothing

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
And yet their guy 5 mins earlier hoofed the ball into orbit after the whistle, in frustration and didn't get booked.
That ref was shiiiiite!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here