Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It's all the fault of social workers, healthcare professionals and teachers

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Well, that's what you'd thinking listening to Dave Cameron and his pals on the news at the moment.

Just sat here and heard two separate pieces on the Classic FM news. First Dave says we've had a collapse in culture and that he's going to make it a criminal offence for social workers, teachers etc not to report signs of abuse. Yeah Dave, every social worker I know is deliberately neglecting children. That's why they go into the profession. Perhaps you should go and look at their workloads and then look at the support that the State (your bag Dave) is putting in place to help vulnerable children.

Next item up, and Jeremy Hunt is saying that Oxfordshire Health Authority was another Staffordshire Health Authority case and he wants the right incentives in place to make sure that medical professionals don't neglect their role. Yes, ok, but Jezzer, other than just bashing people over the head and pushing the old pointy finger of blame about, what are you going to do to support the medical profession.

Looks like the Tories know they can't win on health and education come the election, so the best thing to do is start smearing the people working in this profession now.

If Dave and co said look, we've got to turn the economy round, fairly tax people and corporations, and then channel this wealth back into the areas where it is needed so that we can tackle the underlying causes of the pressures on our public services then I'd say yeah Dave. You're right. As it is, he's just whinging on again.

They are all useless. Look out. Labour will rush some similar comment out soon - when they should be taking Dave on and saying, yes these things are terrible, but threatening our professionals with legal action is not the right answer.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It's all part of his plan to undermine, destroy faith in and then dismantle the social and welfare system in the UK. Luckily he'll be too busy organising a Pickfords van in a few weeks to carry out his mad ramblings.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
It's all part of his plan to undermine, destroy faith in and then dismantle the social and welfare system in the UK. Luckily he'll be too busy organising a Pickfords van in a few weeks to carry out his mad ramblings.

And of course let's not forget your promise should he stay put lol

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Well, that's what you'd thinking listening to Dave Cameron and his pals on the news at the moment.

Just sat here and heard two separate pieces on the Classic FM news. First Dave says we've had a collapse in culture and that he's going to make it a criminal offence for social workers, teachers etc not to report signs of abuse. Yeah Dave, every social worker I know is deliberately neglecting children. That's why they go into the profession. Perhaps you should go and look at their workloads and then look at the support that the State (your bag Dave) is putting in place to help vulnerable children.

Next item up, and Jeremy Hunt is saying that Oxfordshire Health Authority was another Staffordshire Health Authority case and he wants the right incentives in place to make sure that medical professionals don't neglect their role. Yes, ok, but Jezzer, other than just bashing people over the head and pushing the old pointy finger of blame about, what are you going to do to support the medical profession.

Looks like the Tories know they can't win on health and education come the election, so the best thing to do is start smearing the people working in this profession now.

If Dave and co said look, we've got to turn the economy round, fairly tax people and corporations, and then channel this wealth back into the areas where it is needed so that we can tackle the underlying causes of the pressures on our public services then I'd say yeah Dave. You're right. As it is, he's just whinging on again.

They are all useless. Look out. Labour will rush some similar comment out soon - when they should be taking Dave on and saying, yes these things are terrible, but threatening our professionals with legal action is not the right answer.

Of course the "social workers, healthcare professionals and teachers" should not take any responsibility for doing their jobs properly. If someone makes a mistake or acts in a negligent manner its not their fault. EVERYTHING is the fault of Cameron/Milliband/Clegg (delete according to your political bias).

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
You are of course entitled to your own interpretation of the interview…

It's not interpretation. My issue is that he is not giving any balance. I have no doubt that mistakes have been made. The answer is not to just announce that you are going to bash people over the head for not reporting things. Does he think that they are not reporting matters? Does he not wonder why personnel have not reported matters? Just announcing the threat of legal action isn't getting to the nub of the issue for me. He needs to ask some more searching questions.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
that he's going to make it a criminal offence for social workers, teachers etc not to report signs of abuse.

