Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calling all bikers (non-bikers move along there)

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
I nearly dropped the beemer (BMW R1100GS) in the driveway this morning and it has really f*cked my back up again. So, much as I love her I am going to have to think about changing to a smaller, lighter machine. I'd like your advice, my checklist of essentials are as follows:

1. Must be light, no more than 180kg if poss, hopefully under 170
2. Must be quick, no less than 50hp
3. Must have electric start
4. Riding position not too severe - I don't want a café racer
5. Good weather resistance - I don't want to spend every weekend polishing chrome etc
6. Gotta look nice
7. Gotta be less than £2.5K which is what I reckon I can get for the beemer with all the extras

I've been thinking about a Suzuki SV650 (riding position a bit severe) or even the BMW F650GS (probably too pricey) I like the old Yamaha XT600 but they're not too easy to find and might not be quick enough.

What do you think?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Feel free to buy mine, although a touch over your 2.5k budget...

1349515x800x600_FFFFFF_H.jpg

Last edited:

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
A vote for the SV650. I have a dropped seat fitted to mine and it's pretty comfy (I'm 6'0"). Shedloads of them around under 2K I would have thought. It seems to tick all your boxes. Usually comes in blue, I went for the red 'cos they go faster. ;)

Commiserations on moving on from the beemer. It was a very sad day when I said goodbye to my ST1300.

I didn't lose it completely. It might have been better if I had.
I feel your pain. :(

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
For a daily ride I use a Suzuki Burgman 650. Street cred of absolute zero, but what a machine for everyday use and so easy to ride and megga reliable and so comfy. Would certainly meet all your requirements.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
How old is your current GS and what mileage, might have someone interested in it? It would stop him whining at me to ride mine. Have you got a price in mind or will you trade it in?

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
How old is your current GS and what mileage, might have someone interested in it? It would stop him whining at me to ride mine. Have you got a price in mind or will you trade it in?

It's a 97. Very clean with 42k on the clock. New clutch and ABS pump in the last thousand miles, black with full luggage. Spare pipe. Looking for £2.5k.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here