Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dunk

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Must admit to thinking he should get some time off after the Bolton game, proved me wrong tonight. Brilliant commanding defensive display blocking several goalbound shots. Well done that man :clap:

Dec 29, 2011
Everywhere tonight. Would like to see us spend £1m on a decent CB this summer, Dunk always seems to up his game when he's alongside real quality.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
The majority of our last-ditchedness was in his valiant boots tonight. Brilliant and heroic. Yes, Stockdale pulled off a stunning save at last, but Dunk flung himself dramatically to seal the deal. How the friggings did we win that game? Dunk, some disgraceful failings in front of goal, the one great save and then Stephens and his muscle.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
One of the things that makes Dunk stand out is his ability to read the game; he can see what players are going to do before they do.

I thought his best moment was in the first half when they broke and he found himself virtually alone against two or three attackers. Drop off... drop off... drop off... attack and win the ball cleanly. Superb defending.

I fear he may not be here next season.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Best display in a long while. None of his frustrating trademark lapses in concentration. If he played every game that consistently he would be a £5m player. Well done tonight!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Dunk is improving steadily but he still makes errors, he defends too deep at times. If he moves this summer it will be one year too early. I think he will play in the Prem though.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Thought Dunk was excellent tonight. A good bounce back after some absolute shockers recently. All in all our penalty box defence was vastly improved last night, much tighter marking and great blocking. Reassuring to see us learn from our mistakes.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I thought he had a really good game last night, making some excellent last ditch tackles. Apropos of nothing, as I was filling my car up for the return journey at the BP garage on Mill Road, he pulled in to fill his chelsea tractor up. I gave him a discreet cheery thumbs up as I drove away which he faintly acknowledged while managing to send facial signals saying "don't stop and get out of your car". Fair enough; but I do worry about the impact that such relative lack of wanting to mix with the fans has on the kids who are just starting out on their fandom journey. This isn't a pop at Lewis - nearly all footballers are the same (Calde excepted, obviously) - just a general observation.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Winston Reid has signed a six year deal at West Ham, which is good news as Dunk was touted as a potential replacement if Reid was to move on this summer.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
He had a very good game HOWEVER:

As [MENTION=258]Pavilionaire[/MENTION] rightly said, he is still too deep at times. There was one incident where he defended fantastically but wouldn't have needed to do so if he'd been stepping up with the rest of the line and played the fella offside or forced him up too..

Also it was him marking their skipper for the free header just before half time. Awful defending - it's one thing to get beat in the air but he let their guy get a full contact bullet in target from 6 yards. Can't afford to do that.

Great player all season but still room for improvement for sure :)

Last edited:

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
Just as well Dunk was on song tonight, because Greer was gash

Crazy statement. We kept a clean sheet against the top team, and third highest goal-scorers in the league and you're saying one of our centre-backs was "gash"?

Greer did well. Not excellently I grant, but well - in particular with Bruno on his side of the pitch, who was being skinned alive by Ward. In particular Greer put Russell in his place - went in hard a couple of times after the penalty appeal in the first half, and was huge in defence in the second half bombardment.

Gash? Don't think kso...

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 3, 2012
Viewing the second half bombardment from fairly close quarters on Tuesday (south-west corner) I was just very happy he was there.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Exactly the conversation I was having post match. I think he'll be moving on, and I think for him (certainly not us) it's probably the right time to do so.

Financially there is never a wrong time to move from Championship to Premier League but in every other respect it is the WRONG time for Dunk to be moving.

His court case is in the past, we have a settled management / coaching staff of 3 former defenders including Calderwood with his vast experience, there's every likelihood Greer may not be captain next season and Dunk has to be a frontrunner for that position. We have some good players contracted for next season, we're under no pressure to sell. I personally believe that Dunk's stock could rise a hell of a lot higher than it is now, it is not inconceivable he could be captaining a promotion-chasing side in just 6 months' time, and if he makes his mark at the top end of the table then who knows.

He currently has faults and these will be ruthlessly exposed in the Prem. Better to iron these out in the more forgiving Championship, become the finished article then maybe make that move and become a starter for the likes of Sunderland, West Brom or Stoke (obviously not Palace!), rather than be a bench player for a bottom three Prem side. Defenders get very little game time when they're on the bench as managers are under financial pressure to chase wins by bringing on attacking players or industrious midfielders.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
He can be a man mountain a times. With an accomplished defender with pace and passing to replace Greer, there's the makings of a great partnership.

Yes, keep wondering listening to BBC Radio Sussex who this "Duncan Greer" character is who seemed to snuff out Derby so well. Sometimes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here