Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dave Whelan steps down as Wigan chairman and is replaced by 23-year-old grandson

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Was it easy for DW to step down? Rumour has it that he had some leg problems in the past.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Long past time, especially after his promises to do so if he was charged by the FA for his comments a while back.

edna krabappel

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Long past time, especially after his promises to do so if he was charged by the FA for his comments a while back.

To be fair to him, he said he would do that if found guilty of being a racist. The FA stated they didn't believe he was a racist.

edna krabappel

Jul 7, 2003
Apparently his grandson, David Sharpe, ran a family restaurant for a year before it had to close down, costing Whelan £1.3m. Should be fun for the fans.

Giving a 23 year old failed restauranteur the keys to a struggling Championship football club with a manager still under threat of FA charges for various issues? Sounds ideal :D

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I can't see anything at all going wrong with this. Nothing whatsoever. Bye bye Wigan, back to where you belong :D

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Wigan and Whelan got what they deserved for appointing Malky Macky. There is no place in the modern game for Sexist, Racist Homophobic, Anti Semitic people. We will never ever get rid of it totally as the antics of the Chelsea fans in Paris demonstrates but what has happened at Wigan is a good thing for football.

I feel sorry for their fans but that just goes to show that when you have an autocratic ruler with out of date views then eventually their demise will arise. We can only hope another autocratic ruler President Putin's demise is next.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So this young lad managed a fish and chips shop right next to a football / rugby league stadium and retail park and couldn't attracted enough punters. With him as Wigan chairman what could possibly go wrong?

What I would say is that they've had a car crash season and we need them to finish below us, but fair play to Dave Whelan he did an incredible job with that club and I have a lot of respect for him, albeit not as much as I had a year ago.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Could do a job ? At least he got his club into the Premier League

You know what, I'd rather spend 20 years in the Championship than a meteoric rise up the leagues ending in a couple of seasons in the top flight as everyone's whipping boys followed by a quick drop back into the obscurity of the lower leagues with hundreds of millions of pounds debt as the price paid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here