What's wrong with that?

Perhaps if all those in positions of responsibility in Rotherham/Rochdale/Oxfordshire etc. had reported abuse, and those it was reported to had followed things through, then such terrible abuses of young girls may have been stopped earlier.

Instead, individuals in authority blamed the young people (the victims) and we end up with yet another press conference where we are told it won't happen again blah blah....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-31708492

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's not interpretation. My issue is that he is not giving any balance. I have no doubt that mistakes have been made. The answer is not to just announce that you are going to bash people over the head for not reporting things. Does he think that they are not reporting matters? Does he not wonder why personnel have not reported matters? Just announcing the threat of legal action isn't getting to the nub of the issue for me. He needs to ask some more searching questions.

This.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Reporting suspected child abuse , sexual abuse, will more than likely lead to the reporter being falsely accused of arson and banged up in a lunatic asylum than any action being taken against the abuser.

Fine, penalties, legislation, threaten. How about :

Educate, fund, enlighten, support.

Basically Cameron is saying " if you make us look bad, if you foul up our stats and make us look bad you're going to jail and it will be your fault"

They are setting up scapegoats and it's deplorable and frankly dull.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Pre-election in 2007, what's Dave saying about social workers?

"Their importance in meeting the challenges we face as a society is no less than that of the teachers, police officers or doctors. Indeed, their involvement can often prevent any need for the latter two professions to be involved. Yet the perception of social workers held by the rest of society rarely matches the sensitivity and importance of their work and the skills they need to employ. Quite simply they are often identified as part of the problem rather than an integral and helpful part of the solution. This situation has not been helped by the relative lack of attention given to their professional development by the Government compared to front line doctors and teachers, and the willingness of some parts of the media to point a finger of blame when high profile cases go wrong."

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
I'm personally looking forward to qualifying as a Social Worker in two and a half years. In all likelihood, there won't be such a thing as Social Workers by then and I can sit around in my pants playing Xbox for at least another 3 years.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

Another example of the blame culture. It is always somebodies fault, so lets get some peoples necks lined up.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
You know what this is don't you? This is the highest powers lining up social workers to take the fall when the full extent of institutionalised paedophilia in the halls of power starts to be understood.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
You know what this is don't you? This is the highest powers lining up social workers to take the fall when the full extent of institutionalised paedophilia in the halls of power starts to be understood.

That's just conspiracy theory and gets us nowhere. We just need to start thinking further than blame. We have to look at the deep rooted problems causing all this. Yes, mistakes have been made, but banging on about 'wilful neglect' like Dave is just missing the point. He's gone for a popularist move just before the election. Demonise social workers and make it look like he's doing something to win hearts and minds. They all do it. We deserve better politicians.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm personally looking forward to qualifying as a Social Worker in two and a half years. In all likelihood, there won't be such a thing as Social Workers by then and I can sit around in my pants playing Xbox for at least another 3 years.

Or be banged up!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... Yeah Dave, every social worker I know is deliberately neglecting children.

Sorry, you may not like it, but we've learnt from Haringey and Rotherham that is what has happened. well, not deliberately, that's too far, but it has been done knowingly. We can point to workloads, but the problem core is attitudes and approaches to how information, responsibility and decision are passed up and down the chain of management. you could double the number of people in social services to lower individuals workloads, it wont change how they and the organisations carry out their assessments. this isn't a money problem.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
That's just conspiracy theory and gets us nowhere. We just need to start thinking further than blame. We have to look at the deep rooted problems causing all this. Yes, mistakes have been made, but banging on about 'wilful neglect' like Dave is just missing the point. He's gone for a popularist move just before the election. Demonise social workers and make it look like he's doing something to win hearts and minds. They all do it. We deserve better politicians.

It's not conspiracy theory is it though. It's about to blow wide open in the next 18 months and they are lining up their ducks. It's a theory and one I happen to think has some credence.

But I agree with the rest of your post.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here